International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Other

Old 07-05-2000, 05:12 PM
FSJ Maniac

Red face

Has anyone ever change an engine over to propane?

In AZ the state will reimburse the cost if you do the installation. This is what I have heard but have not confirmed it yet.

------------------
My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
Old 07-05-2000, 11:59 PM

Thumbs down

Hiya,

Talk to someone that drives a propane truck, namely the propane company employees.

Here the trucks are always in the shop.

eat well

chefmrl
Old 07-06-2000, 05:49 AM
Grease Monkey

Wink

Propane is a pane in the ass, where are you going to fuel up? The grill store? Plus i would be scared of the thing blowing up.
I wish my jeep could run on saltwater or something.
Old 07-06-2000, 09:38 AM

Cool

I saw the propane guy today and there whole fleet of trucks are propane burners........

He said they suck.

But then again...... there drivin fords and chevys, not FSJ's. Fuel Is Fuel!!!

Eat Well,

Chef Mike
Old 07-06-2000, 11:35 AM

Wink

This is a very interesting discussion. Are you talking actual propane or natural gas? A lot of people get twitchy about the idea of propane tanks (or natural gas - my personal preference is hydrogen gas - the only emission from the burn is pure H-2-O) in their vehicle, but actually it's A LOT safer than the current method. Consider this. They can make gas storage tanks that will not burst even when struck by a train. Tis' true. It was on one of those science channels a while back. Now consider the structural integrity of the gas tank you use now. At best 16 Gauge steel that's not reinforced. Filled with a HIGHLY volatile substance like gasoline (if you don't beleive it's volatile pour about 4 ounces into a fire pit and start your fire with it - be sure to stand back and flick matches towards the pit to start it). A filler neck made from rubber, or at best the same 16 gauge metal. Sealed up by a lid that only requires about one half turn to open it. Does anyone recall the PINTO!!!
I remember seeing the trucks powered by natural gas all over town in Phoenix. Think it was primarily the natural gas company running them. Never heard that the city would reimburse for the conversion. I have heard that you get twice as much time between oil changes. Right now it's every 3K miles because fossil fuels are dirtier than heck, so you gotta change the oil to clear out the brack that threatens engine life. With natural gas you can go twice as long between oils changes, because it burns clean.
Course that's not enough of a reason to change over, but $1.62 a gallon vs the price of propane or natural gas might be.
I have never seen the difference in one of these rigs. It may not be that difficult to do. Swap out your current tank and lines with propane tank and gas lines, and then change your carburetor to some fangledy gadget to handle gas instead of liquid. Mebbe a change in your intake manifold.

If you research it more and find out what's involved, post it here. I'd be interested in knowing a little more about what might or might not go into it.

Brenton
Old 07-06-2000, 04:06 PM
Master of B.S.

Smile

You know about 80% of the vehicles in the Marine Corps are run on natrual gas. I have put the natrual gas in and it is an easy thing to do and it runs just the same. The only thing is you must run a tank of regular gas every two tanks of natrual. I don't know why. I would love to do it if I knew how.

------------------
'67 Wagoneer
'79 Cherokee Chief
Swapping parts so I will let you know the stats when I am done.

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeeps."
Old 07-09-2000, 08:11 AM
bignblue

Wink

My dad used to drive a panel truck for the Washington Post that ran on natural gas, and apart from the rotten egg odor and fueling difficulties the only problem I remember him talking about was the high burn-out factor for natural gas engines. He claimed that because natural gas burned hotter, the rings etc. wore out quicker. If this is true, you might be saving a penny but paying a pound if you know what I mean.

Stay cool, guys. This gas price situation *will* change. Remember $2.00 a gallon at the start of the Gulf War? Our turban'd friends are just reminding us who's the heart and who's the as*hole (if you remember that joke). Plus, Unc Sam has about a trillion barrel strategic reserve that he's looking at tapping into. Perhaps if these 43-cents-per-gallon gas taxes were eased...

------------------
'78 Chero WT
401/4bbl/TH400/QT
44s F&R
"Jeep: the toughest 4-letter word on wheels"