International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Drivetrain

Old 08-22-2000, 10:50 AM

Question

I just bought a "87 Grand Wagoneer w/84K on it. It's in excellent condition, no rust....yet. I need to get it ready for the beach quick, it goes to Nantucket in 3 weeks. I would appreciate any advice or experience with this. I am considering a lift, skid plates and tranny cooler. My jeep buddy said to leave the suspension as is, since it rides so well, but I'm worried about the axles getting hung up. I only paid $2k for this beauty, so money spent will be worth it. Glad I found this site, very cool stuff, any and all help is appreciated. Surf's UP!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2000, 11:57 AM
MonsterMash

Wink

I assume you'll be able to actually drive on the beach so my first suggestion is to get a good air gauge which is calibrated for low psi (something between 0 and 20 psi) because the biggest advantage you can give yourself on sand is low tire pressure (8-10 psi works good and doesn't compromise your bead too much). Conversely get an air compressor. Even a plug into the lighter model will be helpful. The more powerful the compressor the better since it takes some force to inflate your tires on the rig. I'd also get an E-Tool or good short handle shovel, a good tow strap, a high lift jack (and a piece of thick plywood to set it up on)and something for increasing traction in the event you get stuck ( I have used carpet pieces with good results--just unroll them under a couple of tires after jacking works real well).

As far as mods to your rig-- wider tires, a tranny cooler is always nice, a REALLY good air cleaner to keep the sand out, and maybe some high power off-road lights for nighttime excursions.

I've always enjoyed wheelin' on the beach and I've never found any extensive modifications necessary. Have fun!!

------------------
'84GW360--"Spinner"
And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.
Old 08-22-2000, 12:09 PM
MonsterMash

Wink

Another thing is that I usually use my hitch or the welded tow ring that someone welded on the front frame of my rig for pulling myself or others out of holes,etc. Be sure you have some attachment points for your tow strap (use only frame mounted tow points--ie. not springs or the like).

------------------
'84GW360--"Spinner"
Old 08-22-2000, 12:17 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

Wink

you already have ferry reservations for your rig right? have you made inquiries regarding oversand permits? these may present problems for you. as for mods none are really needed. have a good shovel,a tow strap,3or 4 sq' of 3/4" plywood. the dune environment is fragile,stay off the grass. keep your speed down.once you start spinning wheels you're in trouble. dont get too close to the waters edge,wave action sometimes makes a soup like quick sand. the salt environment is rough on metal. i'm on my 5th beach jeep in 17 yrs. happy motoring

------------------
'88 gwag,pure stock
Old 08-22-2000, 12:28 PM

Smile

If you are going to consistantly go into deep sand you may want to consider a lift of some sort, my rig was bottoming out in the hatteras sand you could see where the gas tank skid plate went across. It also collected quite a bit of sand on the underside from the crossmember kicking it up. I passed up quite a few people being pulled out, but the beast kept going. The tires I had were all terain most opinions tend to lean towards less agressive tires.

------------------
Brazzy
Formerly abused 87 G.W. 162k stock
TOW,PKG,727,229,360
THE ROLLING REBUILD
Old 08-22-2000, 12:44 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

Floatation is the Key in sand.. Letting air out on sand is for this purpose more than gripping ability. The larger the surface area of tire you have on the ground the more you will stay on top of the sand. Here in Michigan we have the Silver Lake sand dunes, and we let our tires down to 12, 10 and sometimes 8 PSI. and can easily go anywhere. But do it in steps till you are getting the floatation you need. Go to low and loose a bead.. then you better have a real compressor or a can of ether to get that tire back on the rim..

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 08-22-2000, 01:56 PM
Master of B.S.

Smile

Inflating a tire with ether is not the most prefered method but it is the quickest. If you do it wrong this is what will happen... So be very careful if you don't know what you are doing.

(as everyone can see I am having fun with the new smiles)

------------------
'67/'79 Wagoneer mix
"Old Timer"
Body of a 33 year old
Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
Spirit of a 1 year old.
360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."
Old 08-22-2000, 02:01 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I know a guy that against everyones cautions put to much ether in a tire once at silverlake.. anyway no one or nothing was harmed and it was just comicall but no doubt the danger is very reall .. anyway this guy sent a 33 on a rim about 15 feet into the air.. (at the top of test hill,only to have it land and roll way the h**l down to the bottom of the dune.). Only try this if you know how to do it safely, and then if its the only way left. By the way the reason the tire was off the rim was because a sand rail flying up the hill struck his parked rig right in the left rear tire, knocking it off the rim easily at the low pressure......

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 08-22-2000, 03:50 PM

Wink

being originally from the sunshine state,I would recommend saving the mods till later.If your rig is going to spend alot of time near or on the coast in years to come,invest a couple of hundred clams in a few gallons of duraback or some sort of roll on liner. start on the undercarraige. Take out your interior. Do the floor etc. Then in months/years to come you will have something to add to. Ask anyone with a J-series how salt and Jeep body panels get along.
Old 08-22-2000, 04:05 PM

Wink

Thanks all for the quick replies!!! I guess I should have made it clearer that I've been driving on the beach for years, this will be my 4th trip to Nantucket, and yes the sand is soupy near the water!!! This will be my first experience with a "JEEP" or FSJ! My concerns were with the tranny, sounds like a cooler would be worth it?....and, are there A/M Skid plates, that front pumkin looks very vulnerable. I guess the lift doesn't do any good without bigger wheels, which as you said aren't what makes it "GO".
Are there any known issues with trannies, rears or other parts, that I might have looked at prior to venturing 7 miles off the nearest road? I've been running it hard the last few days hoping that any weakness will show before I commit it to the Beach, what about that skimpy looking 4WD switch, I'm used to a big stick to punch it in? Hope this makes it clearer....Thanks again, u guys are more reliable than the cavalry!!!!
Old 08-22-2000, 04:35 PM
304 AMC

Cool

porkchop
that smiley is awsome.howd ya do that?

------------------
mark
79 cherokee chief
11 in lift 42 in swampers
(ABOVE THE LAW)
Old 08-22-2000, 06:40 PM
MonsterMash

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pheesh-phinder:
This will be my first experience with a "JEEP" or FSJ!

Are there any known issues with trannies, rears or other parts, that I might have looked at prior to venturing 7 miles off the nearest road? I've been running it hard the last few days hoping that any weakness will show before I commit it to the Beach, what about that skimpy looking 4WD switch, I'm used to a big stick to punch it in? Hope this makes it clearer....Thanks again, u guys are more reliable than the cavalry!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a nice running 360 motor is a darn good mill. They tend to run a little hot in my experience and from what my friends say so I'd make sure the coolant is in good order and the belts are sound. The Chrysler tranny is very tough and if it's functioning well then you shouldn't anticipate any problems. I prefer a tranny cooler just because it's so cheap a preventative to a possible major crisis. We all know what the #1 killer of automatic transmissions is and if you can keep it cool then your decreasing the possibility of heat related damage. AMC used a well tested front-end and disc brakes and as long as your vacuum lines to engage the front end are in good shape it should work fine. I had a line shear off on the fire wall which I field repaired with a WD-40 squirt tube I stuck into both ends (fit perfectly and everything worked until I fixed it a couple of weeks later). That's the only problem I've had with my front-end in almost 100k miles. I'm not sure what rear-end you have (maybe a Dana 44 like your front-end??) but with the exception of the slop factor the FSJs have top notch running gear. As long as your transfer case shifts into 4 wheel and into/out of low range it should be fine. You might want to check or change your fluids since you just got your rig. Other than that, with aired down tires and a well tuned motor I don't know of a better rig to plow the sand.

------------------
'84GW360--"Spinner"
Old 08-23-2000, 01:01 AM
Grease Monkey

Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray Stephens:
If your rig is going to spend alot of time near or on the coast in years to come,invest a couple of hundred clams in a few gallons of duraback or some sort of roll on liner. start on the undercarraige<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ray,
Can you (or anyone) tell me more about the effectiveness and application of duraliner (or whatever else) or anything else about salt protection. I'm fixin' on "garaging" my 89GW for the winter if I can't do something to protect it from road salt, and I REALLY want to drive it this winter.

-Kip

Old 08-23-2000, 03:46 AM
Grease Monkey

Wink

Driving the big Jeep on the beach sounds like a blast. My jeep, a 79 cherokee has allways been a work truck(plowing, towing, hauling) It is great! It never breaks and has yet to let me down. I would really be concerned about corrosion. My truck has a lot of rust. So much that I will probably have to retire it in a year or so.
Old 08-23-2000, 10:29 AM
Master of B.S.

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark:
porkchop
that smiley is awsome.howd ya do that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are all just one big happy family....

You can find some nice ones here and do some of your own. GMKiller hooked me up with the site. http://smilecwm.tripod.com/

------------------
'67/'79 Wagoneer mix
"Old Timer"
Body of a 33 year old
Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
Spirit of a 1 year old.
360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."
Old 08-24-2000, 01:27 PM

Talking

Thanks MonsterMash, I really appreciated the insight, ordering a tranny cooler now! I'm also looking into where I can find a front skid plate. I've been driving this baby for a week now, and I get out of it, look at it and say, "that's a **** nice pheeeshmobile!"

There have been a few well loved pheeeshmobiles in the past, mostly imports, the last was a '97 Montero, which came from the factory already rigged for the beach, never left me stuck once! But my best pheeeshing buddy "Putz", has always had Jeeps, and I always taunted him because I'm in the car industry, and some of the newer models haven't had the best reliability records, but I think I'm falling in Love with this one. He was drooling when we fished on Sunday with it LOL!!
This 360 purrrrrrs, and I'm actually pulling 13mpg....hahah....seven days on the sand will either leave me wanting to smoke a cig at the end or filing in divorce court, but from everything I've read from you guys, I'm expecting the best!!! Thanks for all of your advice and I'll keep ya posted
[quote]Originally posted by MonsterMash:
[b] Well, a nice running 360 motor is a darn good mill........