• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlickKipper
    258 I6
    • May 26, 2000

Wag's stallin'

What happens is, after it's been sitting overnight, I go to start it up and it starts up great, but when I put it in gear it stalls out unless I let it warm up for 10 or 15 minutes. Otherwise, it runs just fine; doesn't stall or hesitate any other time.
    I'm going to replace the fuel filter (original equipment) but I doubt that'll make much difference.

Don't want to throw in a Jacobs till the things operating properly, although, I suppose it'd "fix" the problem.

------------------
    1989 Wagoneer,
    K&N air filter
    jeep pic

"ahh, i love the smell of 11 year old differential oil in the morning"
    Well fellas, I\'m ashamed to admit that I sold my GW to a family friend, Fall 01. Got t\'hankerin\' for a motorcycle, and I was also in dire need of a daily driver, gas was \'spensive and I was runnin\' outa\' dough for Elsie (the GW) so there ya go. I won\'t mention brands of m\'new stuff \'cause we all know Jeep isn\'t making any p/u trucks or motorcycles these days, but I sure do miss participating in the club.
  • Puslinch
    232 I6
    • Apr 22, 2000

Check your EGR valve and make sure it's not open when the engine is cold. That's a cause of stumble and stalling. While you're there check your vacuum lines and make sure they are hooked up and none are cracked and leaking. The CTO's are another cause of poor cold engine performance. I'll bet it's the EGR or vacuum related.
    ---------------<br />Puslinch<br />90 Grand Wagoneer<br />Holley Projection 2DI

Comment

• SlickKipper
      258 I6
      • May 26, 2000

Sounds good, although, it's just been reported to me that the vehicle (warm) isn't starting now...it cranks, but it goes "gigigigigigig" and there's smell of gas.

Could that be a cylinder not firin'? I think i mighta' gummed up one of the plug wires when i pulled the boot off eh?

b/t/w: i just gotta admire a message board that can keep up with the speed of an fsj's mechanical failures...
      Well fellas, I\'m ashamed to admit that I sold my GW to a family friend, Fall 01. Got t\'hankerin\' for a motorcycle, and I was also in dire need of a daily driver, gas was \'spensive and I was runnin\' outa\' dough for Elsie (the GW) so there ya go. I won\'t mention brands of m\'new stuff \'cause we all know Jeep isn\'t making any p/u trucks or motorcycles these days, but I sure do miss participating in the club.

Comment

• Ralph
        Third Member
        • Apr 11, 2000

Replace your Duraspark ignition module. With that gremlin out of the way, any non-start or stalling problem you have will be easy to diagnose.

By the way, that looks like one nice, clean Waggy you go there!
        We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• SlickKipper
          258 I6
          • May 26, 2000

Yeah, it's in real good shape. Just going to need a few things replaced before it's ready for longer trips further away from an auto parts store.

I'm going to check the egr & vac's & replace the fuel filter, ignition module, distributor cap, plugs and plug wires.

Much appreciated folks.

[This message has been edited by SlickKipper (edited July 12, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
          X