• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rattletrap
    232 I6
    • Dec 07, 2000

does my back seat lay down?

I have a 87 Grand Wagoneer and am wondering if my back seat can be laid down or taken out w/out having to unbolt it. When I pull forward on the seat it rocks forward and seems like it should fold down. I can not find any release on either side of the seat. I need to fit some sheetrock into the bomber and I really don't want to remove the back seat altogether. Thanks.

------------------
    87 Grand Wagoneer/Waggy
    360/727
    dana 44 frnt/rear
    600 cfm edelbrock carb
    edelbrock performer intake
    TFI ignition upgrade
    and one new baby girl/Madison Elise, born 9-28-00
    87 Grand Wagoneer<BR>Renamed \"Money Pit\"<BR>360/727<BR>dana 44 frnt/rear<BR>600 cfm edelbrock carb<BR>edelbrock performer intake<BR>2 1/4 dual Flowmaster<BR>TFI ignition upgrade<BR>Rusty\'s 4\" suspension lift<BR>31\" BFG AT KO<BR>K&N Air Filter<BR>and one happy owner

Yes, you can remove the seat without unbolting it. I found out after I unbolted mine! First you lift the lever on the passenger side to fold the back of the seat forward. Next you tilt the whole seat forward and it will lift out of the notches in the hinges. It is kind of heavy, so an assistant never hurts. Hope this answers your question.
    Dave

Comment

Look along the driver's side bottom edge of the seat (looking at it from the back). There should be a little hook-shaped release lever there that will let you fold the seatback down and flip the entire seat up. There should also be a rubber strap under the front passenger seatbelt (on the door pillar) that attaches to a post on the seat to keep it flipped up.

Comment

Oh!!! That is what that strap is for! I have been wandering what that was for. Thanks Bignblue, I learn something every time I'm on this forum.
        Dave

Comment

• ironroad29
          360 AMC
          • Nov 12, 2000

yea i was cleaning the chero the other day and figured out what it was for .. neat hun

------------------
          "If a jeep can't take you there, maybe you should think twice about going"
          Looking for a j truck in VA.
          1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
          2004 crown vic LX sport
          1997 2 door Tahoe sport
          preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• Gladi8r
            304 AMC
            • Jun 20, 2000

WOW, I feel like a dummy Had the GW for 9 years and never knew that. Always wondered what that strap was for.

------------------
            DON

1988 GW mostly stock, &lt;---Wifey's truck (won't let me "fix it up")

1971 J-4000,Rhino Grille(to be installed)
            360 CID 8.5/1 ratio 2v, 245 HP, 365 ft/lb
            T-18A, Dana 20, PTO, DANA 44 (Front/Rear)
            Soon to be torn down for Resto
            71 Gladiator Pics

78 GW (parts truck)
            360 4v Th400
            Dana 44 F/R

78 Wagoneer Pics
            DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

• SLINKYSLOT
              232 I6
              • Jan 11, 2001

if ya don't use that strap on the seat it scare's the beegeebee's outta the wife
              so have fun
              SLINKYSLOT<BR>87 JEEP WAGONEER<BR>360 REBUILT <BR>30x9.5x15<P>When things get ugly I show people a picture of my jeep. It makes it all better<BR>EVERYTHING ELSE STOCK<BR>160,000 MILES AND GOING STRONG

Comment

• rattletrap
                232 I6
                • Dec 07, 2000

right after I posted I went out and messed w/the seat some more and got lucky. Hey, it does fold up, and come out! Nice suprises are always good. Thanks again.

------------------
                87 Grand Wagoneer/Waggy
                360/727
                dana 44 frnt/rear
                600 cfm edelbrock carb
                TFI ignition upgrade
                87 Grand Wagoneer<BR>Renamed \"Money Pit\"<BR>360/727<BR>dana 44 frnt/rear<BR>600 cfm edelbrock carb<BR>edelbrock performer intake<BR>2 1/4 dual Flowmaster<BR>TFI ignition upgrade<BR>Rusty\'s 4\" suspension lift<BR>31\" BFG AT KO<BR>K&N Air Filter<BR>and one happy owner

Comment

• EEVW
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 12, 2000

Hey 'trap,

Sorry your bio on your 87 G-Dubya. I've got a similar setup except for the Flowmaster ( is that dual exhaust, or dual exit from muffler?)

Just curious about your mpg. I'm at 10-11in town 12.5-13 on the hi-way.

I was hoping for more though.

Regards
                  EEVW
                  SC

Comment

• rattletrap
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 07, 2000

EEVW,
                    It is dual exit from the muffler. I have not been able to get a good reading on my gas milage yet because I wasn't able to fill my tank all the way. The fuel line into the tank was bad and if there was too much gas in the tank it would leak. I just replaced the fuel hose and the vent hose yesterday.

I'm going to start keeping my gas milage in my little notebook on the next fillup. I still have to keep in mind that the rebuilt engine only has 1,000 miles so far and I have the carb a little rich to break in the engine. If I get 12-13, I would be jumpin' for joy. I'm just glad I live close to work.

------------------
                    87 Grand Wagoneer/Waggy
                    360/727
                    dana 44 frnt/rear
                    600 cfm edelbrock carb
                    2 1/4 dual Flowmaster
                    TFI ignition upgrade

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DLyons:
                      Yes, you can remove the seat without unbolting it. I found out after I unbolted mine! First you lift the lever on the passenger side to fold the back of the seat forward. Next you tilt the whole seat forward and it will lift out of the notches in the hinges. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surprisingly, this is something that even Haynes doesn't know about. The section in their FSJ manual on removing the rear seat says that it can only be done by removing six bolts. You'd think the guys writing the manual would at least look through the factory owner's guide...

------------------
                      Bob Barry<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
                      * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/

Comment

• Millerluck
                        360 AMC
                        • Sep 08, 2000

BTDT

I needed to move somthing big,so the back seat had to go. I took out the bolts on one side. Then the hinge fell on the floor. WWha ?
                        I looked at it and it had a big slit in it.

Well the guys at the salvage yard did the same thing. When I picked up my seats it came with one hinge. The other was still bolted to the floor of the doner.

Later

------------------
                        88GW "Mississippi"
                        Black,360,727,NP229
                        D44 F/R,3.31gears,
                        Tracklok F/R,
                        Superwinch hubs,
                        4" Skyjacker no blocks,
                        31x10.5x15BFG AT's.
                        TEAMRUSH UPGRADE,
                        MSD SUPER CONDUCTOR
                        wires,BLASTER TFI COIL
                        Thorley headers,3" exaust,Flomaster

More JEEP
                        88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
                        4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
                        4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
                        http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

• Dean
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 09, 2000

Here's something else, the older ones had a little compartment under the seat that opened so the seat belts wouldn't be exposed.
                          My '66 had it (a water catcher so rust was a problem) and my '78 doesn't have it, too bad.

------------------
                          '78 Wagoneer Limited
                          401/Q-trac W/low range
                          Mods so far, carter 4 bbl., rancho 3" lift, rancho RS5000 & RS9000, stage one of the GB ign upgrade.

Donor rigs, '84 GW, '78 J20.
                          '78 Wagoneer Limited, 401/Q-trac W/low range. Mods so far, carter 4 bbl., rancho 3" lift, rancho RS5000 & RS9000,GB ign upgrade. '85 GW now with reverse, but great body. Donor rigs, '84 GW, '78 J20.

Comment

Working...
                          X