International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5
It may be different for different models but on my 91, I don't remember, but does the side markers blink? I would not think the rear red sides ones do, do they?

Are there any other lights I have left off?

Oh...the map lights in the dome light. I will have to check on those bulbs and add to the list.

Yeah I explained what I used in the above thread for the dome. I'm using white in the maps & courtesy. I don't remeber the # but 1130 sounds right.
I have not used the can bus bulb but it is claimed they will let the sequentail turn signls work Mine don't I could care less. That's just me.
the front side markers are the only ones that blink.
Not trying to be smart but if you've never noticed this then it shouldn't be a big deal. the side markers toggle in a series loop & reqises resistance on both bulbs to work so you would need both the sidemarker & parking to be can bus.
This is theory & I have not proven it would work but I'm told it would & theory makes sense.

I don't recall the smaller bulb but the 194 will work in some of the dash light & other most of them are smaller. It's like the194 but smaller.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 02-04-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
Yeah I explained what I used in the above thread for the dome. I'm using white in the maps & courtesy. I don't remeber the # but 1130 sounds right.
I have not used th ecan bus bulb but it is calaimed they will let the sequentail turn signls work Mine don't I could care less. That's just me.
the front side markers are the only ones that blink.
Not trying to be smart but if you've never noticed this then it shouldn't be a big deal. the side markers toggle in a series loop & reqises resistance on both bulbs to work so you would need both the sidemarker & parking to be can bus.
This is theory & I have not proven it would work but I'm told it would & theory makes sense.

I don't recall the smaller bulb but the 194 will work in some of the dash light & other most of them are smaller. It's like the194 but smaller.

No smart taken. My CJ does not blink but I could not remember about Chief.

So, in theory, I need the resistor bulbs in the side 194 and the front markers 1157. Ok.

I think I have gotten a good list together. Now, I am wondering if 194 is the same as side markers and many dash lights if they need to have the same number of led's in the bulb. May be too much dash light. I may have to experiment. I will have to get everything together and working before I can really finalize the list, I guess.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Master Mechanic

The following have been installed and look fantastic:

2- Front markers, 1157, amber
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-tower-/814/
2- Side Front markers, 194, amber
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/
With resistors
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...se-tower/1127/
2- Side Rear markers, 194, Red
2 -Rear Brake/Turn, 1157, Red
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-tower-/814/
2- Rear Backup, 1156, White
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...led-tower/526/

The side markers in the front have not been tested for blinking yet but I have both the resistor and non resitor and will update the final outcome of these. Also, the side marker or all 194 bulbs will only work in one orientation. I am not sure why but if it doesn't work remove bulb and turn 180 and re install.

The one I have listed are costly because of the number of LEDs in the bulb but I do not see using one with less LEDs with great results. The side markers that came from TGW have 3 LED and the ones listed above have 5. There was a big difference in appearance. Also, the dome light listed a page back and the one from TGW is not adequate. I will have to find a solution.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM

While everyone is talking about L.E.D. lighting, I'm curious to know if anyone is running the truck-lite Headlights like these

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...0001&langId=-1

If anyone knows anything about how they run (beam pattern, distance of lighting, how bright they are, etc..) I'm interested in these lights but would like to know some first hand accounts on how well or poor they perform before I drop the $$ on them

1969 Triumph GT6+ : 6cyl, 4speed, resto in order, (on the back burner)

2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6cyl Cummins, Stock
Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Master Mechanic

I've been wanting those truck-lites for awhile but, haven't been able to justify the cost, yet. I've already replaced everything but the head-, dome-, and dash-lights with LEDs on my J10. I went the cheap route and used assorted trailer lights from multiple places, though.

As for why they have to be plugged in a certain direction: LEDs have to have DC voltage going the right direction to work.

Also, I used a heavy-duty electronic flasher so I didn't need any resistors on any lights.

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars
One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run
I bought LED side markers ... have not put them on yet ... noticed yesterday though ... that my flashers work, but my turn signals dont work
what is up with that!

IIRC, there are two flashers in the fuse box. One for turn signals and a separate one for four-way.

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars
One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM
232 I6

Sorry to dig up and old post

CJ5 did you ever finalize that list for the lights you were uncertain of?

I'm looking to convert all of my lights soon and was gonna use the road map you so kindly provided.

Also, we all love pics if you took any after shots.

No mods just keeping Darkhorse running
Old 09-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

do be aware

You do lose the side marker flashing on turn signal. This is because there is resistance through the incandescent bulb filament back to the flasher this is because of the bulb & the flasher & the goofy wiring in series with ground. I could care less if mine doesn't do that BFD.
90% of folks don't even know they flash. BTW if you use electronic flasher that will quit working also. It's only a problem if you let it be.
It creates no other issues.

Glad someone resurrected this thread. lots of info.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 09-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
232 I6

Yeah I read the whole thread .

I actually did know that the side markers flash asynchronous to the front turn signal indicators. This was due to a recent traffic ticket I got and I inspected all of my lights and signals.

I'm thinking on simply rewiring the side marker so that they flash together with the front turn signals by placing them in series behind the turn signal itself. Not sure why no one has suggested this yet, maybe ya'll know something I don't.

I cleaned, repaired, replaced the whole engine harness already so I guess a little bit of work on the front chassis harness is next. I'll do the headlight relay mod at the same time.

Haven't decided yet if I want your kit serehill because I want to see how the wiring is and looks first anyway.

No mods just keeping Darkhorse running
Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWrencher
Yeah I read the whole thread .

I actually did know that the side markers flash asynchronous to the front turn signal indicators. This was due to a recent traffic ticket I got and I inspected all of my lights and signals.

I'm thinking on simply rewiring the side marker so that they flash together with the front turn signals by placing them in series behind the turn signal itself. Not sure why no one has suggested this yet, maybe ya'll know something I don't.

I cleaned, repaired, replaced the whole engine harness already so I guess a little bit of work on the front chassis harness is next. I'll do the headlight relay mod at the same time.

Haven't decided yet if I want your kit serehill because I want to see how the wiring is and looks first anyway.

Your choice no problem here. The reason no one modifies them is there are no reason to make them blink, they have to burn legally. Hooking them up where they blink only is not legal. Well at least where I live. If you want them to burn on side marker & blink then you need 2 bulbs or a dual element bulb.
You could stick another side maker that flashes only. I'm goofy I just never understood the need.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 02-04-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5
I am going to change over to LED's. I search my tech manual but could not find a chart listing each size bulb so I wanted to see if someone knew off the top of their head.

2- Side Front markers, 194, amber
With resistors
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...se-tower/1127/...

For the above section of the earlier post, is the op saying the ones with resistors are for the side markers if they blink? Why would the CAN Bus version be needed? Sorry still not clear for me from the last few posts, Thanks.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Been a few years sinc ewe went through this one.

The can bus was in theory. The solution is to put resistors on the parking light housing turn signal or high beam of the housing. To get the side marker to blink.
http://www.carid.com/lumen/led-load-...FVKPfgodVxoAeA

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 02-05-2015, 03:29 PM
232 I6

Just remembered that I had not posted my LED installation results.
Last summer I installed LED's in the tail/brake and rear side marker lamps.

I went with Serehill's recommendation of Superbright bulbs.

The tail/brake received their 1157-R45-T (45 element) red bulbs, while the side markers got the WLED-RHP5 (5 element wide angle wedge) reds.
WOW! what a difference.

It's important to use a 360deg bulb in the taillamp so you get max light deflection from the reflector bases of the tail lamp housing. Some LEDs only have elements on the head/end and that doesn't work well as it creates a 'hotspot', light only shows as a pinpoint through the lamp lens.

I decided not to change any of the front bulbs as the lenses and housings are new and were good enough. I feel that the rear bulbs are far more important as they give following traffic an intense 'instant' on and off..sure gets more attention than the OE bulbs.
The only other thing I did was replace the standard flasher with an electronic unit at the fuse box.

The factory radio was nearly impossible to see at night, so it got a Superbright WLED-xHP5 in blue. I find the blue is difficult to read as it glares too much and doesn't look 'factory', so I'll likely replace it with a green version of the same thing.

The heater control area (left side of dash) got 2 'cool white' high power BA9s-WHP LED bulbs. A significant improvement happened there too, but I've since decide to remove the housing and repaint the inside a bright white as the back side has yellowed significantly over the past 33 yrs.

I also replaced the dome/interior bulb with a Vision-X LED HIL-D6W. That sure lit up the place.
'91 XJ, 4.0L,auto,Selectrac,Ramsey 8000,GC upcountry susp
'98 XJ, 4.0L,auto, Selectrac, police package
Old 02-05-2015, 05:43 PM
350 Buick

I got all exited after finding this post several months ago. Bought me up some led's and put them in the tail lights. When I hit the brakes the park lights came on.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 PM
232 I6

Well its been a few months before a post, so I will post my experience with LED swaps...
The Rear......
Brake lights: Red 1157, 7w CREE Q5 LED's with 12 SMD LED's
Reverse lights: White 1156 COB LED's
Rear Marker: RED 194 COB LED's

The COB LED's are those super bright 'plasma' LED's sold in the parts stores for $20 a piece!

All work flawlessly... and wow those CREE Q5 LED's are bright and my reverse lights are a lot brighter than the incandescent 1156's..

Now the Front...
5 Cab Marker Lights: Amber 1156 COB LED's with diffusers
Front Side Markers: Amber 194 COB LED's
Front Turn Signals: Amber 1157, 7w CREE Q5 LED's with 12 SMD LEDs

Cab marker lights are great, Turn signal and parking lights work great too and once again, WOW to those CREE Q5 LED's...

Now the Issue... front side marker lights... I get nothing, in either direction (+-) or (-+) in the socket... Because the LED's in the turn signal/marker buckets can not be used to ground the front side marker lights light the original incandescent bulbs... So now I need to figure out how to wire in a relay to do the switching so I get full function out of the side markers light original... And yes, every bulb worked 100% (other than burning out every now and then) before the full LED swaps and the entire truck was rewired with a 21 circuit harness from BJ's.

I have 6000k HID lights in my headlights and they are just awesome... and ALL LED's everywhere else.

Last edited by BA_051 : 09-14-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Kewel

I did not have the side marker light problem but they don't flash. They burn just fine. As stated many times in this thread it has to be the right lights & flashers. the firs tones I bought were junk too. The I bought the ones Bright lights recommended nearly 7 years ago & I have not touched them since.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 PM
232 I6

Must be wired differently than mine. My side front markers dont have ground wires. They are wired from the turn signal power and marker lights power and ground through the turn signal bulb elements...

I tried the markers in both directions and even tested in other sockets...

And I am using electronic, load independent flashers so no issues there.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

yeah I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_051
Must be wired differently than mine. My side front markers dont have ground wires. They are wired from the turn signal power and marker lights power and ground through the turn signal bulb elements...

I tried the markers in both directions and even tested in other sockets...

And I am using electronic, load independent flashers so no issues there.
I guess they could be wired different. Mine are wired into the front parking light sockets as they came from the factory. I can't tell you what is different.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 09-15-2015, 12:53 PM
232 I6

My side markers have no ground connection. The socket is wired using parking hot and turn signal hot from the factory... Change from turn signal/marker lights to LED's and no more ground connection for the side markers. Only way to get them tonight is either use parking hot and ground, or turn signal hot and ground. Or one of those $50 led drivers...

Heh one of those trailer adapter harnesses will work too... That uses separate turn and brake inputs and combines them for the trailer... But wire the brake input from the parking lights and when you hit the turn signal, it will flash... With marker lights off, it will still flash... BAH! why didn't I think of that earlier... I'll have to do a write up when I do this!!

Last edited by BA_051 : 09-15-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM
232 I6

Well, all went well with my LED retrofit and was able to get full function out of my front side marker lights. I rewired them as follows using a Hopkins trailer converter, part number 48845 and it only cost $12...
I am running all LED's except headlights, which are HID's... Amber 1157's in front, Amber 194's in the front Sides, Amber 1156's on cab markers, Red 194's in the rear sides, Red 1157's in brakes, and white 1156's in the backups. I also had to use a Solid State flasher, EF32SS (do NOT use EL12's found in parts stores, they don't work with 100% LED's as I found out the hard way)

Typical trailer wiring but with a slight modification...
Input side:
Red: Parking Light Hot (instead of brake light Hot)
Green: Right Turn signal Input
Yellow: Left Turn Signal Input
Brown: Removed (Usually parking light Hot for trailer, Its just a pass through)
White: Ground

Output Side:
Green: Right Side Marker Light Hot
Yellow: Left Side Marker Light Hot
White: Side Marker Light Ground

Now The Side marker lights always work with current flowing one direction so its perfect for LED's.
With Parking lamps off, Turn Signals and Side Markers flash together.
With Parking Lamps on, Side markers illuminate, and alternate with turn signals.
And while I was at it, I soldered a ground connector to the base of the turn signal socket in the front and they now have a much better ground...

Last edited by BA_051 : 09-18-2015 at 08:59 PM.