X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarhead_jeeper
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 26, 2016

Suggestions for off road adventures not more than 10 hours drive from Michigan

I've done a couple quick searches on Google but am not really sure I know what to search for because I keep getting results that don't seem to answer many questions.

I'm thinking about going on an off roading adventure with my son during his final spring break of high school.

In Michigan we have many miles of state run ORV trails. To use the trails we must buy the proper stickers. We need an ORV permit as well as the trail permit and in addition we need a state park sticker. All told for a Michigan resident the cost to be legal to use the trails is around $35 per vehicle. The trails I have been on are not difficult. Too easy actually so a little boring after a while.

We have been to Drummond Island Michigan and have found that to be pretty fun, but again the trails are pretty tame compared to what I've seen on YouTube about the trails out west.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go to do some off roading. And what the rules/fees will be in that state. What are the rules for tent camping and what will the weather be like at the beginning of April?

My son has a stock Jeep TJ and I have a mildly built TJ that has an automatic locker in the front axle and a limited slip in the rear. I have a 2.5" lift and 33" tires and my son currently has 235/75R16 tires which are around 29-30" tall.
    1968 M715 6.2 diesel with a 6.5 turbo and a nv4500 transmission
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

We have the Cliffs Insane Terrain back home in Illinois. I've actually never been here but know a bunch of people back home who have. Looks to be about 3 and a half hours from you. It says no camping except for with a special use permit. I don't know what that is all about but I'd give them a call. Worth a shot. Maybe hit a few places along the way, like a mini "Ultimate Adventure" type trip
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• jarhead_jeeper
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 26, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion. I just found this site. It looks promising.

1968 M715 6.2 diesel with a 6.5 turbo and a nv4500 transmission

Comment

Working...
      X