4 wheel won't go off, no heat , defrost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POPPALUV
    232 I6
    • Jul 12, 2010

4 wheel won't go off, no heat , defrost.

Like it says. Eternal 4 wheel. I have barely any heat/defrost by feel. Nothing on straight defrost.
    I noticed a hose disconnects from the top of the fender air "module" , but felt nothing from the hose. (Pressure or vacuum)
    Also noticed this hose disconnected from the firewall air ball a few inches from the main line. I only see this one already pligged hole on the back of the carb and it worked with that plug on last year. Is this the issue?
    Where does it connect to? Im hoping the fix isn't too awkward. Im half a cripple.
    Thanks

Edit. Tried to post pics, bit too large
    Last edited by POPPALUV; 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM.
    Don't trust a man who never curses
    Dog: the only animal to align itself w/ man

1988 Grand Wagoneer "MATILDA"
    1966 Buick Riviera- went under water....
    1971 Buick Riviera SHOW CAR- went under water.
    1971 Buick Riviera ON DRY LAND!!!

• Texas993
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 05, 2017

You definitely need to properly hook up all the vacuum lines related to the pod on the firewall. That is critical for those items to work (4WD, climate).

Do a search for vac diagrams. The pod vac line should be connected to the manifold.
    Patrick

'89 Grand Wagoneer. Gold/Beige. Restored

'88 Grand Wagoneer. Colorado Red/ Tan. Restoring

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Sounds like your vac lines are kaput. The vac reservoir (ball) feeds from a manifold vac source. The ball should also have two exit hose nipples. One running to the 2WD/4WD dash switch. The other hose running to the Heat/Def buttons dash switch. Yours may only have one exit hose that'll be T'd to run both functions.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
        232 I6
        • Dec 15, 2016

Vacuum issue, for sure. Your 4wd selector runs off vacuum, your slide switch for defrost, heat, cool is vacuum, depending on what you select it operates a internal gate to direct air from either going through the defroster radiator or not.

Also, your fan is running fine I assume? You should be able to hear it just fine..
        1977 J20 w/ the 360 V8 with 304 heads formerly known as "401"....
        Edelbrock Performer, Street Demon Carb, HEI Distributor

Comment

• POPPALUV
          232 I6
          • Jul 12, 2010

Ok i fixed it, but this is weird. This is a recent issue. I connected the hose to the rear driver's vacuum source on the ebrock. The thing is, that port has been capped for several years, so i dont know where else it could have been connected.

And i am having trouble finding the schematic for an 88.
          Don't trust a man who never curses
          Dog: the only animal to align itself w/ man

1988 Grand Wagoneer "MATILDA"
          1966 Buick Riviera- went under water....
          1971 Buick Riviera SHOW CAR- went under water.
          1971 Buick Riviera ON DRY LAND!!!

Comment

Working...
          X