International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 01-11-2001, 04:04 PM

Aragorn,

When you say stock chip, can you define what you mean? How do you know the chip wasn't modified? Did you build the system yourself? The chip in my system is a "stock" chip but I had to erase and reprogram it with about 30% more fuel across the board.

TPIGUY
Old 01-11-2001, 04:40 PM
Master Mechanic

hhhmmmm...this discussion is getting interesting.....I am quite sure a TPI injection chip will NOT work on a TBI setup...with the configuration of a dual plane manifolds there will definitely be fuel delivery problems.....

if you have some fabricating skills or some interest in learning there are some really cool systems out there......good luck everyone....remember there are many ways to skin a cat....there is no "right" answer!

------------------
Peace.............BartG

the Green Flash!
360 2v, TH400 QT with low
4" skyjacker Rancho 9000's
33x12.50 BFG KO's 8" American Racing Baja Rims
Thorley headers, 3" exhaust, Dyno Max
Infiniti power leather seats
50%Luxury Car, 50%Tractor
http://www.teamgodspeed.com
Old 01-12-2001, 09:17 AM

Veepster,

I think there is some confusion here. I am saying that in my GM 5.7L TBI system on my AMC 360 engine, that the chip as it comes from the factory would not satisfactorily run my AMC 360. It did start but would die repeatly as soon as I put it in gear. Once I got it warmed up, I was able to gradually coax it out of the driveway and on the road. However, after 30 minutes of driving in my neighborhood (too scared to go further than that), it ran better but still backfired and coughed when I pressed the gas. After I hooked up my scantool, it was clear that the engine was running lean and that the ECM had adjusted the fuel delivery to the limits of its adjustability. I then reprogrammed that chip to have the fuel delivery increased nearly across the board by 30%. This repogramming process took about 2 weeks of driving, erasing, reprogramming, and reburning the chip.

I was not saying that a TPI chip will run a TBI system. However, I do have a Howell chip that is supposed to work in a 4 bbl TBI system using the ECM from a TPI vehicle. My research indicates that it should work lousy and cause come cylinders to run lean. I guess only Howell and those who have one of their kits can answer for sure.