• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guy
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 16, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ralph:
    That's the correct email address. Here's his web page:
    Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey wait a minute. This link worked last night. What happened?

Guy

Comment

• TPIGUY
      232 I6
      • Jul 22, 2000

Guy,

I saw that Ralph had posted my AMC 360 installation website on this forum. Since that site contains detailed information that I consider crucial to my kits, I would rather that site not be public information. I only provide that link to paid customers now. I will answer any specific questions by Email.

Gregario, I have a Howell 4bbl TBI chip in my possession. It came out of an ECM normally used on multiport TPI EFI. My research indicates that using a TPI ECM on a TBI setup causes some cylinders to run lean due to the injector firing frequency difference between TBI and TPI ECMs. But, when I have the time, I plan to test the TPI ECM on my Jeep with a TBI setup. Then I'll compare the Howell chip with my tuning efforts. Right now, I have my hands full filling orders for others.

Gladi8r, What I do is build two adpater plates. One is necessitated by poorly located holes on the 2 to 4 bbl adapter I buy. The other provides two TBI holes on top of any standard Holley square bore 4bbl manifold. In essence, its much easier to install a TBI on a 4 bbl manifold than a 2 bbl since what I do is first convert the 2 bbl to accept a 4 bbl carb. To answer your question, you would already have everything you need to mount a TBI to a 4 bbl manifold if you had one of my 2 bbl kits first. On the performance question, I had a generally smoother running engine, especialy at hiway speeds. It pulled a lot stronger at 80 MPH than it did with a 2 bbl carb. My mileage went from 12 to 15 MPG at 70 MPH.
      _________________________<BR>85 Grand Wagoneer<BR>Tuned Port Injection

Comment

• Ralph
        Third Member
        • Apr 11, 2000

I noted another kind of throttle body injection in the latest Jegs catalog, by Barry Grant, called VFI Injection. Anyone have experience with this yet?
        Find standalone EFI for LS, Coyote, Hemi and more at Holley.com. From engine swapping to managing up to 4000 horsepower, we have a solution for every project!

------------------
        J ust
        E mpty
        E very
        P ocket
        We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• Aragorn
          230 Tornado
          • Dec 14, 2000

I am surprised to hear that a stock GM chip will not function in a GM TBI System transferred to a jeep. It dang sure did on my recent 5000 mile trip from Austin, Tx to Portland, Or and back. Not a hickey.
          The tree of liberty must from time to time be refreshed by the blood of Patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• guy
            230 Tornado
            • Nov 16, 2000

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aragorn:
            I am surprised to hear that a stock GM chip will not function in a GM TBI System transferred to a jeep. It dang sure did on my recent 5000 mile trip from Austin, Tx to Portland, Or and back. Not a hickey.[QUOTE]

Aragorn,

Please email me at &lt;[email protected]&gt;.

Thanks.

Guy

Comment

• TPIGUY
              232 I6
              • Jul 22, 2000

Aragorn,

When you say stock chip, can you define what you mean? How do you know the chip wasn't modified? Did you build the system yourself? The chip in my system is a "stock" chip but I had to erase and reprogram it with about 30% more fuel across the board.

TPIGUY

Comment

• Veepster
                350 Buick
                • May 14, 2000

hhhmmmm...this discussion is getting interesting.....I am quite sure a TPI injection chip will NOT work on a TBI setup...with the configuration of a dual plane manifolds there will definitely be fuel delivery problems.....

if you have some fabricating skills or some interest in learning there are some really cool systems out there......good luck everyone....remember there are many ways to skin a cat....there is no "right" answer!

------------------
                Peace.............BartG

the Green Flash!
                360 2v, TH400 QT with low
                4" skyjacker Rancho 9000's
                33x12.50 BFG KO's 8" American Racing Baja Rims
                Thorley headers, 3" exhaust, Dyno Max
                Infiniti power leather seats
                50%Luxury Car, 50%Tractor
                Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

• TPIGUY
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 22, 2000

Veepster,

I think there is some confusion here. I am saying that in my GM 5.7L TBI system on my AMC 360 engine, that the chip as it comes from the factory would not satisfactorily run my AMC 360. It did start but would die repeatly as soon as I put it in gear. Once I got it warmed up, I was able to gradually coax it out of the driveway and on the road. However, after 30 minutes of driving in my neighborhood (too scared to go further than that), it ran better but still backfired and coughed when I pressed the gas. After I hooked up my scantool, it was clear that the engine was running lean and that the ECM had adjusted the fuel delivery to the limits of its adjustability. I then reprogrammed that chip to have the fuel delivery increased nearly across the board by 30%. This repogramming process took about 2 weeks of driving, erasing, reprogramming, and reburning the chip.

I was not saying that a TPI chip will run a TBI system. However, I do have a Howell chip that is supposed to work in a 4 bbl TBI system using the ECM from a TPI vehicle. My research indicates that it should work lousy and cause come cylinders to run lean. I guess only Howell and those who have one of their kits can answer for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X