International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 PM
350 Buick

A minor update. Was getting ready to paint the dash and remembered I wanted room for more gauges so I made a pocket next to the instrument panel.

Next some pics of the glove box door.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:05 AM
350 Buick

First crack at the glove box door made from the existing grill.

The frame has these studs. Cut them off and tapped those four spots for screws. Also ground some nut down and glued them into the groove.

Formed some 1/4" ABS for a backing. Had to be thick to hold a hinge screw on each side and to mount the latch, which I never got to.

Semi finished:

Gave up on this since it was too tight in the hole in the dash and was so thick it didn't look like I'd be able to make the hinge work since it would have to move outward quite a bit before it started tilting.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Last edited by SJTD : 06-12-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 PM
350 Buick

The final version is two layers of 1/8" aluminum. The inner layer holds the flat head screws for the hinges and latch. The outer layer is for show.

I didn't want to trust screws holding in bottom tapped holes less than 1/4" deep if I made it out of one 1/4" thick piece.

Ready to glue together.

Spent a lot of time trying to figger out the hinging. Stare at it for a while and walk away. Waste time making parts that don't work. In the end it was pretty simple.

These are the original hinges with a little reforming.

Looks pretty good.

Bring on the Bondo!