• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 91G-Dub
    360 AMC
    • Aug 21, 2004

Wiring Issues 1979 J truck

Looking at a 1979 J truck for sale. Owner says it runs but has "wiring issues" apparently related to ignition system.
    I'm trying to get more details but for now that's all I know
    Question is...how intense could this be? Looking at time & $ that might need to be invested.
    Will post more clues as I get them.
    Thanks
    91G-Dub = Bill Houston

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
    1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson
  • Junk Yard Genius
    Banned
    • Apr 18, 2006

You just said 'Jtruck', so we dont' know if it's a J-10 or J-20, I-6 or V-8....

It can't be too bad, the '79 had the Motorcraft distributor with both engines so that's a very servicable unit.
    75 to 85 Ford parts will drop right in for a rebuild (except for vacuum advance) and reman units are very available on the market for under $100.

The module is available every where since it used the same as 75 to 85 Ford vehicles. Around $30.

Motorcraft used an external resistor wire so the coil is common.

The wiring is something else, but not impossible to replicate, but I still haven't found an aftermarket supplier for all the harness sides of the connectors yet...
    But removing connectors and direct wiring isn't at all a problem.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Wiring harnesses are easily found and replaced...
      (Easily repaired too)
      Components are cheap and readily available...used and new.

Impossible to give any estimate w/o knowing the symptoms or problem.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 91G-Dub
        360 AMC
        • Aug 21, 2004

Condition update

It does NOT start from the inside, It overcharges the battery, it has burnt up 3 solenoids since my brother has owned it. The first solenoid caught fire and the other 2 blew up.
        Exhaust has been removed (to install new clutch). Steering column is out but he has all the parts.
        Pretty rust free, very little body damage.

This is a 1979 J truck, 258 6 cyl.

Not sure how much this guy wants. It's local to me. I have as everybody limited budget for repairs if I buy it. Also can probably do some of the work myself with the help of the good folks here.

What do you think?

91G-Dub = Bill Houston

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• brent
          304 AMC
          • Feb 14, 2003

Originally posted by babywag
          Wiring harnesses are easily found and replaced...
          (Easily repaired too)
          Components are cheap and readily available...used and new.

Impossible to give any estimate w/o knowing the symptoms or problem.
          Pretty much what I would say word-for-word. Even if harness is decent, re-wiring from harness to components (alt, ig box, coil, dizzy) is easy, and easy to troubleshoot. Post clues as you get 'em. Even though its easy finding the place to start is not.
          Brent
          79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
          -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• jeepfan93
            304 AMC
            • Feb 07, 2006

Originally posted by brent
            Pretty much what I would say word-for-word. Even if harness is decent, re-wiring from harness to components (alt, ig box, coil, dizzy) is easy, and easy to troubleshoot. Post clues as you get 'em. Even though its easy finding the place to start is not.
            Brent
            Agreed. Those old trucks with the 6 are pretty easy, same as CJ pretty much if not identical Bill. You know how to fix the burning up solenoids so the rest can't be hard. Whole new harness from painless is only about $400, front to rear.
            Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
            >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
            87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
            1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• shackwrrr
              360 AMC
              • Mar 04, 2006

once i get my internet working right i will upload the 79 wiring schematics up to my photobucket and give you the link
              Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• 91G-Dub
                360 AMC
                • Aug 21, 2004

Originally posted by shackwrrr
                once i get my internet working right i will upload the 79 wiring schematics up to my photobucket and give you the link
                Cool thanks
                91G-Dub = Bill Houston

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• shackwrrr
                  360 AMC
                  • Mar 04, 2006

there ya go
                  Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• Spock
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 13, 2005

Excellent Information

Thank you kindly for posting that. I myself am having electrical woes and your post will undoubtedly be of great help.

Cheers,

~Spock
                    The only thing Four Wheel Drive accomplishes is getting you stuck farther away from home

Comment

• shackwrrr
                      360 AMC
                      • Mar 04, 2006

theyre not mine i forget where i got them just to clarify that

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e357/shackwrrr/ go there they are there and theres some more schematics i forget where i got those too and some pics of my truck
                      Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• letank
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jun 03, 2002

hummmm, overcharging the battery

the power is too weak or too strong.... if overcharging the battery helps.... i would suspect that the resitor has too much resistance... or in this case that the coil is not getting the full needed voltage (use a voltmeter on the coil primary)

as for the ignition, you can always bypass the key, use a wire from the battery plus to the blue wire on the solenoid... KEEP HANDS clear from Rotating Fan

Do the ammeter bypass

as for frying solenoid.. there must be a short.....
                        Michel
                        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                        X