International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Master Mechanic

Question

Since I seem to be failing in my quest to replace my stock dome light (The square type), I'm thinking of switching to one of the other types. I know the chrome-truck type will work, but not sure if I want to deal with rewiring it.

So my question is how does the round type dome light attach to the roof? Does it use the same two studs that the other types do? Also, do you use those self-threading type nuts on the studs that come down from the ceiling? Thanks.

[ December 28, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: marcd ]
Old 12-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Master Mechanic

they both use the same self-tapping sheet metal screws that go up into the roof bows. i took my rear round light out and installed another square light with the two reading lights for the back seat. look on ebay. about 15 bux or so.

sm.
88 Grand Wagoneer<br />\"Spruce Moose\"<br /><br />See the Moose at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294</a> <br /><br />AMC 360, DANA 44 F/R 2.72, TF 727, NP 229<br />Jacobs Pro-Street Ignition, Edelbrock 4bbl Intake with Holley 2bbl Analog Pro-Jection<br />Flowmaster 2.5\" 50 Series Delta muffler and tubing<br />K&N cone air filter, Amzoil fluids all around<br />31x10.5 BFG A/T KO<br />Rusty\'s 4\" lift<br />Home-made tube nerfs and bumpers<br />BJs Muscle grill<br />HF,VHF,UHF ham rigs and too many antennas (not)<br />8-Ball shift knob from college (1975)<br />Hella fog and driving lights<br />Kenwood MP3 HU, Orion sub amp, Jensens all around<br /><br />Mileage? We don\'t need no stinkin\' mileage!
Old 12-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Master Mechanic

Thanks. I'd really like to put the chrome light w/ the two map lights on, but I just re-did the headliner and really don't feel like tearing it down to add the other wire. I'll probably do the round light for now, and put the chrome one in when I feel like a bigger project.

Of course, I'd really like a tan plastic square light. Well, I still haven't tried the dealer.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Master Mechanic

you dont have to change any of the wiring! just swap the units out. the required wiring is already built into the housing. works fine!

sm.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Master Mechanic

I had read the article in the Tech Library and it talked about adding another wire. Right now there are two wires going into a connector. Is one switched power and one constant power? That way I can just stick female connectors on each wire and connect them to the corresponding male connector on the dome light?

That would be great (after I trim a little headliner)!