• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by J76137
    Looks that way. I think it is awesome when the kids can share a hobby and more so when they have success with it.
    For sure!!!
    2 hours later.

looking up over the top of my rear window, I have this light surface rust. I was having such good luck with my 400 grit, I tried hitting that rust with it. Bad move. Burned right through. There's one SUPER light hazing of paint up there and no primer. No wonder the rust is poking through. That stays until I paint the whole rig:

I noticed a bit of a ghost sticker under the stripes. I can see "Mexico" and some emblem but not sure what it is. I texted the guy I bought it from (he bought this Jeep around 1981) and asked if he knew what it was but he ignored me. Bummer.

I noticed some of the original stripes are left in the tailgate jams and the backside of the tailgate. These will be handy for positioning the new ones.

Here is where the backside is. removing spray paint, primer and adhesive is pretty much done at this point. I know most of you see an ugly scratched-up dull tailgate, but I see factory paint that is going to look WAY better with the stickers (and not spray painted/blotchy)!

I will quickly hit the whole tailgate with 600 grit, then will paint the panel where the sticker resides with some single-stage Saxon Yellow. Once the paint dries, I will hit the whole back end with 1200 grit, then compound, then polish, then the stickers, then wax.

I also took a quick look at my power steering pump. I have a spare pump in my stash so I pulled it out and started comparing. I notice that although the pulley is seated all the way on the back side (it's on as far as it can go) it is not flush on the front.

That distance inside the pulley looks an awful lot like that the distance that pulley is off from the plane on the front of the crank pulley. Tomorrow I will run over to McParts and get the pulley puller so I can take the pulley off. Hopefully, I can figure out a way to get it to seat farther in... I wish I had a lathe...
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

I'll spare you guys most of the details but I painted the tailgate in the panel where the sticker resides with some cheap single stage paint. I sprayed it when it was too cold out and I did a terrible job setting up my gun so I had more drips than a wicker roofed house in a hurricane. So after a bunch of time, this is what it looked like:

I would like to say that areas where I sanded through were so it did not look perfect and matched the factory paint, but really it's because I suck at painting and wet sanding. Anyway, went from 400 grit, to 1200, to 2000, to swirl remover, to polish. Got it to a sheen that pretty much matches the roof. Then I installed the tailgate stickers. SOOOooooo happy with them! This looks SOOooooo much better and really feels nice! A little victory is nice.

Next up is power steering pump alignment. Then more sticker work. My son wants to hang the headliner insulation, too.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

Man that looks nice!!!! Did y'all buy a complete set.
        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
          350 Buick
          • Aug 19, 2003

That looks great! The decal looks perfect. Is that is the paint you recommended to me? Looks like it does the job just fine.
          Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 05-11-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Cherokee Outlaw
            • Jan 10, 2006

That looks FANTASTIC Marc! Want to help me put my Golden Eagle decals on when the time comes? haha
            -Jonny B.
            1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
            7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
            AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
            NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
            F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
            R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Wagoneer - Sold
            1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• GWNashville
              232 I6
              • Dec 28, 2016

Rang-a-stang project.

I really have enjoyed watching your build. Thanks for all the detail and the inspiration. I have got to get back on my truck, I have been slipping.
              Richard
              GWNashville
              Email:[email protected]
              1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
              727 Transmission
              Sniper EFI Hyperspark
              Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                258 I6
                • Dec 17, 2018

Really killing it Marc!

The decal looks perfect, well done.
                Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
                Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
                PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
                "Soon" is a relative term.
                Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• cu4whln
                  304 AMC
                  • May 16, 2008

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  Then I installed the tailgate stickers. SOOOooooo happy with them! This looks SOOooooo much better and really feels nice! A little victory is nice.
                  Wow! That looks AWESOME !! Very nice.

Love that you didn't have to paint and it looks so good!
                  Last edited by rang-a-stang; 05-12-2020, 12:52 PM.
                  It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                  1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                  1972 J4000
                  1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                  2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                  2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• chubbinius
                    258 I6
                    • Oct 31, 2018

Marc, that really looks nice with the new decals on it.
                    1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                    -Dauntless 350 V8
                    -D27 front/D44 rear
                    2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• J76137
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 03, 2019

That looks great! Are those the Phoenix Graphics set?
                      My carcaine addiction wasted my life but it is a life well wasted.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                        Man that looks nice!!!! Did y'all buy a complete set.
                        Yes sir! Once I have the power steering pump squared away, I will start on the side graphics. There is an upper black stripe that will go on next. I have to address some slightly bubbly rust under the black paint around my rear windows, then I can repaint satin black. That will clear the way for me to do the hood and the belt line black strip.
                        Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                        That looks great! The decal looks perfect. Is that is the paint you recommended to me? Looks like it does the job just fine.
                        Thank you, sir!
                        Nope. The one I recommended to you was even better. The one I recommended to you had NO orange peel or drips and was much easier to spray. This stuff sucked.
                        Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                        That looks FANTASTIC Marc! Want to help me put my Golden Eagle decals on when the time comes? haha
                        Thanks! SURE!!! I love those GE stickers!!!
                        Originally posted by GWNashville
                        I really have enjoyed watching your build. Thanks for all the detail and the inspiration. I have got to get back on my truck, I have been slipping.
                        Haha! Yours is going light speed compared to mine!
                        Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
                        Really killing it Marc!
                        The decal looks perfect, well done.
                        Originally posted by cu4whln
                        Wow! That looks AWESOME !! Very nice.
                        Love that you didn't have to paint and it looks so good!
                        Originally posted by chubbinius
                        Marc, that really looks nice with the new decals on it.
                        Thank you, gentlemen!
                        Originally posted by J76137
                        That looks great! Are those the Phoenix Graphics set?
                        It is! I cannot compare it to the factory set to say if it is better or worse, but this set is really nice. The lines are very crisp and it seems to fit super well... so far. Here is the thread where I asked about buying them:
                        Looking to order some stripes for my Cherokee. Phoenix Graphics seems to have the best and most complete kit. During checkout I notice a "coupon code". the catalog item also says it comes with $20 in coupons. Anyone have some laying around?
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 10, 2016

That looks pretty good Marc. Get that PS pulley situated and plan on a drive to Burbank. I mean, to go for a test drive.
                          1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

Looks great! I always liked the way those Chief decals are In Your Face.
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.
                            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 09, 2009

Dang son!

That looks AMAZING!
                              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by bkilby
                                That looks pretty good Marc. Get that PS pulley situated and plan on a drive to Burbank. I mean, to go for a test drive.
                                I'm tryna!!! more on that below!
                                Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                                Looks great! I always liked the way those Chief decals are In Your Face.
                                I agree! They are tastefully obnoxious! Like my seats!
                                Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                                Dang son!

That looks AMAZING!
                                Thanks! it's a lot of work but hopefully the sides come out like this, too!
                                Went to McParts and checked out a pulley puller. Tried for 45 minutes but the puller would not pull the pulley. So I took it back and went to a different McParts and got another one. I still had to jimmy rig it to work:

this was my pump shaft and housing. Notice there is a slight lip on it where the seal rides and some casting flack on the top (and bottom but you can't see the bottom):

I took a file at the pump and cleaned it up. This allowed the pulley to ride about 1/16" closer:

Then I took a ton of measurements and concluded the pulley face is about .65" thick. I needed the pulley to sit about .25" closer to the pump so I figured I had enough meat in there to machine it out. I asked for some advice here:
                                Pulley Advice Thread
                                and used the advice to "machine" the back of the pulley.
                                Again, jimmy rigged pulley pulling tool to be used to install the pulley and here is what I got. Notice it not sits flush with the pump shaft:

I started it and the belt does not squeal... but then again it hasn't squealed for months so I should be good there. There is so little room between the radiator and the pulley faces it was impossible for me to get a straight edge from the crank pulley face to the PS pulley face but I was able to check from the water pump pulley face to the PS pulley face and it was straight. No pictures because the angle was hard and I could not hold my phone and the straight edge.

I hope to do a high RPM tune today and hopefully it does not toss a belt this time! Oh. And I think my transmission vacuum modulator is leaking at the O-Ring so I plan to try to fix that leak too. it is amazing to me how much these things leak...
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X