78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Bad news, wiped the lobe on #4 exhaust valve. Have no idea what I did wrong. I want to burn my barn and its contents to the ground, but my wife has put all the matches out of my reach!!!!!!!!!! I'am devastated. I will give it A break for a while. Maybe pull it back out in a month or two. In the meantime my son needs some stuff done on his car, luckily for him it ain't engine work.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Man that sucks big time. I'm sorry to hear that. I know it's very frustrating too. Take that break and step away for a bit. Go back in with a clean and open mind. You'll get it figured out.
      1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
        258 I6
        • Dec 17, 2018

That is terrible, i am so sorry! Chin up buddy, like you said give it a break and come back to it fresh.

In the mean time look at some of our threads who are not near as close as you are
        Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
        Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
        PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
        "Soon" is a relative term.
        Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Ah man, Darin. My stomach hurts from reading this. How did you find out? Did you find metal in the oil? was it not running correctly?

I am with you, boss. I have slowed my progress A LOT because it seems like the closer you get to the end, the more you find you need to do, then you get punched in the gut like that. Honestly, the amount of work you have done on your rig in the last 2 years is pretty stupidly amazing. Go back and re-read your thread and it will blow your mind. All the body work, the engine work, the wiring, the dash, wow. You said a couple times, you are learning this stuff and honestly, as bad as this is, this is the only real bad bump you have hit (at least that you recorded on your thread). The brake booster sucked but it only slowed you a little. It's good you discovered this now before you ran your engine a bunch and torched some bearings. Hopefully this will only cost you a cam, a lifter, a bunch of oil, some gaskets, and time.
          Last edited by rang-a-stang; 04-11-2019, 08:03 AM.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

Might have to start a new thread, an un-build thread because I'am going backwards. Haven't touched the Wagoneer since I pulled the intake, but started taking it apart last night.
            1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
            Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

The only thing left to unbolt is the trans. cooler lines from the oil pan and the valve covers and rockers. I'am going to try and leave the radiator support in place and lift the engine over it. It was not installed when the engine went in.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                258 I6
                • Dec 17, 2018

Glad youre getting back after it! Sad to see it come apart again, hope you can stay positive with it, i know we are all feeling for you
                Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
                Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
                PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
                "Soon" is a relative term.
                Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 25, 2016

hey
                  chin up
                  at least you know how to fix it
                  I don't know how to do jack squat on an engine...

this stuff happens to guys in NASCAR with 100,000 dollar motors
                  so don't feel bad

it will all work out in the end

keep us posted.

dave in NC
                  SOLSAKS - dave
                  1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                  1982 J-10 Fleetside
                  1988 grand wagoneer
                  2004 RUBICON jeep
                  Benson, NC

Comment

• bwwhaler
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 17, 2012

That really bites, I have thoroughly enjoyed your build. I'm sure you will ace it soon enough, at least you have a clean engine and vehicle to work on. Looking forward to your completion.
                    87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                    Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Well dang... I started at the top of page 35 and read everything to catch up. My wife heard me say oh no out loud when I read about the cam lobe and she asked whats up? I told her what happened. She knows how important this stuff is to each and every one of us. I am confident you are using high zinc and phosphorus oil for your engine. Not just for break in but to run in it all the time. The high ZDDP keeps our flat tappet cams alive.
                      If it makes you feel any better. I had a set back trying to get an old vinyl door panel on a new flat door card. The glue melted the old style vinyl and it got ugly fast. It ruined it and it was the better panel to work with. Fortunately I had one extra door panel to work with, but it left me not wanting to post anything for a bit. So I can relate to the troubles.
                      The break will do you good. Your wagoneer is really cool. I/we look forward to more for sure!
                      Melford1972 says...
                      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra
                      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Pulled the engine after work today.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

Was able to get it on the stand, pulled one main cap and a rod. Bearings are gone.
                          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

rod bearing.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 20, 2014

Main bearing
                              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 20, 2014

SUCKS TO BE ME RIGHT NOW! I will get it all apart and get it over to the machine shop to see where we stand. Thanks all for asking.
                                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X