• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • westcoastflea
    232 I6
    • Jan 25, 2004

jeep wont start

ok i need an alternator bracket, til i get one if i leave a door open or drive at night the wagoneer wont start, no problem have a battery charger that plugs in.
    well last night got done working about 9:00 pm went to start jeep wont start, spent an hour looking for enough extension cords to plug in (not my house), no one home, jeep still wont start, put the charger on the solenoid, try to start get that chattering noise you get when battery is dead. put back on battery nothing, dead no noise,figure maybe i have too many small extension cords not enough juice, so locate jumper cables find a key to a truck that is there hook up to battery, nothing not even a noise,no headlights, hook up cables to solenoid, get the chattering noise and i have headlights! try to start jeep again with the cables hooked up to solenoid and wham headlights cut out immediately, battery tester says at this point the battery is charged. so after an hour of this cables are hot, jeep is acting like it always does when i go out in the am after driving home with headlights on, before i hook up battery charger, completely dead no noise at all when i try to start it, problem is i have had jumper cables hooked up for over an hour, its like im not getting anything to the battery but the cables are working and i get something when i hook up to solenoid,(and the headlights work with solenoid getting juice weird). so figure at this point me 42 year old woman have to hitchhike at midnight from the end of a little island, no traffic to my home 10 miles away, figure give it one more try(end of 14 hour work day at this point), find all the extension cords again, hook them all up hook up battery charger try one more time and bingo jeep starts up strongly first time!!! so any ideas what this could have been??
  • WoodyHank
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 22, 2003

any ideas what this could have been??

The spirit of Woody? ?

when woody was doing all this funk, it turned out to be battery cables themselves. Of course, since I don't think GWs ever do anything the same way twice, the cables probably aren't your problem. I can't be any help, but I can sure offer sympathy

Comment

• bill tomlinson
      350 Buick
      • Apr 30, 2001

with 5000 pounds of metal clunked together* you'd think there would be no problem getting 12 volts from one place to another. in the wonderful world of FSJs: WRONG! check your grounds! batt neg to body, batt neg to block,block to frame... maybe more added over the years. also, any splice with tape in it is suspect! also, 'clamp-on' replacement battery terminals are crud magnets! replace the cables if they have these buggers on the ends. get nice big #2 wire. even having done all that, i still carry a 'portable jumper battery pack'

* 'clunked' is my wife's term meaning 'piled' or 'tossed'

bill
      89 gw,86 cj7 (dd)

Comment

• westcoastflea
        232 I6
        • Jan 25, 2004

hi thank you not battery cables as i tried one pair and then tried another!, i checked battery ground to body of car that was intact, checked to block that was fine, i know that one time this summer when it died someone pulled over to help we found that the wire going from the alternator to solenoid had melted, so that whole connection is taped, but i dont think that would cause these problems? i have new battery cables, battery isnt great leaks stuff,i think that is why the wires melted, i replaced the alternator and hooked the wires up the wrong way, (haynes manual isnt very helpful) so battery was boiling there for a while. what is weird is that i had headlights with charger attached to solenoid not battery is it me or is that strange?? seems as though you can bypass battery to start the car, but it wouldnt start, and that when i tried to start the car the headlights cut out immediately, would grounds cause that?? oh yes also when i first started driving i had no radio went over a couple of serious bumps(construction) and radio came on sounds like a loose wire, but where ?? there are alot of wires in there. thanks for help guys!!

Comment

Working...
        X