• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suddendeath
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 26, 2010

670 Truck Avenger Issues

So, I just got a PM from another IFSJA'er whos having the same problem. I need to hear from other users with the 670 Truck Avenger. When I stomp on my gas pedal, the truck stalls out, almost like something isn't set up right in the carb. If I stomp it in first, it'll stall and die. In second or third if I stomp it it'll die out until I really floor it and the transmission downshifts.

What is the deal, guys? Is the 670 just too much airflow for the 360, or is my carburetor messed up? I have a rebuild kit, I just haven't gotten a chance to take it apart yet.
    1990 GW:
    Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
    10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.
  • derf
    360 AMC
    • Jul 12, 2001

You need to calibrate your accelerator pump.

When you stomp on it, the sudden flow of air doesn't draw enough fuel at first so the accelerator pump squirts in a bunch to hold it over until the venturies catch up.

Read this: http://www.automedia.com/Holley_Carb...ht20000718hm/1

Edit: This one looks like a better article: http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...ent/index.html
    Last edited by derf; 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM.
    Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

Are you running the stock powervalve. Holley puts a 2.5 inthe 670's, which is too low for a mild motor. Step up to a 6.5 or higher.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Suddendeath
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 26, 2010

Originally posted by Ristow
        Are you running the stock powervalve. Holley puts a 2.5 inthe 670's, which is too low for a mild motor. Step up to a 6.5 or higher.
        I did this already in my carb. I had been reading up on people using the 670 and dropped in a 6.5 before I even put the carb on the motor. I have good response and drivability up until the time comes to really drop the hammer, then the truck makes a slight spitting noise or a "poof", not a backfire, and stalls out. I have to quickly release the pedal to prevent the engine from completely dying.

In regards to the accelerator pump, I read both articles and I'm still kinda fuzzy. Seems like one of those things I have to let sit in my mind for a bit. Is my problem too much gas from the pump, too little gas, too soon of a shot, too late of a shot? There are a lot of things to consider, I guess, eh?
        1990 GW:
        Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
        10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• derf
          360 AMC
          • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by Suddendeath
          I did this already in my carb. I had been reading up on people using the 670 and dropped in a 6.5 before I even put the carb on the motor. I have good response and drivability up until the time comes to really drop the hammer, then the truck makes a slight spitting noise or a "poof", not a backfire, and stalls out. I have to quickly release the pedal to prevent the engine from completely dying.

In regards to the accelerator pump, I read both articles and I'm still kinda fuzzy. Seems like one of those things I have to let sit in my mind for a bit. Is my problem too much gas from the pump, too little gas, too soon of a shot, too late of a shot? There are a lot of things to consider, I guess, eh?
          I vaguely remember tuning my 670 TA on a 360 back several years ago and I had to step up how much fuel it was squirting. I think I adjusted the screw from the lever to the pump arm and changed holes in the cam but don't quote me on that.

Regardless, the accelerator pump being out of whack is what causes the stumble when you hit the gas. Get it into whack and you'll be fine.
          Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• sungoesdown
            350 Buick
            • Jan 16, 2008

I had the same problem with my t/a and changed out the acc pump cam and it fixed the bog. Basically the acc pump gives you a shot of gas that the carb can't do by itself and changing the cam revs up the time and amount of fuel given from the acc pump
            83 j-10
            86 grand wagoneer

Originally posted by HeadHoncho
            BTW, how does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey?????!!!!!!!
            Originally posted by holley2346
            I hated to hear this as I was really wanting to do an ox in the rear.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
              All Makes Combined
              • Jun 30, 2003

Pump cam, cam position, or discharge nozzle size. I had to play with all three until I found the perfect combination.

What happens if you stomp it in neutral?
              Rob
              1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
              Click for video

Comment

• Suddendeath
                327 Rambler
                • Dec 26, 2010

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                Pump cam, cam position, or discharge nozzle size. I had to play with all three until I found the perfect combination.

What happens if you stomp it in neutral?
                It's fine if I stomp it in neutral, it screams like I would expect it to. Though honestly I don't like revving it up too high without load.

I'll play with the accelerator pump stuff then. See if I can't help it out with the cam I have, if I can't, which color cam do you guys have good luck with?
                1990 GW:
                Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 06, 2004

I think every engine is different so the color cam will depend on trial and error, also if it is placed in the #1 or #2 position. Biggest thing for me was to dial back the primary a couple jet sizes and dial back the secondaries way back to near the primaries. As for the acc pump discharge nozzle, I chucked the 28 and put in a 35. 35 is the largest without changing out the acc pump diaphram. I think no matter what you do, the truck avenger as described to me by a Holley Tech, will never rid itself of all quirks. The way the lack of high speed air bleeds will always bring with it day to day street issues that one can be tuned out or the other but not all. I have great highway, decent fuel economy and fantastic offroad behaviors, but still have that random stumble off the line.
                  Kevin
                  \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

squirter too small

Comment

• serehill
                      Gone,Never Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2009

Yep

I just went through this & went all the way to a 8.5 power valve with no luck upgraded the pump & cam & it rocks. The mileage sucks but it runs.
                      Not enough fuel to get it started. I can't believe Holley thinks these are coming out of the factory good this way becacuse we are not the only guys seeing this. They do the same thing on Fords & dodges. Bad engineering. Tech support wasn't much help either.
                      I was really impressed with the tech telling me I should have never bought one unless iI was going to use it offroad only.
                      Last edited by serehill; 02-15-2012, 08:09 PM.

80 Cherokee
                      360 ci 727 with
                      Comp cams 270 h
                      NP208
                      Edlebrock performer intake
                      Holley 4180
                      Msd total multi spark.
                      4" rusty's springs
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Blake
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 22, 2005

I'm running a 670 TA on my 360 in the J10. It has absolutely no hesitation, even on a FULL stomp of the gas pedal on idle. I have several different accelerator pumps and PV's - none of them make a difference with regards to an off idle stumble.

Jetting, however, does.

I have several different jets for it. Currently running a 64 main and stock 89 secondary at 6k feet.

What jets are you running?

PS - I've read somewhere that some of the 'early' 670's had a casting problem will have an off idle stumble. It might be worth your time to call Holley and give them your serial number. They may hook you up with a new unit...
                        Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• maccj5
                          258 I6
                          • Oct 15, 2007

Since the vacum secondary is adjustable
                          what spring are you running? If a vacum issue is there
                          they might not open at all
                          mac
                          its a jeep thing i dont understand either
                          69 m715
                          87 gw
                          73 cj5
                          94 yj
                          69 j 3000-- dennis got it
                          81 cj7
                          66 j truck
                          78 cherokee cheif

Comment

• Blake
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by maccj5
                            Since the vacum secondary is adjustable
                            what spring are you running? If a vacum issue is there
                            they might not open at all
                            IIRC the 'vacuum secondaries' aren't really 'vacuum'.

They open based upon a large amount of air going through the carb - not technically 'vacuum'.

Doesn't matter anyway - a bad secondary won't cause a low end stumble.
                            Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                              All Makes Combined
                              • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by Blake
                              PS - I've read somewhere that some of the 'early' 670's had a casting problem will have an off idle stumble. It might be worth your time to call Holley and give them your serial number. They may hook you up with a new unit...
                              This is correct, numbers were 670-1 I believe. Make sure yours isn't one of the affected units or you will go nuts trying to solve it. Like Blake said, they will replace it with a defect-free unit for free.
                              Rob
                              1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                              Click for video

Comment

Working...
                              X