BBD 2 Venturi, 4.2/6 cylinder running issues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

The fuel filter has an orifice internally that sends a limited amount of fuel back to the tank. When you plug the return, that increases the volume/pressure available to the carburetor. However, the pump should deliver enough fuel so that the carburetor will get plenty of fuel under all circumstances.

This could mean the fuel filter is so clogged that the orifice is an easier path than feeding the carb, or the line from the tank is plugged and the pump can't deliver. Is there a screen in the carb inlet? Or maybe your new pump is defective. Does the Canadian Wagoneer have vapor recovery? (ie the charcoal canister under the hood) If not, it needs a vented gas cap. This Jeep has a plastic gas tank, so rust in the tank should not be a problem.

More gas in the float bowl will make the mixture richer, generally. This could affect the operating temperature.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• wagoneerlove
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 05, 2018

It does have the charcoal canister. The pump is new and I tested it. It's pumping about 6psi to the carb. The filter is new as well. It's the oem aluminum filter so I can't see if any particles are plugging it. That's why I thought I'd try the see through style filter. To see if anything is clogging up the filter. I did notice alot of gas in the return line when I disconnected it. Is that normal?

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by wagoneerlove
        It does have the charcoal canister. The pump is new and I tested it. It's pumping about 6psi to the carb. The filter is new as well. It's the oem aluminum filter so I can't see if any particles are plugging it. That's why I thought I'd try the see through style filter. To see if anything is clogging up the filter. I did notice alot of gas in the return line when I disconnected it. Is that normal?
        You could test the pressure after the filter with the return connected. Should be something like a couple PSI, I'd think (having never done this experiment). The fuel also has to get through the inlet line from the filter to the carb and past the float valve. Something could be plugged up in there - is there a screen in the inlet? The return line nipple on the filter should be at 12 o'clock on the carb side of the filter.

There should be some gas in all three connections to the filter. I don't recall ever seeing excess gas from the return line, compared to the inlet or outlet.
        Last edited by tgreese; 06-14-2018, 11:08 AM.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 2ToneBluJ10
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 16, 2009

Check the carb mounting nuts they have a bad habit of loosening. I had to put blue loctite on my bbd when i kept having Vac leaks.
          Dave

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene

Comment

Working...
          X