International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Señor Jackhead

At AutoZone getting an intake manifold gasket...
Jeep never used the AMC 401.
Argument ensues. I leave pissed off and go to NAPA where it costs more.

Next time at AutoZone getting an intake manifold gasket...
Oh, that's right. Get me one for a 360 then.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
Old 03-29-2018, 03:31 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Oh, that's right. Get me one for a 360 then.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

I get similar results.
Another actual conversation similar to yours at my local McParts:
Me:I need a vacuum modulator for TH400.
Them: Year, make, and model?
Me: It's a TH400, same one as a TH350.
Them: Oh, ok. Year make and model?
Me: Sigh... Ok, 79 Jeep Cherokee?
Them: 5.9 liter?
Me: yeah, sure.
Them: You said you wanted the vacuum what?
Me: Vacuum modulator.... Plugs into the side of the transmission.
Them: Mm.. Sorry we don't have those.
Me:Ok, How about about one for a 79 Chevy pickup?
Them: C10, C20, or C30?
Me: I don't care, they all have the same part
Them: So C10?
Me: yeah, sure whatever.
Them: Engine?
Me: Uh... I don't know. How about 350?
Them: 5.7liter?
Me: yep.
Them: Transmission?
Me: Automatic
Them: 2wd or 4WD?
Me: I don't know, 4wd I guess
Them: Ok, the Vacuum what?
Me: Modulator. Vacuum Modulator
Them: Oh, yeah, we have like 8 of those. Which one do you want?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 03-29-2018, 03:40 PM
232 I6

EXACTLY! ^^^

Me: "Do you have any throttle balls for a Holley so I can connect my throttle cable"
Them: "Year, make & model?"
Me: "That won't help you, the carburetor is aftermarket. It's a Holley."
Them: "What's a carburetor?"
Me: "Is there anyone else here I can speak to?"

Bad things happen when staff are viewed as interchangeable widgets and businesses rely too much on computing power. Same thing happens when trying to find help at a Home Depot.
Performer Intake
Holley SA 670
MSD 8523
Dakota Digital custom cluster
Serehill headlamp harness
NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
...but the parts live on
Old 03-29-2018, 04:08 PM
350 Buick

What I do when people start telling me about my gas hogs,several SJs an a suburban. I just look at them in a loud voice say I LOVE YOU ARE YOU MY MOM/DAD? CAN WE GET ICE CREAM? PLEASSSEE. With one arm and bunch of scars on me. They no longer want to stick around. Wife one time comes out an I'm doing that shes hands me a Mt dw,I start dancing around yelling I got a soda I got soda. Stuck my tongue out at them ,danced over to the Jeep singing I got a soda,I got a soda.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonic
EXACTLY! ^^^

Me: "Do you have any throttle balls for a Holley so I can connect my throttle cable"
Them: "Year, make & model?"
Me: "That won't help you, the carburetor is aftermarket. It's a Holley."
Them: "What's a carburetor?"
Me: "Is there anyone else here I can speak to?"

Bad things happen when staff are viewed as interchangeable widgets and businesses rely too much on computing power. Same thing happens when trying to find help at a Home Depot.

Reminds me of about 40 years ago when I was looking for a job at one of the chains that eventually became Autozone or maybe the other one.

Application had questions about sales experience. Nothing about whether I could tell a radiator from a carburetor.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:11 PM
232 I6

Reading through this it makes me think of two things.

irst, I often drive over the freeway here and look down at the parking lot that is called rush hour and see lots and lots of hybrids, each one living somewhere like Puyallup, or Tacoma and being driven 20, 30, 40 miles back and forth every day to Seattle to work. I live 5.5 miles from my work. It costs me just about a gallon of gas per day to drive to and from work. Since Prius lies about their mileage and people don't drive hybrids for optimum gas mileage I actually use considerably less gas per year than the average hybrid owner

The other thing is something that happened to me when I lived in Alaska, probably around '93. My starter went bad, which wasn't a big deal, I just threw my spare one on, but that one started acting up too, so I had to go to the parts store. I went to one of the chains, probably autozone, laid the starter on the counter and said "Ya'll got one of these?'

The guy behind the counter asked what it was fore. I told him it was for a '75 Chevy something with a 305. He typed something in a computer and then said "Chevy didn't make a 305 that year"

I said "OK pick another year"

He looked at me and said "What's it out of?"

I said "a '66 Jeep pickup with a 283 Chevy motor, a 305 flywheel and a 350 transmission" He literally threw his hands up and walked away

I then went to the local NAPA and did the same thing "Ya'll got one of these?"

"Whats it out of?"

"66 Jeep pickup...etc"

The guy doesn't even touch the computer, he goes over to a book, flips through it, goes to the back, comes back with a starter holds it up to my old one, says, "that's not right", goes back to the back again, comes back with another starter, holds it up to my old one and says "Here you go."

I said "Wow, that's pretty impressive!"

His response was "I have one just like it"
Old 04-02-2018, 10:59 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

When I was a kid in the Sixties I had a VW Bug. Using wheel adapters from J.C. WhipMe I put Chevy wheels & wide tires on it -- typical stupid kid stuff. I was at the gas station and a kid on a bike rode up and said, "Wow -- you put CAR wheels on it!"

Same era, one of my friends had a '67 Pontiac LeMans -- nice car but it had the tepid 326 & 2-speed PowerGlide slushbox. He clamed that it would always be faster than my 327 4-speed '57 Chevy because I had to shift more. He also said that it had higher compression because he torqued the head bolts extra tight.

In 1989 I bought a brandamnew Mazda Miata (still have it). Those were unknown in my neck of North Carolina and the styling was sort of retro British. It had a little vibration and so on the way home from the dealership, with 26 miles on the car, I stopped at my favorite tire store to have the tires trued & re-balanced. The tire guy said, "Cool old car -- did you restore it yourself?" "Why yes, yes I did".

Same Miata: I was at a country grocery store and parked in front where the car was visible from the single cash register. It was a hot summer day and so the top was down, though there were thunderclouds on the horizon. I soon forgot about that because the other shopper in the store was a lovely woman about my age -- red hair, green eyes, no ring. I convinced myself that I caught her glancing at me now and then too. I was ahead of her at checkout, trying to think of something unfoolish to say, when a loud thunderclap shook the window. The elderly lady at the register nodded at my top-down car out front and said, "I hope you can get it up fast". Sound of a suppressed chuckle behind me.

S.J.

'83 Wagoneer
360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Johnson
... "Wow -- you put CAR wheels on it!"

...it would always be faster... because I had to shift more. ...higher compression because he torqued the head bolts extra tight.

... "Cool old car -- did you restore it yourself?" "Why yes, yes I did".

..."I hope you can get it up fast". Sound of a suppressed chuckle behind me.
S.J.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
Old 04-03-2018, 02:12 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcl16
For some reason I thought that some of the body panels changed in 1971, but I guess I was mistaken. Maybe I was confused because that was the grill changeover year?

Bob Barry doesn't post here anymore, but his post are good references. Way back when he started this FSJ Spotters Guide:
http://www.drbob.tqhosting.com/wagon...tter_main.html
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish
Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I've heard plenty over the years. Some funnier than others. What about you guys? Mechanics, feel free to add stories about people bringing in their cars for REALLY dumb reasons.

Well this is one reason I try to avoid talking about vehicles with most people. The pseudo-tech hearsay stories at this point are just boring. I've had the Chevy and Chrysler 360 story told to me more than once. The 'it must be a tank' and the 'must be a gas guzzler' don't bother me - I know the new oversized SUVs and light trucks have had little to brag about the past 20 years - especially considering the extra gears.

Probably the most annoying the past year was the guy running NJMP's track day - his company bought the Skip Barber name after the company folded. He tells me he has a car just like mine. Then he can't even remember the name of it.
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish
Old 04-04-2018, 08:28 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Long ago I was doing a standard rebuild on a Camaro's 327. The thing had maybe 150,000 miles on it -- rings shot, oil pressure low, etc. I was a mechanic at a Chevy dealership then but was doing this one at home to give the guy a better deal and hopefully make a little more than the near minimum wage that the dealership paid me. Still, he seemed to think that I was trying to rob him. He insisted that I re-use the old timing chain saying, "Those last forever". Well they don't, especially the plastic ones, but I couldn't convince him. I just shrugged and put a new one in on my nickel because I wasn't going to put it together like that. Then he stiffed me by taking the car on a test drive and never coming back. That was about when I stopped twiddling wrenches for money.

S.J.

'83 Wagoneer
360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 PM
232 I6

That story and your User Name! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Johnson
When I was a kid in the Sixties I had a VW Bug. Using wheel adapters from J.C. WhipMe I put Chevy wheels & wide tires on it -- typical stupid kid stuff. I was at the gas station and a kid on a bike rode up and said, "Wow -- you put CAR wheels on it!"

Same era, one of my friends had a '67 Pontiac LeMans -- nice car but it had the tepid 326 & 2-speed PowerGlide slushbox. He clamed that it would always be faster than my 327 4-speed '57 Chevy because I had to shift more. He also said that it had higher compression because he torqued the head bolts extra tight.

In 1989 I bought a brandamnew Mazda Miata (still have it). Those were unknown in my neck of North Carolina and the styling was sort of retro British. It had a little vibration and so on the way home from the dealership, with 26 miles on the car, I stopped at my favorite tire store to have the tires trued & re-balanced. The tire guy said, "Cool old car -- did you restore it yourself?" "Why yes, yes I did".

Same Miata: I was at a country grocery store and parked in front where the car was visible from the single cash register. It was a hot summer day and so the top was down, though there were thunderclouds on the horizon. I soon forgot about that because the other shopper in the store was a lovely woman about my age -- red hair, green eyes, no ring. I convinced myself that I caught her glancing at me now and then too. I was ahead of her at checkout, trying to think of something unfoolish to say, when a loud thunderclap shook the window. The elderly lady at the register nodded at my top-down car out front and said, "I hope you can get it up fast". Sound of a suppressed chuckle behind me.

S.J.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:47 AM
258 I6

The other thing that electric car owners dont realize is that they are trading the emission point from their tailpipes to the power plant.

'76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
'75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 100K Miles
'77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Want some fun with the kid at the local mcparts house......go in and ask for a flywheel for a Jeep 401. 30 minutes later and most of his hair is on the floor, just tell him, OK, nevermind, give me one for an AMX 401.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:00 AM
304 AMC

Here's another one that drives me nuts:
Them: I have a jeep too!
Me: Sweet! What do you have?
Them: Oh, its a Wrangler.
Me: Yeah? what year?
Them: It's a 20XX.
Me: Oh cool! is it a stick or an auto?
Them: It's an auto but you can shift it like a manual.

I get this one ALOT. "It's an auto but you can shift it like a manual" or "It's an auto but it has paddle shifters!"

Now I will recognize that with computer controlled shifting, computer controlled engines, and dual clutches/shift solenoids, dry clutch autos, 6+ speeds, automatics are the better/more efficient/faster transmissions on newer cars. Even more so with a Constant variable transmission. but:
A) I ALWAYS prefer driving a stick. Even in stop/go LA traffic I would rather be rowing my gears. I just enjoy driving a stick.
B) I HATE DRIVING CVTs. HATE THEM. I have written cars off my potential buy list purely because they only come in a CVT (Subaru specifically).

With all that said, the reason I think the statements "It's an auto but you can shift it like a manual" or "It's an auto but it has paddle shifters!" are stupid is because with an older auto, you are still pushing that hydraulic pump so you still have the parasitic draw of an auto that used to make a manual transmission better/more efficient/faster and if you are manually shifting a new trans, you are bypassing the better logic of a computer controlled trans. Either way you are taking a step backward. Also, even a TH400/TF727/other 3 speed auto, you can almost always shift from 1 to 2 to 3 with the shifter so they are "an auto but you can shift it like a manual". Also, of the probably 100 different rental cars I have had in the last 5 years or so, I almost always check this: if you put that "manually shifted" auto into 1 and stab the gas, 90% of the cars I drive WILLLL shift into 2 when you hit redline (the other 10% bounce off the rev limiter like a manual would). Or, if you are going over 20MPH, in second, then pull the paddle down to first gear, it will not let you 90-95% of the time.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 AM
232 I6

rang-a-stang, that bothers me too.
Most of these new autos with the "manual override" won't actually allow you to have manual control.
The autos in my Jeeps (SJ, XJ, ZJ), however, will allow me to put it in whichever stupid gear I want to, no matter how inappropriate or damaging it may be, yet of course that doesn't mean they advertise them as "shifting like a manual".

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
Old 06-07-2018, 07:36 PM
230 Tornado

I was wheeling in Arkansas in my 78 Cherokee this past April, I went to the nearest little store with a gas pump to fuel up. While inside paying, a guy comes up to me and says: Him: Cool looking Scout, I used to have one just like it.
Me: It is a Jeep Cherokee 78 model
Him: Oh, looks like a Scout
Me: Nope, looks like a 70's Jeep Cherokee, it even has badges that say Cherokee
Him: Why do you have such big tires? (swampers 35x15x15)
Me: I like to drive over big rocks
Him: Oh, OK, gotta go
Me: Yep, me too. Hopped in the Cherokee(not a Scout) with the big tires and drove back to the woods where I could find solitude and not answer any more stupid questions.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 AM
232 I6

I had somebody the other day tell me my Grand Wagoneer was like the car in Ghostbusters.
I've also had people tell me it looks like a hearse.

I really don't see how a green, wood-panelled wagon with lots of chrome looks anything like ECTO-1 or a hearse.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
Old 06-13-2018, 03:02 PM
232 I6

When I drove mine to work one day a coworker said if I wanted to sell it he would buy. Pay cash even. Said he had a white one with the fuel injection and 4 speed auto. Of course the education of him soon ensued. But he was too stubborn to listen. Later made the offer to buy it again so I informed him I just raised the stated value on insurance to 16000 and his jaw hit the floor. No more offers to buy. I just don’t understand
2018 GMC Canyon Denali 2.8 Duramax
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkplitt
When I drove mine to work one day a coworker said if I wanted to sell it he would buy. Pay cash even. Said he had a white one with the fuel injection and 4 speed auto.

Well if you count reverse it had 4 speeds.

And the mechanical fuel pump "injects" fuel into the carb.
Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune