• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJ-Earl
    304 AMC
    • May 02, 2003

FSJ TRAILER QUESTION

Once again I ran into some trouble with my local code officer. He claims that I cannot keep my trail rig (83 J10) in the driveway of the garage that I rent due to it being a "nusiance vehicle." We had several choice words with each other. I claim that my trail rig is an off highway vehicle just teh same as a quad, dirtbike, boat, personal watercraft, etc. He told me that is not. We argued for 30 minutes. His secreatary is my former secretary and she kept telling us both to calm down, it was actually pretty funny! He then told me that if it is on my trailer, I can park the trailer in the driveway or even on the public street and I would be OK. Makes NO sense to me, but I will try it. My question is, will my trailer have any adverse issues (saggy springs, tire issues, etc.) with my J10 parked on it for extended periods of time? 2 - 3 weeks between trips to the trails? It is a dual axle 7K trailer, typical car hauler. The other thing that he told me that I could do was to get a car cover that will cover the ENTIRE vehicle down to the ground, since they are not allowed to look under car covers. Anybody know of anybody that makes a car cover for a J truck?
    FSJ-Earl
    2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
    2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
    1989 GW - the one that started it all
    1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig
  • shackwrrr
    360 AMC
    • Mar 04, 2006

wonder what theyd say if you put one of those beautiful tacky blue tarps on it lol. Im sure that a universal car cover made for a full size truck should work
    Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• Serious Johnson
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • May 19, 2002

You could always put some blocks/stands under the trailer frame to alleviate any possible problem with springs, bearings, tires, etc., but I doubt you'd really hurt anything without them.

Seems like, if a community can come up with an ordinance against "nuisance vehicles", it could come up with one against "nuisance code officers"!

S.J.
      "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
      360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
      T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Bill Moore
        304 AMC
        • May 22, 2006

Originally posted by FSJ-Earl
        Once again I ran into some trouble with my local code officer. He claims that I cannot keep my trail rig (83 J10) in the driveway of the garage that I rent due to it being a "nusiance vehicle." We had several choice words with each other. I claim that my trail rig is an off highway vehicle just teh same as a quad, dirtbike, boat, personal watercraft, etc. He told me that is not. We argued for 30 minutes. His secreatary is my former secretary and she kept telling us both to calm down, it was actually pretty funny! He then told me that if it is on my trailer, I can park the trailer in the driveway or even on the public street and I would be OK. Makes NO sense to me, but I will try it. My question is, will my trailer have any adverse issues (saggy springs, tire issues, etc.) with my J10 parked on it for extended periods of time? 2 - 3 weeks between trips to the trails? It is a dual axle 7K trailer, typical car hauler. The other thing that he told me that I could do was to get a car cover that will cover the ENTIRE vehicle down to the ground, since they are not allowed to look under car covers. Anybody know of anybody that makes a car cover for a J truck?
        what in the heck is a "local code officer"
        DDs
        67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
        78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• jrlane
          258 I6
          • May 17, 2007

The codes here in Tennessee say it must be running and tagged. Other than that park it anywhere. Good Luck

Comment

• fivepack
            232 I6
            • Aug 17, 2007

What the Heck......

Originally posted by Bill Moore
            what in the heck is a "local code officer"

He's in Pennsylvania. My former home state. Home of the tax your @$$ off and Holy Mary Mother of Guilt Acadamy.
            1982 J10
            4.0 liter
            AX15
            Keeping the Hydro-boost
            Dana 44 open front 3.73
            GM 9.5" open rear 3.73
            Going back to stock springs from the BJs 2"

Comment

• waynestiles
              350 Buick
              • Mar 26, 2006

personal "what in the heck is a "local code officer""

Many small communities, (like my own) with delusions of grandeur have adopted pretty much boilerplate building and zoning codes rather than going through the hassle and expense of developing ones that really suit the nature of the community. they can cover everything from the color and shape of your house to the landscaping and how often you mow the lawn. In order to make sure that everyone is marching in step they hire a "code enforcement officer", (usually a barneyfife-type--often part time and frequently a guy who can't quite seem to get hired by an actual law enforcement agency,) to run around and enforce the rules. In most cases there is little actual case law to back up their personal interpretation of the rules as written and often they are flying by the seat of their pants--with their eyes closed.

Obviously I've had a run-in with our local gestapo-of-couth. by going over his head and privately appealing to the town council for a consistant and thought out interpretation of the code I was able to get the situation resolved---though I imagine he's just waiting for a chance to nail me for something--anything
              "Sacred cows make better burger"

Comment

• CHEW246214
                230 Tornado
                • Dec 19, 2007

been down this road many times... I just moved from nj where the average house price is $800 thousand... Even parked on my legal trailer my neighbors complained... so I did park it on the street on the trailer... I was then fined because it wasn't behind the building line on my 164 foot long driveway.(nobody could tell me if the building line was the front of the house or the back, they didn't know) In the town I'm from any type of vehicle not moved from anyplace if road legal or not every 72 hours is considered abandoned...Then i checked the books and and saw the "covered to the ground law" so i covered my trailer and jeep with a huge blue tarp that was actually too big and made noise when it got windy out... got a ticket for noise ordinances... needless to say it finally ended when the "code enforcer" entered my property, my wife told him to leave, he pushed her,out of his way and met my dog who is very defensive and is a shepard/ pitbull mix who i rescused(plus the other 3 in the house)... he jumped on him and pinned him to the ground, never biting him (because my wife told him not too, they are very well trained)
                to end the story i got sued it went to court, he lost and got arrested for assault on my wife, lost his job, and was convicted on harrasment charges with minor assault. My dog was cleared because he didn't bite, plus i had beware of dog signs (note to all put them up, they protect you)...
                after almost 2 years of fighting it out with this guy this is what it took to get rid of him.... In the meantime in the past 6 months I sold the house and moved to Rhode Island where I have had no problems and everybody around me are car people...plus I bought over an acre and the houses are pretty far away......
                there's the story sorry to blabber you ears off had to vent that out....

Comment

• cttandy
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 07, 2008

Originally posted by fivepack
                  He's in Pennsylvania. My former home state. Home of the tax your @$$ off and Holy Mary Mother of Guilt Acadamy.

I lived in PA 3 years. I have been home in Tn for 6 years. I still get notices from PA saying I owe them taxes on my income, even though I don't live there anymore. I have called them, sent letters, and nothing seems to change it. My tax guy says not to worry about it.

In this area of Tn, you can have up to 7 registered, licensed, and insured vehicles. You can have one hobby vehicle, and one parts vehicle. Past that you can get into trouble with codes. They also heavily watch for illegal salvage yards, which means anyone selling used cars parts not registered with the state to do so. Simple things like privacy fences can get out of trouble here.

I am lucky to have neighbors that don't care. We all take care of each other and are more like a family then anything. Guess that happens after 21 years.
                  SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
                  http://tnfsj.org/
                  87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
                  Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Comment

• Chucks1911
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 02, 2008

Out here in the country in Oklahoma nobody can tell me how many cars, trucks, etc I can have. I wouldn't tolerate it. I'm a free man living in a free country.
                    76 Honcho 360/T-18 4 Speed/Dana 20
                    77 J-10 with 258/TH-400/Quadra trac
                    78 J-10 with 360/TH-400/Quadra trac (for parts)

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Man, I'm lucky. If it's behind a fence, it doesn't have to be registered. If it's registered, I can park it on the street or in my driveway.

And my driveway happens to be be 4 cars wide and two cars long.
                      Ethan Brady
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• jaber
                        Dragin Az
                        • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                        Man, I'm lucky. If it's behind a fence, it doesn't have to be registered. If it's registered, I can park it on the street or in my driveway.

And my driveway happens to be be 4 cars wide and two cars long.
                        I'm in the same boat. Gotta love the west....
                        Jeff

'43 cj2a
                        '51 Willys p/u
                        '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                        '68 Panel Delivery
                        '74 CJ5
                        '75 J-20 Wrecker
                        '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                        '77 J-10 p/u
                        '79 Cherokee
                        '88 Grand Wagoneer
                        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• pineymike
                          327 Rambler
                          • Feb 22, 2008

Truck on trailer

Your truck should'nt hurt your trailer it's lite enuff!We store trailers at work fully loaded that are about like yours.

Comment

• Wagonforever
                            327 Rambler
                            • Feb 26, 2004

Originally posted by FSJ-Earl
                            My question is, will my trailer have any adverse issues (saggy springs, tire issues, etc.) with my J10 parked on it for extended periods of time? 2 - 3 weeks between trips to the trails? It is a dual axle 7K trailer, typical car hauler. The other thing that he told me that I could do was to get a car cover that will cover the ENTIRE vehicle down to the ground, since they are not allowed to look under car covers. Anybody know of anybody that makes a car cover for a J truck?
                            Well my Travel Trailer comes in close to 5,000lbs and has been sitting on it's wheels for 20 years without a problem.
                            There are those that have and those that will.

1986 Grand Wagoneer, BONE STOCK just the way I like em!

The Aviation Forum

Fred 08

Comment

• Geeeep
                              304 AMC
                              • Nov 02, 2002

Earl, didn't you take the bed off the J10? In that case a Wagoneer car cover should work!
                              Dave Pitts, located directly over the center of the earth!

GW - 87 GW 360/4bbl/727/208 Vinyl floor, manual windows, no woodgrain
                              Find someone to haul your Jeep here: YT Hauling Schedule

Comment

Working...
                              X