• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DevEmp
    232 I6
    • Feb 24, 2008

Tall Jack Stands

So I'm gearing up to start the rear suspension on the waggy and I've hit a snag before I even I start. The jack stands I have are no where near tall enough. I'm figuring that I need between 32" to 36" of total height depending on what part of the frame I'm supporting. Anyone have a decent source for tall jack stands? I'm not too keen on building a 12" riser platform out of 2X4's, but that seems to be the most common/cheapest way.
    65 Wagoneer: Chevy 350/TH400/D20 D60F Corp14R - cage: 70% fuel system: 50% electrical: 10%
    06 Wrangler Unlimited: a locked rear D44 and enough lift to stuff 35" tires
  • jcz1978
    232 I6
    • Apr 25, 2006

I have these from Harbor fright:

They go to 30" and they're huge! I've never seen anything taller that's readily available.
    Jim C.

89 Grand Wagoneer
    87 YJ + 258 w/TBI
    2008 JK 2D

[All Jeep since 3/09]
    Proud to be (mostly) Ford free!

Comment

• cttandy
      258 I6
      • Apr 07, 2008

Originally posted by jcz1978

They go to 30" and they're huge! I've never seen anything taller that's readily available.
      Those are tiny.

Go to tsc and see what they have, I have some that are 30 inches closed I got from there.

I had a friend that had some that were around 36 inches closed that he got from northern ( I think). They were the biggest ones I have seen that weren't home made. I have seen some homemade units that were 72 inches high, but they had a big loader to pick cars up with and set them on top.
      SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
      http://tnfsj.org/
      87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
      Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by jcz1978

We used 4 of those this past Sat/Sun to do rstep's SOA/Shackle Flip, they worked very well. Having a few smaller ones comes in handy also along with a small and large floor jack.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• gwinn
          360 AMC
          • Nov 05, 2001

Build 'em! This set cost me about $100 in materials including 5 feet of receiver stock and the red paint. . In the pics they are set at their shortest setting of 30". They'll expand to 45" in height. Not sure when I'll ever need that height, but I figured I'd leave my options open.

EDIT: the $100 was the price for 4 stands incl 10ft of receiver stock. The bases were just 1/4 wall square tubing stock, not receiver.

Last edited by gwinn; 05-27-2008, 10:02 AM.
          1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Comment

• DevEmp
            232 I6
            • Feb 24, 2008

Originally posted by cttandy
            Those are tiny.

Go to tsc and see what they have, I have some that are 30 inches closed I got from there.
            What/where is TSC?
            65 Wagoneer: Chevy 350/TH400/D20 D60F Corp14R - cage: 70% fuel system: 50% electrical: 10%
            06 Wrangler Unlimited: a locked rear D44 and enough lift to stuff 35" tires

Comment

• 48willys
              232 I6
              • May 04, 2008

TSC=Tractory Supply Company. National Chain. They mostly cater to farmers.
              1988 MJ (DD) (Sold)
              2006 KJ (Wife's)
              1948 CJ2A(Trail Rig)
              1978 J10 (DD/Tow Rig/Work in Progress)

You ever walk into a room and suddenly realize you have no clue why you are there?

Comment

• jaber
                Dragin Az
                • Oct 17, 2003

My father in law brought me a set of 5 lug baby Jeep rims that I cant use so I laid one on its side and stood another on it and welded them together. As long as I put them in front of the axle, they work great.
                Jeff

'43 cj2a
                '51 Willys p/u
                '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                '68 Panel Delivery
                '74 CJ5
                '75 J-20 Wrecker
                '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                '77 J-10 p/u
                '79 Cherokee
                '88 Grand Wagoneer
                '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• waynestiles
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 26, 2006

TSC and it's major competitior RuralKing are great sources for all sorts of heavy duty stuff (at least here in the midwest). jacks, stands, "hi-lift"-type jacks, hitch and trailer material, some automotive parts, paint and tools. If you've never been in one a visit might be interesting.
                  HOWEVER A lot of their stuff is imported so you have to shop with care. I especially cautious with fasteners that will have a real load on them.

They are really geared to the AG business---though they are moving into the "yuppie-greenacres" market. If you hunt around you might still find a real farm store in your area that may still have better quality tools and stuff, though at Made-in-America prices.
                  "Sacred cows make better burger"

Comment

Working...
                  X