International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 08-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Grease Monkey

Water in my cargo area

I've got water troubles. I've noticed wet carpet in the cargo area of my '88 Grand Wagoneer after a good rain a couple of times in the past. This afternoon, we got a good soaking and the carpet is sopping wet with standing water in the cargo area. The tailgate window seal looks fine and there isn't any water along the inside of the tailgate frame. I think the source may be loose roof rack well nuts. Does that sound likely or am I missing something obvious? I plan on removing the stock roof rack and sealing the factory holes in favor of a rain gutter mounted rack. Will that take care of the water problems or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks.

John
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
johnwaynejeep2

My wag has the same problem. In winter time I get standing snow in the back...come to think of it so does my car, my truck and my garage .

It may not be necessary to remove your roof rack though. You should be able to see water spots in the roof liner or just plain water soaked into the liner after a rain if it's coming in through there. You could check the amount of movement in your tailgate window. If the window is loose in the frame due to a bad track felt then the window could be losing connection with the weatherstrip allowing large amounts of water to come in. It's a long shot but if your area has heavy winds you could also check your back door frames for flex. Perhaps the door frames are flexing in high wind and allowing water to get blown in through the frames. The only other thing I could think of is to sit in the back of the jeep during the next rain storm and start looking for water. This is the only way I know of to be 100% sure of where it's coming in at. I would also suggest looking at your inner fenders for holes where water can get blown upward and inward but I suppose if that were the case the water would also drain out through there.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't do more then offer ideas
Old 08-11-2006, 05:58 AM

The same thing happened to my 89'. It was coming from the roof rack. I could see it soak the headliner along the edge by the metal trim where it would run back and forth as I moved. It eventually got into the compass module and ruined it. I removed the screwes squirted silicone sealer and put them back. That was 10 years ago and it never leaked again. I also had water in my cargo area once when I went through high water, it came in through the jack compartment.

joe

1989 Grand Wagoneer
Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 PM

Leaking like a rusty bucket.

Glad I found this topic, I'm having the same problem with my Wag. I've sealed the mounting holes however and ended up sitting in the back while my wife sprayed down the roof with the garden hose.
Turns out it was the rails on the roof so I liberally sealed them with silicone...twice. I'm not screwing around. Besides it seems every time I take my headliner down it degrades a litle bit more!

Enjoy.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:07 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

the seams at the wheel well.....

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 09-21-2006, 09:39 PM
350 Buick

It could be coming in through the gas filler area or as with mine it came in through the side marker lamps and filled the wheel/jack/rear speaker areas! Hope this helps! by the way love the trailer pics!!!

02 TJ, 3.25 inch lift w/33's

78 CJ, 33's and a 304

68 Shasta 16' Travel Trailer (Restoring project)

"The way the rain comes down hard, that's the way I FEEL INSIDE!"
Old 09-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Gear Head

geesh water getting into these things is such a normal occurance, I think they were designed to leak

I get water in the wheel rear wells from the back side glass seal leaking.
Im sure it comes from somewhere else as well, but untill BJ's starts selling new rear glass seals im up the creek with a wooden rustbucket.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Cherokee Outlaw

I see you're from Illinois...theres yer problem right there. You've probably got rust holes in the wheel wells and the tires are kickin the water up in there. Thats what happened to mine anyway. Tore out all my carpet cuz I got bored and it was SOAKED. Found rust floorboards and wheel wells to blame. Just my $.02
TH400 - Shift Kit, Deep Pan, Aux Cooler
D20 - Twin Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R D44 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed