• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GWD6
    232 I6
    • Nov 03, 2014

Howell Install advice?

Within the next couple of weeks I'll be installing a new Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold (with EGR) along with the Emissions Legal Howell TBI kit on my 1984 Grand Wagoneer.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and plan on doing this solo. The only thing I'm going to need outside help on (I think/hope) is welding the Oxygen Sensor bung on the exhaust.

If any of you that have already installed this system can offer any pointers I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks
    '84 Grand Wagoneer
  • Texas Walter
    232 I6
    • Feb 01, 2015

I also plan to do the same one day so Ill be fallowing this looking for advice

Comment

• men in black
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 08, 2006

I needed to install a new y pipe, so I had the bung weld on first.

Addicted is installing my Howell TBI over the winter.,
      1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
      Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
      Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
      Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• blthomas
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 30, 2015

I was looking at their systems online. Do they come with the bung? I see alot of stuff in a picture on my phone but can't see a bung.

If it's the standard 18x1.5 pitch, I've used spark plug non foulers from the help section at Advance Auto. Stepper bit to drill in the hole then made a pass with the mig around it.

Before I had a welder, I JB welded one in.
        ------------------------------------------------------
        Blair
        1976ish CJ7
        1981 Scrambler
        1980 Cherokee Chief S

Comment

• GWD6
          232 I6
          • Nov 03, 2014

Originally posted by blthomas
          I was looking at their systems online. Do they come with the bung? I see alot of stuff in a picture on my phone but can't see a bung.

If it's the standard 18x1.5 pitch, I've used spark plug non foulers from the help section at Advance Auto. Stepper bit to drill in the hole then made a pass with the mig around it.

Before I had a welder, I JB welded one in.
          Yes, the kit does come with a bung.
          '84 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Achilles
            350 Buick
            • May 12, 2004

If not a welder you can google this. AEM 30-2355-250 - AEM No-Weld O2 Sensor Mount. http://www.jegs.com/p/AEM/AEM-No-Wel...34708/10002/-1 I purchased one but have not began my install yet.
            Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
            MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
            Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Any good exhaust shop can weld the bung in.
              Cost will depend on the shop, but probably ~$25-$40 depending on their rates etc.
              It can be done without removing the y-pipe.

I suggest bringing the o2 sensor with you, so they can ensure bung gets welded in the correct orientation/location.
              They can be mistakenly welded in as to interfere with loosening/removing the y-pipe-manifold flange nuts. (ask me how I know)
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• BigOberg
                oh i wish i had a cool handle.......
                • Jan 20, 2015

Just make sure you keep your bunghole as tight as possible!
                Follow my build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174682

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara: 3" Lift & 35's

Comment

• GWD6
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 03, 2014

Thanks for the advice so far.

Stupid question, on which side of the engine does the bung go?
                  '84 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Billygoat
                    304 AMC
                    • Mar 16, 2004

I believe the emissions legal kit you have uses a heated o2 sensor - so put it after the Y pipe to monitor both banks

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by GWD6
                      Thanks for the advice so far.

Stupid question, on which side of the engine does the bung go?
                      Easiest spot is ~3-4" below driver's side manifold.
                      Not a lot of room anywhere else unless you drop the y-pipe.
                      Really no need to monitor both banks with TBI anyway.
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Fleg
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 13, 2014

I just welded mine in last night. Driver side but my Y pipe is different due to headers. I'd suggest going with a heated sensor if you start getting far away from the engine.

Comment

• Bill USN-1
                          258 I6
                          • Nov 11, 2006

The O2 sensor should be as close to the manifold as possible. The sensor needs to reach 600* for the system to go into closed loop.
                          If you have headers then use a 3 wire o2 and put it in the collector of one header. The 3 wire has a heater built in and gets the sensor up to temp quicker.
                          At no time should you move the sensor further away from the engine nor is there a reason to monitor all cylinders by putting it past the Y pipe.
                          The extra distance will cause problems due to the delay in signal from the sensor to the engine exhaust output.

Bill USN-1
                          Fuel Injection Moderator at BinderPlanet
                          Hamilton Fuel Injection
                          75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
                          1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Comment

• GWD6
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 03, 2014

Originally posted by Bill USN-1
                            The O2 sensor should be as close to the manifold as possible. The sensor needs to reach 600* for the system to go into closed loop.
                            If you have headers then use a 3 wire o2 and put it in the collector of one header. The 3 wire has a heater built in and gets the sensor up to temp quicker.
                            At no time should you move the sensor further away from the engine nor is there a reason to monitor all cylinders by putting it past the Y pipe.
                            The extra distance will cause problems due to the delay in signal from the sensor to the engine exhaust output.

Great thing to know!

Thanks!!
                            '84 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                            X