• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirk
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2012

Vinyl Cargo area mat?

Random, I know, but Im looking for a vinyl cargo liner for the rear cargo area. So when throw my muddy boots, something greasy or something small, dead and bleeding into the back I dont stain the carpet (worse than it is) up. I had one in my Xterra, but not sure where to look for one for the GW.

Thanks for leads.
    '87 GW
  • cfg7613
    258 I6
    • Dec 11, 2006

I never could find a molded one with a lip. Ended up buying a generic rubber type of pad from either Pep Boys or Advance Auto - can't remember which.
    1988 Grand Wagoneer
    360 V8/ 727 Trans
    Stock as stock can be !

Comment

• Kirk
      232 I6
      • Oct 01, 2012

Well crap. Good tip tho. Thats what Ill do, even tho a lip would be super great. Any pics?
      '87 GW

Comment

• RWrightPhotog
        327 Rambler
        • Jun 07, 2011

Do like I did and rip that carpet out, then use some spray on bed liner!
        Rob

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 360
        1979 Jeep Cherokee 4-Door 258
        1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 360

Comment

• CJ5
          350 Buick
          • May 07, 2002

I looked the other day at Husky Mat and they didn't have anything. I outfitted my Suburban when I bought it years ago. Those things are the ticket.
          Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
          '72CJ - Complete Restore
          '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
          '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• fsj1979
            258 I6
            • Mar 08, 2011

Here's what I just did for mine and I think I like it. It's actually a recycled rubber door mat from Lowe's. They were in the rug and carpet section. I used one for the cargo area and one for the tailgate. They were 3'x5' and are nice and heavy. They also have those deep treads in them, so they can hold some spillage and dirt. The only down side is that I would have really liked to find one that was deeper than the 3'. It doesn't quite make it to the back of the rear seat. You could always buy another though, I suppose. They are like $22.00 a piece. The one on the tailgate, I glued to a piece of 1/8" masonite first and then screwed it to the tailgate, so it's easy to remove when I need to work on the window.(notice I said WHEN I need to work on the window)

Last edited by fsj1979; 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM.
            Jeff

1979 Cherokee Chief
            2003 GM 5.3 liter Vortec
            4L60E/ NP 241c/ Dana 44's/ 33" BFG KM2 muds/ 4" lift

My 5.3 swap: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=140105
            Makin' her purdy: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=140286
            Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM

Just keep rubbin' money on it till it shines.

Comment

• budojeepr
              350 Buick
              • Feb 02, 2006

Nice!
              Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• bwwhaler
                258 I6
                • Apr 17, 2012

I looked the other day at Husky Mat and they didn't have anything. I outfitted my Suburban when I bought it years ago. Those things are the ticket. Yep, did the same thing with my wife's Tahoe, they are the ticket, too bad they don't make them for the fsj's
                87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

Absolutely

Originally posted by fsj1979
                  Here's what I just did for mine and I think I like it. It's actually a recycled rubber door mat from Lowe's. They were in the rug and carpet section. I used one for the cargo area and one for the tailgate. They were 3'x5' and are nice and heavy. They also have those deep treads in them, so they can hold some spillage and dirt. The only down side is that I would have really liked to find one that was deeper than the 3'. It doesn't quite make it to the back of the rear seat. You could always buy another though, I suppose. They are like $22.00 a piece. The one on the tailgate, I glued to a piece of 1/8" masonite first and then screwed it to the tailgate, so it's easy to remove when I need to work on the window.(notice I said WHEN I need to work on the window)

Fantastic solution. bed protectors are good too.

Recut & fit

pep boys has these things too.
                  Last edited by serehill; 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• fsj1979
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 08, 2011

Originally posted by serehill
                    Fantastic solution. bed protectors are good too.

Recut & fit
                    http://www.amazon.com/Protector-F-15.../dp/B0009XQG56
                    Thanks! I thought about the bed protectors too and that would have covered the whole floor. I just really liked the pattern in these mats as far as trapping dirt and spills. I also liked the price. Under $50.00 for the bed and tailgate. The other thing I like is that these mats don't give off much smell. I did have a stall mat in it before, that I cut to fit and it worked great too. It was 3/4" thick and ridiculously tough, but it just never did stop stinking up the Jeep. If any local guys are interested in that mat, I do still have it, if you like the smell of rubber.
                    Jeff

1979 Cherokee Chief
                    2003 GM 5.3 liter Vortec

Comment

• men in black
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jul 08, 2006

I get that black rubber diamond plate, that would make great flooring.
                      1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
                      Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
                      Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
                      Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

yeppers

Anything made wiith polycarbons/resons will smell as long as it is heated from the exhaust & sheet metal from the floor board. These are heat manufactured processes & when heated they will smell. The mat was not inteneded to do this. Kind of like when you smoke the tires you smell rubber. It's still a great idea for some. as these polys dry up the smell will go away.

I prefer the insulation from my FATMAT & insulated carpet. heating & air conditioning lose out on this stuff but it depends on what you do with your rig & where you live.

I would think it's a great sound deadener.
                        Last edited by serehill; 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• fsj1979
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 08, 2011

Originally posted by serehill
                          Anything made wiith polycarbons/resons will smell as long as it is heated from the exhaust & sheet metal from the floor board. These are heat manufactured processes & when heated they will smell. The mat was not inteneded to do this. Kind of like when you smoke the tires you smell rubber. It's still a great idea for some. as these polys dry up the smell will go away.

I prefer the insulation from my FATMAT & insulated carpet. heating & air conditioning lose out on this stuff but it depends on what you do with your rig & where you live.

I would think it's a great sound deadener.
                          Yeah, that stall mat is over a year old and it always smells. More when hot, but it smells cold too. I was told it would get better with some time, but it was still pretty bad. I'm thinking it might just be that it is 3/4" thick. That's a lot of rubber. The mats I have now only have a slight smell and it's a better smell. I actually have 3/8" polyethylene foam padding glued to the floor under the mat too for insulation. I used it to insulate the roof and new side panels too. LOVE it! SO much quieter!
                          Jeff

1979 Cherokee Chief
                          2003 GM 5.3 liter Vortec

Comment

• serehill
                            Gone,Never Forgotten.
                            • Nov 22, 2009

Even more interesting.

The foam should help a lot..

MIB 's solution would also be awesome. that would look great.

80 Cherokee
                            360 ci 727 with
                            Comp cams 270 h
                            NP208
                            Holley 4180
                            Msd total multi spark.
                            4" rusty's springs

Comment

• SJTD
                              304 AMC
                              • Apr 26, 2012

Doesn't BJ's sell the ACC vinyl floor for the cargo area separately?

Dunno if it has the wheel wells molded in. Might not fit well over the carpet.
                              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X