• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpruceGreen69Wag
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 27, 2003

Ignition Woes

I have an intermittent ignition starting problem. In the morning my '69 wagoneer will fire right off, but after it warms up it won't even turn over. Like it's dead, no power to the switch. I have checked continuity of the starter wires, ballast wire and and even checked the ignition start switch on the dash. Ballast and coil are bnew. All seem ok. Lately I have started this ritual of shifting through all the gears and even rolling the thing a few feet in neutral and trying again. At that point sometimes it will start.

(This jeep is my first big project. I must say I was very excited to find this site and look forward to visiting here often. This project has already started to slowly take over my life. My fiance has NO IDEA where this is going!! I love it.)
    69 Wagoneer<br />72 Buick 350<br />Holley 600cfm<br />flowmaster<br />rusted floors and lotsa dings
  • oddfire
    350 Buick
    • Oct 05, 2000

possibly starter solinoid is acting up.....phil
    76 Cherokee W/T 401

Comment

• Rande
      Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
      • Jun 26, 2000

Check the starter relay on the passenger's inner fender. As it warms up and things expand, it may be sticking. If it won't switch, you'll get nothing to the starter or coil.
      N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
      1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
      1966 Mustang
      1937 IH D2

Comment

• oddfire
        350 Buick
        • Oct 05, 2000

not sure if the buick solinoid is on the fender or on the starter, anybody?
        76 Cherokee W/T 401

Comment

• Don S
          • Feb 06, 2002

SpruceGreen69Wag...
          ... Welcome to the IFSJA group and I hope we can give you some ideas that will help.
          ... If you are saying the starter motor is not rotating and the starter solenoid is not clicking.? Perhaps it could be the neutral safety switch if you have an automatic transmission. If so I would try moving the gear selector between park and neutral while cranking or you might try jumping the starter solenoid...

Good Luck and CUL.. Don S..
          Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
          It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
          ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• PAJEEPER
            350 Buick
            • Jun 18, 2000

The 350 has the solinoid on the starter. It sounds like its heating up and not working a very common problem with GM engines. Your starter could be shot too. You can get a remote solinoid kit that will take care of the heat problem.

[ February 28, 2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: PAJEEPER ]

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
              GrimJeeperReaper
              • Jul 08, 2002

Welcome to the board, and check out the technical pages.....
              1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• SpruceGreen69Wag
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 27, 2003

Thanks for the responses, I'm guessing that it may be the neutral safety switch, as that's about the only think I haven't looked at real close. I will also take a hard look at the starter.
                69 Wagoneer<br />72 Buick 350<br />Holley 600cfm<br />flowmaster<br />rusted floors and lotsa dings

Comment

Working...
                X