• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeeper4life
    232 I6
    • Apr 20, 2008

radiator for lifted jeeps

Here is a link for jeeps that are really big. I found this four core radiator on sale for $215 shipped over Christmas and bought it. I thought it was really good deal at that price. These guys are always having sales on them. The problem I think I was having is because of how tall the waggy is off the ground the air was going underneath the jeep instead of through the radiator. As soon as I installed the new radiator it has never gone over 170 degrees. This radiator took a full gallon more antifreeze than my stock three core radiator. The core rows were alot closer together than the stock radiator also. Anyway I just thought I'd pass on the deal. Erik
  • Mex in the city
    232 I6
    • Apr 25, 2008

As long as the radiator fan is located behind radiator and there's a fan shroud air will flow trough the radiator and it should not matter how tall the jeep is. If you have a suspension lift there should be no efect at all.

However, if you have a body lift installed, the position of the radiator relative to an engine mounted fan will change, which is easily fixed by relocating the radiator (moving it down a bit so it's right in front of the fan). Another solution would be installing an electric fan, and attaching it to the radiator. If you do that, it will not matter if the body goes up or down, the fan is allways attached to the radiator. Depending on how much body lift you have however, you may need longer radiator hoses.

If your previous radiator had trouble keeping the engine cool is probaby because there was something wrong with the radiator itself, and not becasue of how much lift you have. If it still had the original radiator, then replacing the radiator is probably the best solution anyway.

I'm glad to see that you fixed it.
    83 Wagoneer. Front: 35 spline D60, Coil spring conversion, E-Locker. Rear: Sterling 10.5, Shackle flip, Detroit. Gear ratio 5.38:1. 39.5 Interco Irok's, HEI, hydroboost, hydroassist, bob job, sliders, roll cage, 12K winch. Runs on propane!!!
    87 GW, 3", 4.10, 32" BFG AT, K8600, 2131, 1406, HEI, hydroboost.
    71 Datsun 240Z turbo.

Comment

• jeeper4life
      232 I6
      • Apr 20, 2008

I had a flex fan and a shroud and it was still overheating. It wasn't real fast to overheat, but the temp would just keep climbing. I do not have a body lift so it seemed like most of the air was either going over the hood or under the jeep. Erik

Comment

• Dirtball
        304 AMC
        • Apr 10, 2006

If it was the original radiator it was probably a bad radiator cap... when you put in the new radiator you eliminated that part of the problem. I've seen EXACTLY the symptoms you just described eliminated by a new cap several times. A bad cap doesn't allow the system to work properly because it leaks air in.

Mine is lifted six inches and has no shroud and it never overheats... it did before I lifted it; my solution? A new cap...

Thanks for the information, though, for future reference... seems like a good price...

Glad you don't overheat anymore...
        Last edited by Dirtball; 03-06-2009, 10:42 AM.
        Paul
        1979 Cherokee N/T
        360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
        6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
        34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
        http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
        http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
        http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

• imiceman44
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 25, 2006

Originally posted by jeeper4life
          Here is a link for jeeps that are really big. I found this four core radiator on sale for $215 shipped over Christmas and bought it. I thought it was really good deal at that price. These guys are always having sales on them. The problem I think I was having is because of how tall the waggy is off the ground the air was going underneath the jeep instead of through the radiator. As soon as I installed the new radiator it has never gone over 170 degrees. This radiator took a full gallon more antifreeze than my stock three core radiator. The core rows were alot closer together than the stock radiator also. Anyway I just thought I'd pass on the deal. Erik
          http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...r-4-Row/Detail
          Like everyone says, the cap is most likely your culprit and the reason it overheats is not that it lets air in but it either releases pressure too soon, or it holds it too long.
          The cap is supposed to release at a preset pressure to let the overflow system work.
          Oh and the price is great for a 4 row.
          IceMan

Comment

• jeeper4life
            232 I6
            • Apr 20, 2008

I used the same cap that was on the old radiator. I was even having a problem when it was cold out. I tried everything I could think about, the thermostat, a different cap, I even pulled out the air conditioning condenser. Nothing worked though. Maybe my radiator was just bad. It never overheated when it was not lifted though. Erik

Comment

• Stuka
              • Jan 21, 2001

And the ditch the flex fan. They perform poorly in vehicles that don't go fast. Stick with the stock fan, or an electric fan.

Comment

Working...
              X