Last time on the stroker. 3rd time is a charm right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

Last time on the stroker. 3rd time is a charm right?

got the block back. decked it due to the incorrect deck finish from the last shop. the pistons will be a couple though proud of the block now,upping the CR a bit more.

this is the last time it's apart. it goes back together with all the parts-including the ill-spec'd pistons. will get the little VooDoo,and i'll stick it back in the GW and beat it into submission in a care free manner. meaning it'll run forever since i don't care.

here's the other fresh 401 crank i picked up from the shop as well for the next stroker that is on the back burner due to lack of money. rods too. will get set aside for better times.

Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
  • Jeepguy77
    350 Buick
    • Mar 16, 2008

So what are you thinking the comp. ratio will be know? and what sort of displacement is it gonna be?
    Pierce,
    77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

391ci. it has Wiseco pistons giving a 9.25cr with 58cc chambers.

with the skimmed heads and the deck,maybe closer to 9.5.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• The Colonel
        360 AMC
        • Feb 21, 2010

What's this one going in?

Comment

• 78J-10
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 15, 2008

YES I LIKE!! I have a .040 block with fresh heads awaiting a 401 crank and rods. Once i have my crank and rods ill order my pistons.

Any advice or things to watch out for when doing this kind of stroker?
          78 J-10: 258 w/2100,D20,HD44,14 Bolt,36's (SOLD )
          79 J20: 360 T18 D20 33s 36k: current state:
          88 Waggy: 360/727/Quad All stock rusty roof 78k :
          Tow Rig: 2013 CCLB 4x4 w/ 6.7L Cummins

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by The Colonel
            What's this one going in?
            '91 GW.

Any advice or things to watch out for when doing this kind of stroker?
            where to start........oh,i know. order your pistons yourself,and be sure the piston maker knows the intent of the pistons. i used a speed shop that "did these amc strokers all the time..." and he ordered mine in the incorrect compression height and alloy and spec'd the cheap open dish rather than a D dish. when i called him about the incorrect compression height he bailed on me,told me it's my problem. cost me a few hundred in machining charges.

401's have a rather severe rod angle,which is overcome by using a different alloy for the piston.

mine is at 9.25cr and still burns 87 octane with iron heads. i'd go 9.5 minimum,probably 10.0 next time.

balance it. ARP rod bolts.

when i pulled mine back out of the GW i had put a good 10,000 miles+ on it. it was doing nearly 14 mpg's. instant torque and zero cooling issues.

i wouldn't waste 2 seconds considering going beyond .030 on a 401 block when for a couple hundred more i can stick the rotating assembly in a 360 block,and have pistons made to my compression and dish style.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

Machined steel - aarrgghh-aarrgghh. Yum. Totally understand putting something on the back burner. I do hope the 3rd time is a charm!
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• bigun
                • Feb 10, 2003

Waiting to see how this one turns out
                charlie
                KB0HXA
                "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                Robert A. Heinlein
                The birth of CROM is recorded here
                http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

it'll run good,as it did before. oil control will be an issue. just as before.

i do have the VooDoo here for it.

i need to do a massive clean up in the car hole first,and i want to get the Cherokee at least driveable this weekend.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

I like your choice of parts and creme pies! May the Cherokee get up and dance too.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

got the rings,rod bearings and gaskets on the way. i had all the rod bearings in a box and marked. lost em. that's a 75 dollar bill. but i'm sure i'll find them now! lol!!

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

block cleaned and oiled. brushed out all the oil galleys and cylinders with engine brushes. i think i have all i need to put the crank in.

Comment

• 76FSChief
                          258 I6
                          • Feb 19, 2010

Looking like a nice setup. From what I read you ALWAYS do it right! Will be watching this build.

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

i did get the crank in. turns like it's butter. this block was line honed.

bagged up for next weekend.

Comment

• Ristow
                              • Jan 20, 2006

dropped the rods off for re-sizing. they were a though out of round and a thou oversized from the quality job the last shop did.... that's not a critical amount but it does affect bearing crush on assembly so i'll fix it.

no point in not having a strong rotating assembly.

Comment

Working...
                              X