SOA with 4" Springs Question - Too much PITA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cappicaper
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2008

SOA with 4" Springs Question - Too much PITA?

I currently have 4" springs on the 78 wagoneer and am planning an axle swap to full width and going SOA at the same time. Probably also inboard 63" in the rear. Looking to run 38" or so and plan on trimming as well although I would like to do it tastefully if that is possible. During this swap I am also going 700R & 241C if it makes an difference (which I don't think it will).

I am going to run a big hub 44 in front until (if) it blows up and then probably go for a 60 after that.

The question comes to the front driveline. Is this going to be too much of a pain to hook up? Will I have to roll the knuckles to order to make it work? I am going to need a little more lift than the SOA will provide but I might be better off with 2" springs and a slight body lift. Maybe I should find a driver drop x-fer case and a HP front?

Just looking for your thoughts on the matter and experiences you have had.
    78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
    69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
    www.buckstop.biz
  • Cappicaper
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2008

The more I think about it - maybe I am better off with a 518 tranny that fits the 401, a DD xfer case and an HP front axle?
    69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Dmntxn77
      Hey watch this...
      • Nov 19, 2004

Thats a lot of lift....

You will be better off with a HP front axle, thats for sure. You if you find one, you can rotate it up a couple degrees without messing with your caster/camper too much. Together that will give you a decent angle.

With that much lift, I assume that you just plan to use it as a cruiser or mud truck right? If so, the front driveline angle isnt as important anyway.

Comment

• Blake
        304 AMC
        • Dec 22, 2005

I'm going to be ordering some 3" or 4" front springs soon for my Goofy build, running an HP D44 up front. I'm already planning to make a custom tranny crossmember and clock the atlas down a little, for driveline clearance.
        Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• cajun_lad
          350 Buick
          • Feb 17, 2006

I had 4" lift springs on my 78 Cherokee N/T, and then went SOA and SF'd the rear and kept the 4" springs. I had 40" Ground Hawgs, and only had to trim a little. I was running a lp d44 front w/ d20 transfer case. I did grendade a u-joint in the double cardan, but it was b/c I was stuck in 4hi when I thought I was in 2hi, and I was doing ~40mph at the time. I didn't have any driveline binding on the trails. 4" springs + SOA is scary high, but it didn't feel nearly as tipsy as my Wag w/ stock springs and SOA.
          Joey
          Jeep-Less

Comment

• Cappicaper
            232 I6
            • Oct 27, 2008

I have located an HP 60 that I think I will snap up. This will change plans in that I will need to ditch the 241c and find an amc208 & 518. Might change over to blazer springs with reverse shackles at the same time. I think the extra $ will pay off in less headaches and no need for $300 adapter kits for the tranny.

I just dropped the 60 bomb on my wife and she is truly THRILLED!
            63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• HerrKooled
              258 I6
              • Aug 18, 2010

I have SOA and 4" (well 6" actually, they sent me the wrong springs) with 40's and it looks nice, we will see how practical when finished. May end up going to 2" lift SOA after.

Even so, my dream front D60 would be a HP with chomeolly axle shafts, OX U-joints and lockouts 4.88-5.xx with an ARB.

It will occur. I need a rouger truck to start with though IMO, expecially when I offroad my vehicles. You can tell who is show and who isn't by body and paint.
              '77 J truck.

Comment

• Cappicaper
                232 I6
                • Oct 27, 2008

Nice to her herrkooled....I am not alone in my insanity.
                63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• bearfacedkiller
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 21, 2003

My project (cause so far that is all it is) was sitting SOA on 4" springs with a 3" bodylift with 40's and it looked real good but was too tall for my liking with that much lift. You can make a driveline work with that but money is the obstacle.

I put stock springs back on and the driveline looks like it will be much easier. I want it as low as possible so as much bodylift will come off as can once it is finished and i test things out.

It really depends on what drivetrain you go with. I have a low pinion 60 and a 465/205 and don't want to spend a lot on a shaft plus I want a low center of gravity so the choice was clear for me. I think with some drivetrains it could be fairly easy and with some almost impossible. Clearing the rear door can be a problem as well if you plan to trim a lot. My 14 bolt wouldn't clear my gas tank that low so it had to be moved back which means the door is no problem for me but with anything bigger than a 38 it could be.

There is no right answer, it is your call. I would probably have this thing finished if I could make up my mind ( and stop buying guns and other trucks).
                  1985 GW: stock springs, SOA/SF, 3 inch body lift, d60 w/spool, 14ff w/detroit, 4.56 gears, 360/465/205 w/twin sticks and 40's.

I really am going to get this thing done soon so I can drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X