International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

View Poll Results: To hack dash or not?
Use AM/FM/CB w/ factory mic with MP3 player and fm transmitter 34 15.81%
Use another AMC AM/FM stereo with MP3 player and FM transmitter 17 7.91%
Hack dash to accept DIN 122 56.74%
Kepp current Sony shaft radio with broken cassette and use MP3 player and Fm transmitter 4 1.86%
Any other options that will work will be entertained 38 17.67%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 AM

i had a wagoneer that the po did that too. it looked bad,and the glove box wouldn't stay shut anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Noob!

My Hack at the dash to install a DIN stereo.

Installed a Rockford Fosgate AM/FM CD Stereo. Stereo was free from a friend. Sony "Explode" 6"x9"s in the panels behind the front seats and forward of the back seat next to the ash trays. Added MTX 6-3/4" mid-bass speakers with 8-ohm voice coil in the door panels.

Cut out hole with Dremel, hack saw and finished with hours of filing.

Finished product:

I'm please with the outcome. Now I can bounce down my dirt road and only hear the sweet sound of Creedance Clearwater!

1974 Cherokee, 360 Performer w/4Bbl Holley/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Skyjacker lift with 31"s
2004 Rubicon
Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 AM
327 Rambler

All the speaker surrounds say "Accusound by Jensen," so I kept the theme and put in a 7" touchscreen Jensen (yes, Jensen is still around!).

Has GPS touchscreen navigation, Sirius/XM, and a backup camera -- all while retaining a mostly stock look. Didn't have to do anything other than trim the bezel surrounding the stereo, which is fine since I have an NOS bezel in the parts pile.

[/url]
Old 02-25-2015, 02:26 PM

I'm not a fan of fancy multimedia tuners--they just beg for thieves to break your window. I'd just get a simple, clean blue-tooth compatible stereo. You're phone can be your multimedia device, and you're likely to upgrade that more often.

Better yet, just hack a bluetooth input into the OEM stereo. It's not that hard.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:44 PM
327 Rambler

I can't remember the last time somebody had their window smashed for a car stereo. They have about as much street value as a tube television.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:02 AM
bmax65

depends where you live :-p

in my old neighborhood, you name it, it got 'smashed-n-grabbed'.

stereos, lights, wheels, even stupid hood ornaments and some badges/emblems. Mercedes hood ornaments got turned into big gold necklaces.

anything you might have left on a seat visible thru any window was fair game, too.

even now, miles from that hell hole, the 'new breed' of tweakers will take anything they think might get them their next score...batteries and cables, heater cores, radiators, catalytic converters...even car stereos

funny, you get out of a city area, and you think things will be better. even out here in the semi-boonies, they have the same mentality, the bleeping ding dongs just look a bit different- no more Raiders gear and pants down, now it's backwards ball caps, Carhart's and missing teeth and red eyes.
they seem to survive on Red Bull and cigarettes. and have shakes as bad as an old style alcoholic with the DT's.

thieves should have a date with a wood chipper.

maybe after a few fingers....or even a forearm are missing, they might get the point their activities are not appreciated.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:26 AM
Noob!

Blue

I think I have posted my ideas previously, leave your old school radio or whatever in the dash, rewire the on control to power up an amp you can hide under your seats or where you like, attach a Bluetooth receiver to the amp( Ebay 10 to 20 $) and use your phone or Ipad thingy to play Radio or mp3s etc, easy, I use an old 8 track in the dash and inserting a cartridge turns on, no pun, the amplifier and folks think the 8 track still works, why should I disappoint them ?