International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-12-2002, 08:20 AM

If I install a new steering stabilizer, would I see any benefits in my day-to-day driving? One mechanic said my stabilizer is leaking and that a new one would help my steering. I think he's wrong.

I'm not expecting rack-and-pinion precision and feel with my '91 GW steering, but, my steering has a dead spot in the center, and I have about an 1" of play in the steering on each side. Also, the steering wheel is slow to return to center.

I already fixed a bad tie-rod, and that took care of some play. Another mechanic says the steering gearbox maybe too tight. Any suggestions? Larry.
1991 Grand Wagoneer (1st Jeep-bought 8/1/02). <br />--Rear main seal leaks fixed. What a pain!!<br />--GMB 1040P Hi-Perf. water pump and Hayden fan clutch<br />--TFI upgrade (MSD 8.5mm wires, MSD TFI coil, Champion truck plugs<br />--Bilstein shocks (front and rear)<br />--Optima battery <br />--HI-perf. alternator (powermaster)<br />--New Napa starter<br />--dual electric fans (plus clutch fan)<br />--Removed electric fuel pump (hated it: too noisy and exposed to elements)
Old 09-12-2002, 08:24 AM
Master Mechanic

I will cure some wander at speed on the road. It wont do anything for the dead spot or the slow to center problems.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:38 AM
JB Welder

Amen....
Old 09-12-2002, 08:45 AM
Jerk

yeah, the steering stabilizer is meant to dampen "bump steer" when off road, but also has some benefit on less than perfect roads. the other problems you mentioned are related to the steering geer box and steering alignment/compon-ents.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

greasing the tie rods helped my return to center problem a little. check out the steering column for play.there is a rubber connector that gets worn
Old 09-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Geriatric Doctor of FSJs

Exclamation

TheGossert… There is a condition know as Death Wobble… You can read about it at NAGCA.COM… It is a front-end ‘shimmy’ that can cause the loss of control of a vehicle and is mainly a highway speed problem. It seems the larger and heavier tires and wheels aggravate the problem. I’ve had the condition in two of my cars and Steering stabilizers help alleviate the Death Wobble problem… ..CUL.. ds..
.----------------------------------------------
76 406 QT TruTrac 2"lift 31x10.50s been over 261 Colorado MTN Passes since '85-BRC#30093 http://www.sharetrails.org/ –Join and save your Trail
Jeep of the Month http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/test.html
http://communities.msn.com/ATexasOkl...urwebpage.msnw More OURAY Tips ABOVE *******Abbreviation & Acronym List BELOW
http://groups.msn.com/ASW4x4CampingT...eviations.msnw