• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blake5179
    232 I6
    • Jan 07, 2011

Junkyard TBI setup $$$$

I have a 77 Cherokee with a 360, T18 manual and Dana 20 TC. Currently has an Edelbrock offroad carb on it. Jeep runs really well and does great on everything BUT steep angles. I like to run rockcrawling trails and everytime I try anything too steep the carb stalls out.

I have been searching on here and all over the internet about the TBI setup.

I am curious if people that have done this conversion could give round about prices how much it cost them. I know there are $1000+ kits out there but I am looking more at the junkyard DIY setups.

So far I have found that I will need:
    ECM $20-40 Junkyard price
    TB $20-40 junkyard price
    Wiring Harness w/sensors $30-50 junkyard price
    Tuned Eprom chip $100 m-a-engineering price
    Line filter (coil to ECM) $75 m-a-engineering price
    Fuel lines, connectors $???
    Adaptor plate and gaskets (TB to intake manifold) $???
    O2 sensor bung for exhaust $???

Am I on the right track? Missing anything big?
    1977 Cherokee
    360 V8 T18 Manual Dana 20 TC
    Lockers front and back
    Warn 5721 winch
    36" TSL's beadlocks
    Holley Fuel Injection
    Front manual hubs
    SOA and SF
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

M-a-Engineering should learn how to spell. It's a TACH filter. A tack filter would prevent you from stepping on something sharp.

That said, I think PAYING someone to send you a modified chip is silly. You can either use the ASDU chip (Search for seller ragged on ebay) or go to moates.net and change your ECM to an EEPROM that you can burn yourself easily without a UV burner.

You'll need the proper fuel pump, too. About $100 or so. Lots of people report good success with a VSS, too. (Vehicle Speed Sensor). You can get it from the Jags That Run website.

See my sig file for more TBI info.

EDIT: If you go with computer controlled timing, you will not need the "tach filter" and will (obviously) have computer controlled timing, too. You will need the ability to reprogram chips to do this, however.
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• blake5179
      232 I6
      • Jan 07, 2011

GM TBI donor vehicle

I am wondering about what year vehicle's are best to use as donors. From what I have read the 88-91's seem to be best.

Last weekend I went to the junkyard to start collecting parts for my swap, the best condition throttle body I could find was on a 92, I pulled it and all the wiring and sensors and the computer. I noticed the computer isn't the 7447 one that most people talk about but I figured I might as well grab it with everything else.

The computer I now have says SERVICE NO. 16146299 AWLD on it.

What are the differences in this one and the 7447? Is this one worth the effort to make it work or would it be easier/better in the long run to go back and find a different one?

Thanks,
      Blake
      1977 Cherokee
      Lockers front and back
      Warn 5721 winch
      36" TSL's beadlocks
      Holley Fuel Injection
      Front manual hubs
      SOA and SF

Comment

• Mex in the city
        232 I6
        • Apr 25, 2008

The 7747 can be found in late 80's and early 90's trucks. I don't think they're that different from the one you have, but I've only used 7747.

I picked up everything I needed but the fuel pump (which I already had) for $190. I will make the TB adapter myself.

You will need a lot of programming before you get your rig running right. Ask me how I know.

For a bit over $100 you can buy a chip burner, blank chips and an ALDL cable. So, don't pay somebody else to program the chips for you. It will be a waste of time and money (mainly time). Again, ask me how I know.

You need to read a lot. Here's a good start:

To keep stickys to a minimum, I will try to keep the most important threads linked from here. First, all information is free but this web site isn't. So as you sift thru all I have posted here, if you feel it has helped or saved you some time or money...please consider becoming a member. Then...
        83 Wagoneer. Front: 35 spline D60, Coil spring conversion, E-Locker. Rear: Sterling 10.5, Shackle flip, Detroit. Gear ratio 5.38:1. 39.5 Interco Irok's, HEI, hydroboost, hydroassist, bob job, sliders, roll cage, 12K winch. Runs on propane!!!
        87 GW, 3", 4.10, 32" BFG AT, K8600, 2131, 1406, HEI, hydroboost.
        71 Datsun 240Z turbo.

Comment

• chrism
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 07, 2002

From what I remember the 16146299 ECU was a 1 year only deal (1992). You can use it but just for the sake of being able to find spares easier I would use 7747.

I have an LT1 in my wag that uses a 1 year only ECU (1993) and they are almost impossible to find.
          1979 Cherokee
          1979 CJ-7

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

Did you read the Binder Planet's FAQs? That will tell you what you should be looking for.

The 1227747 ECM is very popular and has tons of support. There are others that are faster and better for datalogging, etc., but the '747 ECM is still a favorite if you want cheap and easy.
            Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• blake5179
              232 I6
              • Jan 07, 2011

I have been doing a ton of reading on this site and on the Binder Planet site. Lots of good info out there. I still have lots to learn...
              Everyone seems to think the 747 is the favorite but I am wondering if this one I picked up will also work.
              1977 Cherokee
              Lockers front and back
              Warn 5721 winch
              36" TSL's beadlocks
              Holley Fuel Injection
              Front manual hubs
              SOA and SF

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by blake5179
                I have been doing a ton of reading on this site and on the Binder Planet site. Lots of good info out there. I still have lots to learn...
                Everyone seems to think the 747 is the favorite but I am wondering if this one I picked up will also work.
                It might. It might not. It depends on how much research you want to do on it and how many resources are available for it.

Personally, I have no knowledge about that ECM. That doesn't mean it won't work. That just means I can't help you specifically with that ECM.
                Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• Chumley360
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 06, 2007

OK I cheated with this, as I have spare parts from the shop, but I've only got about $250 total in my JY-TBI. And that includes a few odds and ends that are only for "possible" later use, like an MS adapter and modded ECU case. All the brackets I made from some scrap pieces of aluminum. I'd say that you could easily get in the $500-700 range with all new sensors, any pigtails(if you need new ones), the adapter, pump, filter, etc, etc.........It would add up quick. The big cost item, IMHO, is the inline VSS. That's $75 right up front. I got lucky when I scored my harness, ECU, and TBI it was 1/2 off day at Pick-N-Pull and the donor I found had a new AC Delco reman ECU and Prom. So just go slow and look for the good deals.
                  1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

NAPA sells the weld on O2 bungs.
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• chrism
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 07, 2002

Another thing you can use when you can't find an O2 bung easily lives in the HELP section of your local auto parts store. Look for "spark plug anti foulers" in the 18mm variety. Cut the bottom off and you have a weld in O2 bung. 2 pack for $5.
                      1979 Cherokee
                      1979 CJ-7

Comment

• Chumley360
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 06, 2007

Originally posted by chrism
                        Another thing you can use when you can't find an O2 bung easily lives in the HELP section of your local auto parts store. Look for "spark plug anti foulers" in the 18mm variety. Cut the bottom off and you have a weld in O2 bung. 2 pack for $5.
                        Those also work well for rear O2's after you've added a "free flow" cat. It helps to fool the sensor into thinking things are all normal.
                        1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• blake5179
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 07, 2011

Thanks everyone, I did more reading and then yesterday I went back to the junkyard and picked up one of the more common 7747's.
                          Maybe the other one would have worked but it will be better to have the common one that most you guys have so I can ask more questions in the future.
                          1977 Cherokee
                          Lockers front and back
                          Warn 5721 winch
                          36" TSL's beadlocks
                          Holley Fuel Injection
                          Front manual hubs
                          SOA and SF

Comment

Working...
                          X