• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CTGW
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2018

Transmission shifts quickly through second gear

So my trans seems to skip second gear. I mean it shifts into second but immediately shifts to third. None of these shifts are very confidence inspiring but this seems not quite right to me. I've only got about 500 miles under my belt so I cant speak to this being a new issue. Far as I can tell its the original trans with 177k on it. Fluid and filter are new. Is this normal?
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

Your TV link is disconnected somewhere, or way out of adjustment . Follow it down from the carburetor, verify it is fully operational.

Then adjust it to be pulled fully forward at full throttle.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

Checking fluid level is first, don't forget that.

Next is throttle linkage adjustment. The bell crank on the transmission must reach full travel at the same time the engine throttle reaches wide open. Also, the transmission bell crank should begin to move the instant the engine throttle is moved off idle. The linkage adjustment is absolutely critical to preventing the destruction of a torque flite.

The next step after that is checking the kickdown band adjustment. 72 inch pounds torque on the adjuster then back off roughly two turns. Or, about 1/4 inch free travel on the servo.

The next step after that is dropping the valve body...
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• CTGW
        232 I6
        • Jun 12, 2018

Ok, thanks guys. Great advice and knowledge. All the linkage is loose and the plastic retainer that held one of the bars is smoked so it wont hold the pieces together. Is there somewhere I can get some replacement bits for this system?
        1987 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

finding the correct sizes can be tricky. lokar makes a cable that removes the whole bellcrank mess,but go to the parts store they have a kit full of assorted size bushings and retainers you can buy cheap and try.

dodge dealer may have them too.

also keep in mind trans fluid levels are checked engine running,transmission in DRIVE on these,as the dodge tranny does not pump fluid into the converter in P or N.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Working...
          X