X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

I was going to ask you if you had one but since BJ's sells them for under $7. I figured why hassle it. Lol! If they can't ship right away, I"ll let you know.
    Thanks Dusty!

I'm going to start the engine assembly tomorrow and as long as we don't run into an issue, we should be able to install the engine this week.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

This is what happens when you forget to check the dip stick clearance before gluing the pan on. Lol. You get to buy another gasket set and do it all over again. New engine is together and ready to install tomorrow.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-30-2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

Got the new engine in and it runs pretty good except I think the distributor is messing with us. I ordered a new MSD Ready to run, it should be here any moment. So, we've been continuing on with the wiring. Oh what fun.

Anyone know what these two AC wires plug into? We haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-30-2022, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
          350 Buick
          • Jul 09, 2009

Here you go Mr. Kilby.

(Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• bkilby
            350 Buick
            • Jan 10, 2016

Thanks! We were guessing that they went to the factory fuse block. But, we aren't using the factory fuse block. Can you tell me which circuits those wires went to? I'm trying to figure out if they're straight 12V, switched 12V or something else. I have to improvise.

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

Never mind. Got it figured out. One is the 12V feed to the AC switch. The other comes off the AC switch, back to the factory fuse block. This wire connects to the AC clutch through the firewall connector. I need to find a new AC switch too.

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

Got to spend a little time yesterday tinkering with the Jeep. Swapped over some tires and wheels from another FSJ that's parked at the shop. After installing the MSD distributor, I decided to relocate the coil to the driver fender. So, I had to pull the power wire back through the harness and re-route it. Not a big deal when dealing with new wiring. The engine runs way better with that distributor. I even got to break it out of the shop and let the sun shine down on it while taking a short cruise down the street and back. I still have a few things to do like button up the wiring, run all vacuum lines to everything that needs them (dash, tranny, tcase...) but all in all, it's coming together nicely. We're about ready to bolt the hood on but I'm not looking forward to the ugly hood scoop the PO installed. Can't wait to address the axles and suspension!

Last edited by bkilby; 10-30-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 10, 2016

Not much to report the past few days. Just been cleaning up wiring and such. I need to start the vacuum hose routing but I don't have the hard lines going to the tcase. I guess I'll just route hoses for now, until I can find the tubes. The dash pad is being recovered right now, I'm suppose to have it back tomorrow. We'll see. It's coming along nicely and I can't wait to drive it!

Some buddies hanging around.

Audio of the engine. The cam is a bit larger than I would have chosen but it's what came with the engine so it's gonna get ran. Lol! Sounds good though.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-30-2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 09, 2009

It looks like that homeless dude is back?

Haha

Great to see someone is working on their jeep.
                    OH!
                    I think I have an extra set of tubes here.
                    (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• bkilby
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 10, 2016

Lol! Yeah, I can't seem to get rid of him. If you have extra tubes, that would be cool. The junk yard had them for the later years but not mine.

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

So...asphaltrockdweller was kind enough to bring me the hard lines for the tcase and transmission. Thank you! It's really appreciated! I'm going to try to get those installed tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've been chasing my tail on a small oil leak that I haven't figured out yet. I thought it was the valve covers, so I bought new gaskets and glued the hell out of them. Fired up the engine and the leak comes back. Lol! I think my next step is to re-look at the pan gasket and see if it's the culprit. 6 days of non running and it's still dripping. Ugh! Anyhow, changed the oil, swapped in a new temp sender, drained the radiator and added antifreeze, new valve cover gaskets and let it run. 30 minutes later, I can't get it to warm up enough to really check anything. Yes, new thermostat. The water isn't flowing when cold. This thing simply doesn't want to warm up in the shop. I guess that's a good thing. The blanket in front of the grill didn't seem to help much.

Still waiting for the dash pad. After I get it, the glass goes back in and we move on to whatever the next step is.. I mean, after the oil leak fix!

Comment

• bkilby
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 10, 2016

Got the dash pad. The color is a little off but I'll have to deal with it. Not a bad job though.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-30-2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

Wow. It's been 2 weeks since I've done anything. Time flew by quick. Got the dash pad mounted then moved the Jeep out of the way for another project. 1972 Cuda that need some clean up and love. It should be out next week but I think there's another Mopar coming in right after. Time will tell. The holidays are really screwing things up. Lol! I'm working on a local company to see if they can supply new rubber for the side windows but it might take a bit. Freakin holidays.

I hope everyone has a great new years! Enjoy enjoy enjoy! Happy New Years everyone!

Comment

• bkilby
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 10, 2016

My poor Jeep got pushed to the back of the shop again as I had other small projects to take care of. That's ok though, more money for the Jeep.

I did manage to get the windshield and side windows installed today though. Well, I should say I had a glass guy do it. I'm second guessing the windshield gasket though. We can't seem to get the stainless trim installed. I think it looks better without it until you see the channels in the rubber puddle up with water. Ugh.

Last edited by bkilby; 10-30-2022, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 10, 2016

Spent the past couple of days fixing little things here and there. Vacuum lines ran to the dash and tcase, cut carpet to install tcase shifter and high beam switch, installed different temp gauge as the old one wasn't working and so on.

So now that I have the emergency drive switch connected, it got me thinking about the Milemarker "part time" kit that's in the tcase. I understand how the differential in the tcase works in the stock configuration. I understand the difference between high and low range. I understand what the emergency drive switch is for in a stock configuration. What I am unsure of is....since the PO installed the MM kit (not me with hands on experience), what does that emergency drive switch do now? What mode do I leave it in during street driving?

Comment

Working...
                                X