Fabbing a Traction Bar for the Honcho (anti-wrap bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blake
    304 AMC
    • Dec 22, 2005

Fabbing a Traction Bar for the Honcho (anti-wrap bar)

I've been 'wheeling the old J10 since the build about 2 years ago. In that time I've broken several rear Ubolts, cracked the welds on the spring perches and mangled the perches. It doesn't have to much wheel hop, but it does have some.

Planning to drive it to Moab next month and want to minimize breakage and maximize traction.

So after reading lots and lots of threads on the topic of Traction Bars, here is what I've come up with so far.

All I really need is to get a stick of 1.5" OD 1" ID DOM, then start welding it on.

What do you guys think so far?

Note the use of a stock FSJ front shackle

Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.
  • 68glad
    350 Buick
    • Jun 01, 2006

That looks PIMP compared to my bare bones one. The only thing I'd change is on the bracket that gets welded to the axle housing. Make the notch at the bottom edge of the bracket rather than the middle. The bottom link is going to hang down below the axle otherwise. No sence in that unless it's necessary.
    68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
    78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• Stuka
      • Jan 21, 2001

I think you will be surprised how much of a difference it makes. The 4 link in my JK has totally spoiled me when it comes to rear suspension. If I had the cash I would convert my J10 over to coils in an instant.

I think your springs will thank you also for the anti-wrap bar.

Comment

• csuengr
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 19, 2011

Don't think it's going to do much good where you currently have it located.
        If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• jeeping1974
          360 AMC
          • Jun 17, 2007

How much of an offset do you have from the middle of that crossmember? It looks like you'll be right at the edge of the pumpkin if not on it. (could just be how the pics look too.)
          03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
          06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• Blake
            304 AMC
            • Dec 22, 2005

Well I've decided to go ahead and yank out the entire rear axle assembly and replace the leaf spring perches. Those perches are in bad shape.

I think I will pull the truck forward out of the garage, remove the axle, then roll the axle into the garage with the tires still on it. Leave the truck out in the driveway for a couple of days on big jack stands

Comment

• Blake
              304 AMC
              • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by jeeping1974
              How much of an offset do you have from the middle of that crossmember? It looks like you'll be right at the edge of the pumpkin if not on it. (could just be how the pics look too.)
              None of that stuff is welded on. I just fabbed it up and snapped a pic.

I can mount that anywhere. I've read that it's best to put a traction bar on the passenger side...

Comment

• ChevyJoe
                232 I6
                • Feb 28, 2012

I've seen them primarily on the passenger side but always have read that you want to put them as close to the center of the axle as possible.

Also, you want your lower link or bar just a hair lower than the drive shaft so rocks hit it before they hit the drive shaft. With the axle mount you have shown, you can afford to move it up a bit so it doesn't drag

Comment

• ElkyRacer
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 20, 2011

Any reason for using joints on the axle end? Seems like overkill to me as the front joint is going to do all the flexing. You could get away with cheaper bushings on the axle end.

Comment

• Blake
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 22, 2005

I'm using those Johnny Joints 'cause I already had them laying around. They are a little small to use for control arms, so I'm using 'em on the traction bar.

I just removed the entire rear axle assembly and ground off the old leaf spring perches as I'm replacing them. Will also paint the entire rear end.

Comment

• ElkyRacer
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 20, 2011

Nothing wrong with using what you have laying around!

Comment

• Blake
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 22, 2005

I ended up changing designs halfway through. I used a piece of 1.5" OD 1" ID DOM for the main lower bar and a 1" ID 1.25" OD tube for the upper bar. Also replaced both rear spring perches and painted the entire rear assembly.

Here is a pic from last night prior to painting everything.

Comment

• jeeping1974
                          360 AMC
                          • Jun 17, 2007

Looks good! What did you use for new spring perches?

Only reason I ask is a friend of mine used some square stock and had it stick out a little further than most to help with keeping the springs from wrapping as much. At least that's what he plan is.
                          03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
                          06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• Blake
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by jeeping1974
                            Looks good! What did you use for new spring perches?

Only reason I ask is a friend of mine used some square stock and had it stick out a little further than most to help with keeping the springs from wrapping as much. At least that's what he plan is.
                            I used a pair of spring perches that I got from a local 4x4 shop. They were only 5" long, but that is all they had in stock. Made in USA!

Comment

• j20brett
                              360 AMC
                              • Jul 05, 2006

Blake do you run stock springs in front or lift springs?
                              Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                              X