• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pair O 79 J10
    232 I6
    • Apr 08, 2012

Quadra Trac Chain Revisited

Decided to do a little inquiring concerning the Quadra Trac Chain , specifically the chain offered by Crown.
    I sent them this inquiry:

Inquiry: I am interested in purchasing this replacement chain from an authorized dealer, however through the various forums on the web I have been notified that your chain has reliability issues, specifically chain stretch is excessive in extremely low miles. Question; have you folks addressed the reliability issues of this product?

Answer:

We have addressed the issues with the reliability on the transfer case chains used in the Quadra Trac transfer case (8122392). We do not currently have any inventory for this part. Any chains that are currently being distributed are not the revised chains. I do not have a timeframe for the revised chains to arrive.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Adam Dunderdale
    Technical Service Representative
    Crown Automotive Sales Co. Inc.,
    [email protected]

What I found interesting was "Any chains that are "currently" being distributed are NOT the revised chains".

So I take this to say that anyone currently selling a Crown QT chain is of the old design/material. In addition this seems to be saying even the chains currently being offered with a 12 month warranty.

So Crown is acknowledging a reliability issue, and they are saying any chains currently in stock are of the old design. What is disheartening is their statement that there is no time frame on the arrival of the "revised" chains.

Well at least I now know that any Crown chain being sold by any vendor is not their revised chain regardless of the stated warranty.

Also you have to give props to Crown for addressing the issue and to not continuing to supply an inferior product to customers. I have to say I'm impressed, their voluntary withholding of inferior chains says a lot about the company.
  • PlasticBoob
    All Makes Combined
    • Jun 30, 2003

Very cool...but I still wonder whether or not they truly "fixed" them, relative to the Morse chains. I need to stock up on a few chains and am hesitant to drive my Jeep much without a spare around.
    Rob
    1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
    Click for video

Comment

• jrlane
      258 I6
      • May 17, 2007

Chain

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
      Very cool...but I still wonder whether or not they truly "fixed" them, relative to the Morse chains. I need to stock up on a few chains and am hesitant to drive my Jeep much without a spare around.
      I put a New Chain in my Q-Trac that came from ( Whatever it Takes Transmission Parts ) and it seems to work Really well. No Problems Yet and its been over a year.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
        All Makes Combined
        • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by jrlane
        I put a New Chain in my Q-Trac that came from ( Whatever it Takes Transmission Parts ) and it seems to work Really well. No Problems Yet and its been over a year.
        What engine are you running, and is it stock? Supposedly even the good quality chains are only good for 30,000 miles or so, and I have a 401 pushing 400ft-lbs, with a heavy foot and Aussie locker.
        Rob
        1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
        Click for video

Comment

• jrlane
          258 I6
          • May 17, 2007

Engine

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
          What engine are you running, and is it stock? Supposedly even the good quality chains are only good for 30,000 miles or so, and I have a 401 pushing 400ft-lbs, with a heavy foot and Aussie locker.
          Its just a stock 360.

Comment

Working...
          X