• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean
    258 I6
    • Apr 09, 2000

(TOM) BW QT idea, plus ?

Bahamut and I were exploring a low range unit one day when an idea came to me.

What if someone made the input sprocket smaller? If you made one the same size as the output sprocket from an OD kit then you could have an internal full time reduction. Just use the OD chain. This would be like changing both diffs, or would compensate for larger tires. After looking at the sprocket it looks like someone with gear hobbing experience could cut one.

Now the question, How do you tell if your chain is a good one or a cheap one? I bought a used case with a 1to1 PT kit in it and the chain looks tight. Also the shift can looks new but I can blow through it, it appears to be a piston and not a diaphram. Trash?

Thanks, Dean.
    edit, I am referring to the two big sprockets that the chain rides on.

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Dean ]

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Sitting Bull ]
    '78 Wagoneer Limited, 401/Q-trac W/low range. Mods so far, carter 4 bbl., rancho 3" lift, rancho RS5000 & RS9000,GB ign upgrade. '85 GW now with reverse, but great body. Donor rigs, '84 GW, '78 J20.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean:
    Now the question, How do you tell if your chain is a good one or a cheap one? I bought a used case with a 1to1 PT kit in it and the chain looks tight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dean, I can't help with deciding the quality of your chain but factory specs for max allowable deflection of the chain is 1/2".
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

In principle, I don't see why it can't be done. I imagine that the reason it HASN'T been done is economic; not enough demand to justify the expense of tooling up for a new gear.

Another upgrade might be from the original 10-spline TH400 output shaft to a fine-spline and matching sun-gear for the reduction unit. Maybe even of larger diameter. I've seen a junkyard tranny where those splines were bent and almost gone.
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• flyboy
        258 I6
        • Oct 15, 2001

went thru two reduction units before i realized the splines on the output shaft were trashed. I was towing an equipment trailer with a bobcat. Lots of weight.I run a TH400/D20 now. Never had trouble with the qt in my cj, had a 304 and 38's.
        73 J-4000,360,TH400/D20,springover,Q78 buckshots

Comment

• jeepbob
          Jeep Idiot
          • Jan 16, 2001

The biggest problem will be (besides the cost)the fact that the splines in the cone clutches are not strong enough to handle the reductin that the low range has now. To put anymore strain on them would be asking for trouble.
          65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

Working...
          X