• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DieselSJ
    304 AMC
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Carnuck
    Only adjust that screw with the wheels pointed straight ahead! Also check for a bad rag joint making your slop as well as loose steering box bolts!
    Slight edit - make sure you do this with the steering box centered, which may or may not be with your wheels pointed straight ahead. That would also be a good time to adjust it so that your wheels are straight ahead when the box is centered.
    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
    -99 XJ Limited.
    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
    -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• MadMax78
      258 I6
      • May 26, 2010

Sorry, I should've been more clear

What Carnuck and others said. Look it up on line and watch several videos to get the hang of it before you try this. Sorry i wasnt more specific. Its not hard to do but you do need to research it first. I forget about the rag joint. I no longer have one so it's out a site out a mind I guess. I took up most of the slack in mine this way. I still have enough to tick me off so I am replacing all of the TREs next. Steering box is a reman unit. Had a shop install it. Should have done it myself.
      MadMax78
      78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• Xenolithic
        232 I6
        • Nov 30, 2006

This weekend I went out to the garage and started her up a couple times, let her run. It's idling at high rpms before settling down after a couple minutes and warming up. I've been slowly working new gas through the system after years of mothballs.

Today I finished installing the new garage door opener in the garage I keep the Jeep in and tidied up my workspace. Then I looked over the BJs 2" lift I've had sitting around for way too long and decided this is the week! I jacked up the passenger front and started soaking the bolts in PB Blaster. At this rate I'll have the lift installed ... this time next year. Let's hope I can ride this wave of motivation and overtime cash flow.
        2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
        2001 XJ Sport
        - Solar Yellow -Sold
        1988 Grand Wagoneer - Stock, typical non-existent '88 Dover Grey Paint Job, AMC 360 V8, Gasoline Super Soaker

Comment

• MadMax78
          258 I6
          • May 26, 2010

Was Cheap

I needed both headlight rings and was too cheap to buy new ones. I repaired the broken ones with a pop rivet. Works and I'm not out any green backs.

Drill holes

Install modified (shortened) pop rivet

Test

MadMax78
          78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• Heep-J4000
            350 Buick
            • Feb 09, 2014

Well removed the T15 trans from my 73' J4000 (placed it 6 weeks ago)
            It turned out that the front bearing cap broke in two
            Ironically it was the only part i re-used from the old beat-up t15 it replaced

Lucky me that i got a short t15 bearing cap on the shelf ,so turned the broke piece in a lathe to make it fit onto the short bearing cap.
            pressed the two together with some red loctite and also made a alloy sleeve that got pressed onto the (new) bearing cap for a bit more strength.

Maybe it was better to go for a new part ,but this is what i had and could make over the weekend ,because the J4000 is my daily work truck!

So for overhauling the beat-up T15 trans im looking for a long front bearing cap ,and also a long clutch shaft in good condition.
            If you have some parts and would let them go ,let me know by PM
            Thanks!
            Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
            73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
            80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
            70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
            85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
            83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• SIUADOG
              232 I6
              • May 18, 2014

I finally cleaned the leaves and crud out from the driver side fresh air vent. Did there was zero airflow going through there, And we just assumed that the door was stuck. It was really a pain to get to, But the truck is probably several pounds lighter now.

Just Empty Every Pocket

1988 Grand Wagoneer
              AMC 360
              727 TF
              No modifications so far... Yeah, I'll probably keep it stock.

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• azmtn04
                232 I6
                • Aug 18, 2015

Started ripping and tearing the old exhaust off. Purchased a Y pipe, Magnaflow Cat, and Flowmaster series 50 muffler. Will post pics during the install.
                1981 Cherokee Chief S

Comment

• BadRat
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 06, 2015

Pulled my roof rack and headliner.....had been noticing some leaks obviously coming from above.
                  4 of the 12 rubber compression mounts were missing.

So....prepping to do it right with a permanent solution, and redo the headliner (which is now moldy on the backside).

However, other than the leak, the roof panels and supports are surprisingly like new condition....no rust anywhere, black primer still good shape everywhere.

Will post pics on another thread
                  Kurt; but you can call me anything you want, except late for dinner
                  1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Hand me that doo-hickey wrench thing, and a beer

Comment

• SlowGear
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 12, 2013

Blasted my fuel tank skid plate
                    [/IMG]
                    Mike

88 Grand Wagoneer
                    Bone stock - except the missing stuff

Comment

• KdkGrizz
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 18, 2014

The rebuild Starts

This weekend was the start of the Engine rebuild. So the Montana Waggy, started it's first round of surgery. I was VERY surprised to find that so many bolts were, Not so tight. Though I do live in Michigan, and everything here is rusted. The only fasteners that gave us any problems were the Y pipe to exhaust manifold bolts. Which was expected. But a little heat, and enough air pressure and they all came out (Well one stud did back out of the manifold).

Upon first inspection, obviously there are bad seals front and rear (I mean it sat outside for 15 years in South Central Montana I expect every seal and gasket to be replaced) The Flex Plate was more chewed up than I had expected it to be. So that was added to the shopping list.

So this week, I will start pulling the top end off (Good compression in all cylinders averaged 132 big smile - No Rings please please please).

Have a great week everyone...
                      Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
                      360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...

Comment

• ZackN920
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 18, 2015

Finally finished the carb(2150) rebuild today after work. Plan to get the Wag running again this weekend.
                        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• gump
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 11, 2006

Pulled the windshield dash and doors. Started cleaning and prepping the cab for primer and paint in the very near future.
                          The Black Beast
                          69' J-3000
                          Buick 350, T-18 Tranny, Dana 20 Transfer case

Comment

• DieselSJ
                            304 AMC
                            • May 19, 2003

Did a Durango 160a alternator install on the XJ. Gotta quit working on this thing and get back to the Waggy.
                            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                            -99 XJ Limited.
                            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                            -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• KdkGrizz
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 18, 2014

Well there's yer problem

Hey everyone. Well we dug deep into the motor this weekend. I am pretty sure that I found my engine tick. But I could be wrong.....

Now if you're not already rolling on the floor laughing about now. it gets better. Most of the lifters were so dished out on the cam lobe side I Could use them as cereal bowls.....

Cam lobes were anything but smooth, and the bearings are gone.

So the block is headed to a local shop to be tanked, and bored....

Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
                              360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...

Comment

• ZackN920
                                350 Buick
                                • Nov 18, 2015

^Geeze, was that thing still running before disassembly???^

Well, I remounted my new coil in(don't ask how I had it in there before...), wired my cheapy tach in, and fixed the grill. Previous owner never put the bottom screws/bolts in when he swapped it back to the late 86+ style, so there was a 1/2" gap at the bottom. I didn't like that look...
                                1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                                Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                                ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

Working...
                                X