• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brokechump
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 07, 2004

VA Safety Inspection 68 J

Ran into a problem at the inspection station this morning with my 68 J-3000.

They weren't clear on some emissions stuff! I've got an AMC 327 thats been rebuilt and has no vac canister, return line to the tank and no PCV hooked to the carb. Does anyone know if this is required for the 68? The station manager claims 67 is the cut off year for this in VA.

The other issue was taking the front hubs apart to inspect the front brakes. Would cost too much time for the $15 inspection.

Need some expert guru advice please! Anyone else had this issue? TIA

-Dan
    68 J-3000
  • beloth
    350 Buick
    • Jun 06, 2003

So let me get this straight...they are telling you sorry; we can't pass you because we can't tell if Your emissions stuff is complete and cannot inspect your brakes because it would take too much of our time.

In arizona. there is a emissions exemptions center in Tucson that deals with issues when you have spent the limit mandated by law and still cannot pass. Check and see what your area has and go plead your case to them, I just cannot see how a State or County can refuse to inspect something just due to It's age or their employees just being dumb A$$es/
    1966 wag "JENNY" w/1973 drivetrain
    330K miles w/360 V8 2bbl (HEI installed ), flowmaster muffler
    TH400 /Dana 20 transfer case D30 /D44 w/ 3.73's LT235/75/R15 AT tires. lift shackles in frt. 2 in lft; w/ TAD's Dozer bumpers! Cost $700 -now total cost=?

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

There won't be a charcoal canister the tank was vented to atmosphere via a vented gas cap. There is a PCV valve. Kaiser called it a ventilation valve and also a hose between the oil fill cap and the air cleaner. The 327 ran the smog/air pump and associated plumbing, check valves, air injection rails on the exhaust manifolds etc.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• twisted frame
        350 Buick
        • Apr 01, 2003

Why would they need to take the hubs apart to inspect the front brakes??? That makes no sense at all, right? Don't they just set the E-brake and put the truck in gear? Since when does any inspection station take drums off or even take wheels off to visually inspect brakes? Am I missing something, or are they really saying they want to take the hubs apart?
        Mike
        1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
        44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
        Now in black primer.

Comment

• Bob Barry
          Jeep Doctor
          • Apr 09, 2000

I've had the drums pulled to check the condition of the brakes on cars in NY and RI; a ***** of a job on an older FSJ, for sure, but they can't protest that it's too much work for them.

I'd definitely call the state DOT and complain.
          1987 J-20
          Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• brokechump
            230 Tornado
            • Sep 07, 2004

Here in VA along with all the lights and stuff they lift the vehicle and check brake pad and shoe thickness, drum and rotor thickness, and make sure the wheel cylinders aren't leaking.

Does anyone have a scanned copy of the 68 emissions/vac diagram? Proof the shop doesn't have to worry about the canister.

-Dan
            68 J-3000

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Dan, there isn't really a diagram but I'll scan some pics from the TSM that may help. I'll leave them as big files(.jpg) for clarity.
              joe

Comment

• brokechump
                230 Tornado
                • Sep 07, 2004

I'd appreciate it -joe! It's killing me to not drive my truck!
                68 J-3000

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Good luck Dan. I remember from years ago VA has some goofy inspection criteria. Last I was there visiting in Albemarle(sp?) county a friend had a mid 70's Wag and VA had something going about "if it came on the rig it has to work". They refused to give Jim new lic tabs till he got his AC working.
                  joe

Comment

• twisted frame
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 01, 2003

Wow, and I though Mass. was strict! Good to know.
                    Mike
                    1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
                    44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
                    Now in black primer.

Comment

• Cory
                      304 AMC
                      • Nov 01, 2002

folks,

these laws that fellow virginians are dealing with, are only found in the northern part of virginia.

down here in Tidewater, none of that stuff applies.
                      91 Final Edition GW: Stock for now.

Comment

• Geeeep
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 02, 2002

Virginia Vehicle Services: Emissions Inspections

...No vehicle subject to an emissions inspection will be registered or reregistered by DMV until it has passed an emissions inspection or has been issued an emissions inspection waiver directly from DEQ for special circumstances.

When you have your vehicle inspected, the emissions station will update your vehicle record at DMV immediately. For emission inspection program fees and information or to find the location of the inspection station nearest to you, please visit the Department of Environmental Quality at (703) 583-3900 or toll free in Virginia at 1-800-275-3844.

Certain motor vehicles are exempted from emissions inspections. This includes:

Any gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year and with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more (i.e. on January 1, 2005, vehicles with a model year of 1980 are exempt from emissions; on January 1, 2006, vehicles with a model year of 1981 are exempt from emissions).
                        These vehicles also fall within the definition of "Antique Motor Vehicles". However, a vehicle that is twenty-five or more model years old does not have to display antique license plates to be exempt from emissions requirements...
                        Dave Pitts, located directly over the center of the earth!

GW - 87 GW 360/4bbl/727/208 Vinyl floor, manual windows, no woodgrain
                        Find someone to haul your Jeep here: YT Hauling Schedule

Comment

• Geeeep
                          304 AMC
                          • Nov 02, 2002

Virginia Vehicle Services: Antique Motor Vehicles and Trailers
                          ...Vehicle Services: Antique Motor Vehicles and Trailers

Antique and Vintage License Plates

If you own a passenger vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or motorcycle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year, you've got an antique! Depending on how you plan to use your vehicle, you may choose antique, vintage or any one of our standard license plates. Antique license plates are provided by DMV; vintage license plates are original Virginia license plates issued prior to 1976 that you provide. Antique vehicles must be insured with motor vehicle liability insurance or you must pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee.

Is your antique vehicle just for show??

If you plan to use your antique vehicle or trailer solely as a collector's item, you may register your vehicle with antique license plates or permanent vintage license plates.

Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to:
                          Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
                          Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
                          You may not, however, use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work.

If you are providing vintage license plates,

The issue year of the license plate must match the model year of the vehicle.
                          DMV must inspect and approve their physical condition.
                          To register your vehicle with antique or permanent vintage license plates, DMV charges a one-time fee. Use form VSA14.

Your license plates will be valid for as long as your own the vehicle.
                          You may not transfer your license plates to another vehicle, but you may surrender them to DMV and then register them to a different vehicle for an additional fee.
                          Unless the vehicle was manufactured for one licensee plate only, you must display license plate on the front and the rear of your vehicle.
                          ?or do you plan to use it for everyday driving?

In order to enjoy unrestricted driving privileges in your antique vehicle, you'll need to provide vintage license plates and register your antique vehicle for general transportation purposes. Just like owning a modern vehicle, you'll have to:

Renew your vehicle registration every year or every other year (depending on whether you renew for one or two years), pay the same registration fee you would pay to purchase standard license plates.
                          Display month and year decals on your vintage license plates.
                          Obtain an annual safety inspection sticker for your vehicle.
                          If you own another vehicle or trailer of the same model year, you may transfer your general transportation vintage license plates to that vehicle.

For more details about the use of antique or vintage license plates, visit Virginia Code Section 46.2-730...
                          Dave Pitts, located directly over the center of the earth!

GW - 87 GW 360/4bbl/727/208 Vinyl floor, manual windows, no woodgrain
                          Find someone to haul your Jeep here: YT Hauling Schedule

Comment

• brokechump
                            230 Tornado
                            • Sep 07, 2004

Thanks for sorting through the Virginia Code...I remember coming across the starting point for the code at one time but gave up trying to figure out what section to go through!

I'll have to print ALL this out!
                            68 J-3000

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

Unless Geeep has a typo the I don't see where it helps.

"Any gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year and with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more..."
                              The key word in the above appears to be "and". If it read "25 years or older "or" with a GVWR of 10,000 I'd say you're in business. But the way I read it it says to me to be exempt the rig needs to be 25 years old and at least have a GVWR of 10000.

edit: BTW Dan did you get the pics?

[ May 13, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: -joe ]
                              joe

Comment

Working...
                              X