• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tman008
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 30, 2019

63-72 Instruments

I'm hoping to do some maintenance on the instruments in my '72 Wag, which will include the heater/blower controls to the left of the steering column, and the gauge cluster. My only issue is how those parts come out of the dashboard.

There's no obvious mode to remove those parts from the front, and the rear of those instruments are difficult to see with the wires still in place.

Anybody know how this is done? Any pictures that'll help me out? I don't want to start taking things apart when I don't fully understand what I'm doing, especially with potentially sensitive parts like the speedo.
    Cheers,
    tman008

• Sep 27, 2017

I actually document the heater controls here
    So now that I think I have figured out photo posting I think it's time I can tell you guys all about my truck. I wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the build section but think it probably falls in the category of prissy for sure. It's going to take a couple of posts to get the full story in so it is a bit of a long

with pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph or two about it.
    '72 J4500

Comment

• tman008
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 30, 2019

Originally posted by Crankyolman
      I actually document the heater controls here
      So now that I think I have figured out photo posting I think it's time I can tell you guys all about my truck. I wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the build section but think it probably falls in the category of prissy for sure. It's going to take a couple of posts to get the full story in so it is a bit of a long

with pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph or two about it.

Wow, thank you. That's gonna save me a lot of trouble and experimentation when I get around to fixing it!

The previous owner of my Wag rigged the heater blower to a cheap, crappy aftermarket switch, and the defrost to floor heater flap didn't even work, so I only ever get heat on my feet, which in Montana is a massive headache.
      Cheers,
      tman008

Comment

• Crankyolman
        350 Buick
        • Sep 27, 2017

Your welcome, sorry for the short answer but I have been very short on time lately and I think I got pretty detailed on that post.

If the actuators work you can tee both actuator vacuum lines to the one line coming in from the vacuum reservoir and it will give vacuum to both actuators making the defrost work. I currently keep mine on defrost only and there is plenty of heat making it past the lower one to keep me nice and warm and the windshield defrosted. If they don't work you can wire them open.

I haven't taken the instrument cluster out but here is what I understand about removing it.

There are 4 screws that hold spring clips. The spring clips hold the cluster in the dash. If you take the screws out the cluster should pull forward. I am not positive but I think the electrical connector just pushes on, it's a big multi pin connector on the left (or right when you are on your back under the dash) If you have broken pins or need to replace the entire circuit board PartsDude has replacements ( http://stores.partsdude4x4.net/ )
        '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
        X