International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Other

Old 06-14-2000, 06:13 AM

Unhappy

I have a hard time starting my 77 Wag. I crank and crank and pump and pump to no avail. As soon as I add some gas to the carb. with a turkey baster it fires up and runs. So I checked the carb cold to see if the accelorator pump is working (new motorcraft from Holly) and see now visible signs of gas. Next I pulled the fuel line off the carb and turned over the motor to see if the fuel pump was working. No gas. While I was cranking it over to check this out the engine fired up and ran (with the fuel line off the carb and the truck cold). Shut down and replaced the fuel pump. Cranked it over and still no gas. When I bought the wag it had an after market electric pump in line down by the tank. I removed it right away to check it and it was frozen. ( the wag had been sitting for three years) Should I put a new electric back on or check the tank out first(hate to pull it if I can avoid it). I understand that the eccentric on the end of the cam may be worn. I don't really want the tear apart the front of the engine either. Any ideas? Thanks.

------------------
77 Wagoneer Limited
360 4v, QT, T400
Old 06-16-2000, 02:51 AM

Wink

not sure if this helps. i had the same problem on my 83 Wag Ltd. it was the choke valve getting stuck. pulled the air filter housing, cleaned it off with A LOT of carb cleaner, and haven't had problems since. i also replaced the fuel filter and battery as well, but that's an entirely different story. hope this helps.

------------------
Freddy
1983 Wagoneer Limited
"Life is short...drive a Jeep."
Old 06-17-2000, 11:15 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Orange Crush:
I have a hard time starting my 77 Wag. I crank and crank and pump and pump to no avail. As soon as I add some gas to the carb. with a turkey baster it fires up and runs. So I checked the carb cold to see if the accelorator pump is working (new motorcraft from Holly) and see now visible signs of gas. Next I pulled the fuel line off the carb and turned over the motor to see if the fuel pump was working. No gas. While I was cranking it over to check this out the engine fired up and ran (with the fuel line off the carb and the truck cold). Shut down and replaced the fuel pump. Cranked it over and still no gas. When I bought the wag it had an after market electric pump in line down by the tank. I removed it right away to check it and it was frozen. ( the wag had been sitting for three years) Should I put a new electric back on or check the tank out first(hate to pull it if I can avoid it). I understand that the eccentric on the end of the cam may be worn. I don't really want the tear apart the front of the engine either. Any ideas? Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>try this test but be CAREFUL!! 1 rig up new supply + return lines from pump to gas can. if gas gets to carb,fuel pump is good. if gas doesnt flow replace pump,test agin, rehook up jeep's fuel lines to pump. check for gas @ carb, no gas, bad line or pickup. a few weeks back there was a thread about re-starting a long dormant engine its worth a look see.the worst thing you an do to a car is to let it sit.also check out tech tips there were several how tos on gas tank r+r. good luck

------------------
'88 gwag
Old 06-18-2000, 05:37 AM

Wink

I just went through all of this and it turned out to be crap in the gas tank. Please see my previous posting to see what I did. http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~zeimet/...ML/000145.html I think the only differance will be you have a steel gas tank and I have the poly type. Good luck.

Dave
Old 07-02-2000, 07:07 PM

Wink

had the same prob just found out yesterday
that it was a creacvk in the fuel line the metal one that cvomes off the frame thers
a 1\2 bolt and bracket holing the line
right before it the line goes into rubber fuel line the bracket was rusted as hell
caused an air leck but no fuel leak
cheak that first save pulling the tank
which i was gonna do today before i found it
hope thet helps
rod
81 wagoneer