York compressor failure.. Brand freaking new unit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasJ10
    360 AMC
    • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by Beach_Dude
    Would it be safe to assume that the AC clutch being engaged and turning, with standard York Compressor charging noises would indicated that the compressor is on or could it still be off?

Still curious on the diameter of the flare side differences between the high and low side service valves though... Totally should have taken note on that when I had them made.
    I'm not sure what you are asking here. From your post below you identify the valves you purchased as being low side #10 (5/8"), and high side #8 (1/2").
    * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
    * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
    . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
    * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• Beach_Dude
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 03, 2011

Well, I'm replacing the compressor because it isn't working.

But my question was what the diameter of the flare fittings were, which after getting the system evacuated at my local ac shop, discovered they were #10 and #8.

Since there's no replacement or NOS for jeep service valves, I posted what I found above which appears to be a direct and interchangeable part.

I'll keep you guys posted on it.
      1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
      360 w/ MC 4350
      All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
      Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years

Comment

• TexasJ10
        360 AMC
        • Jan 03, 2002

Thanks. This has been a good thread
        * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
        * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
        . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
        * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• Beach_Dude
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 03, 2011

Oh the ing joys of rebuilding this ing AC system.

Everything is officially new. EVERYTHING!!!

While charging, we weighed in freon at 2.25lb, and there were bubbles. So, we upped it to 2.4 . No bubbled.

But now it seems the brand new freaking expansion valve isn't working or there's a minor clog somewhere in the brand ing new system.

Regardless, it's winter, I'm not worrying about it for a few months and blah. I'll just tackle it every so often.

As for the service valves, FREAKING AWESOME-SAUCE FIND!!! They matched the original factory service valves to a T!!! So stoked...

However, I did remove the quick-disconnect internals and will order replacements that were used on the original Ford Mustangs, same piece if I'm not mistaken. Anyone else just delete the quick disconnect internals?
          1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
          360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

Moisture in the system will freeze and plug the expansion valve. Extremely high discharge pressure and extremely low suction pressure indicates a clogged system.

A bad expansion valve can destroy the compressor if the valve is stuck fully open. It will flow way too much refrigerant into the evaporator. The refrigerant leaving the evaporator will still be liquid when it enters the compressor and this will blow the valves out of the compressor. It literally shatters the hardened steel valves into little pieces of shrapnel that careen around inside the aluminum compressor and absolutely destroy it. I lost one compressor that way.

Seriously forget about charging it by weight. Different receiver/dryers have different capacities and you've replaced the receiver/dryer. Get a sight glass on the discharge line between the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve and charge it until the bubbles go away. You'll ned that sight glass in the future because your system will have a slow leak and need topped off every year or so. You can't top-off by weight. I have three of these A/C systems in my garage and restored and service them all myself. Trust me on this.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

I have read in forums on the web that the new systems don't have sight glasses because a 134a system will still have bubbles when properly charged.

Being the cynical fellow that I am I wonder if they were eliminated to keep people from maintaining the level on a system with a slow leak.

I guess I'll find out if I ever get my Wag running with a Vintage Air system. The drier has a sight glass and I intend to keep the stock one on the fender. VA's instructions say to charge it with humptyump pounds.

A do wonder about this since they have no idea what it's going into and how long the lines will be.
              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by SJTD
                I have read in forums on the web that the new systems don't have sight glasses because a 134a system will still have bubbles when properly charged.
                That's weird based on my experience. I've converted all my systems to R134a and the only time they have bubbles in the sight glass was if they were low on charge or had air in the system from either not being evacuated correctly or if the charge hoses were not purged of air before being connected.

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

Didn't make sense to me either. One of the fucfuncfunctions of the receiver/drier is an accumulator that should be partially full of liquid. The pickup is at the bottom so there is liquid leaving it.

Only thing I could come up with was maaaaaybe the density of the gas was so close to that of the liquid that it didn't separate well. Never got around to looking into that possibility yet.
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• ProTouring442
                    327 Rambler
                    • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by SJTD

Being the cynical fellow that I am I wonder if they were eliminated to keep people from maintaining the level on a system with a slow leak.

I guess I'll find out if I ever get my Wag running with a Vintage Air system. The drier has a sight glass and I intend to keep the stock one on the fender. VA's instructions say to charge it with humptyump pounds.

A do wonder about this since they have no idea what it's going into and how long the lines will be.
                    It's actually true. My wife's 300ZX has a sight glass, and with the system properly evacuated and refilled to 70% of what it held with R12 (or whatever it actually is, I forget), there are still bubbles. It has to do with 134A rate of expansion when heated, if I recall correctly. In any case, top the system off to a clear sight glass and it will over pressure and blow the relief valve.

And, of course, it isn't actually air, it's refrigerant in its gaseous state.

As to the Vintage Air instructions, you'll have to play around with the charge until you get it just right, but their estimate will be very close.
                    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                      327 Rambler
                      • Mar 03, 2011

So, I really don't know how many times I've rebuilt this damn system. It's just ridiculous.

This time I went to a highly reputable AC shop that builds custom ac setups for classics, etc. He told me that I should just rebuild it all again, new condenser and driyer since he believed it was clogged.

After everything was back together, vacuumed it, let it sit over night and sealed. When taking it in, he verified vacuum, ran again then charged. He found a minor leak in the compressor, but said it might take a year or two till 8 notice it.

He did mention that the compressor was weak since the suction side was showing 40 psi.

All in all, $240 of r12 and $200 in labor, I accept it.

But then he was showing me a few things under the hood and I asked if the frost formung on the suction service valve is/was acceptable. He quickly rushed to the temp switch and turned it down half way saying that I shouldn't go lower than that since it would cause flowback of freon.

Ok, I got it.

A day later the system starts acting intermittently AGAIN!!!! FML!!!!

So, the only thing I'm coming up with is that every expansion valve I've bought and used is from the same retailer. Same brand, etc. I have the bulb/coil crimped on the low side of the evaporator and taped off with insulation tape.

I've got the feeling that the expansion valves are not only allowing too much freaon to flow through, higher PSI on suction but also that the freezing service valve is a sign that liquid freon is slowly killing my compressors.

Intermittent flow shows a complete shut off of the valve, the freon liquid sits in the sight glass, no flow, etc.

Murray from O'Riellys. I know.. I know. 4 seasons is better, carid is better, blah blah blah... They're all made in the same plant.

I've got the feeling that these are all junk.

Also, when the system is cycling normally, I notice that the freon flows a little backward in the sight glass. Can this be a sign that the compressor's valves aren't prevently backflow during cycle?

Does anyone have ANY IDEAS?!?!?!

I've spent way too much time 9n this and I've concluded that I'm just going to buy a tank and recovery machine since I've spent three times that already with ac shops.

Help!!!!
                      1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                      360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        • Jan 09, 2011

The expansion valve is flowing far too much refrigerant. It thinks the evaporator outlet line is hot so it's metering lots of refrigerant into the evaporator. This often happens when the thermal sensing bulb of the expansion valve is not properly installed. It needs to be fastened tightly directly to the metal outlet tube of the evaporator and wrapped with insulation. The expansion valve itself must be mounted to the inlet of the evaporator and refrigerant must flow through it in the proper direction.

Otherwise it's a bad expansion valve, which is very rare. There is no such thing as an R12 or an R134a expansion valve. They work the same and are calibrated the same. Most of my cars are running their original 40+ year old expansion valves that still work fine. If your current expansion valve is installed correctly and continues to malfunction, get another one or get your original one back on.

In any case, it's going to rapidly explode your compressor if you keep running it like this.

Remember how I told you about exploding my own compressor? It was because the thermal bulb had come disconnected from the suction line. The expansion valve locked itself fully open in response.

The whole, "R12 systems converted to R134a require only 80% charge of R134a" thing stands for C.C.O.T. systems, AKA orifice tube. This is not that kind of system. Expansion valve systems don't care much about their charge level so long as there is enough liquid refrigerant inside the receiver/dryer to keep the pickup tube sumberged.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Sadly likely due to the crap parts they sell us.
                          When I redid mine a defective new expansion valve killed my compressor.
                          $200+ in more parts and my labor and it worked until the brand new compressor took a dump.
                          Exchanged it for a replacement and it worked flawlessly for over a decade.

Sorry not much help but just because the stuff is new means little these days.
                          Same deal on my Caprice, brand new compressor crap right out if box. Had to replace it 2nd time. Brand new ACDelco condenser had wrong line size and the orifice tube wouldn't fit. Returned for made in China that fit horribly but got job done @ least.

New parts are a roll of the dice these days
                          Tony
                          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                            327 Rambler
                            • Mar 03, 2011

The bulb is connection to the suction side of the evaperator, which should be closing the expansion valve is freezing is detected, but seems it isn't.

Also, is there supposed to be backflow of refrigerant when the AC cycle is off?
                            1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                            360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                              327 Rambler
                              • Mar 03, 2011

Well, I'm doing another compressor and expansion valve.

Going with 4 Seasons on the Expansion valve since I can't seem to find a motorcraft it ac delco cross match part unless someone knows the original manuafacturer?

Unfortunately I'm still gonna use the Murray compressor since I can get it warrantied out.

I ordered a RobinAir RG3: https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-RG3-.../dp/B00NMOYPVG

Also got a tank for $75.

All in all costing about $500 after tax. Basically, I've spend a small fortune on ac shops just for recovery and charging.

Spoke to a commercial HVAC buddy and he mentioned that I can simply switch the lines around and charge, opposite of recovery.

I'm going to connect it all up after switch, open all the valves, then run a vacuum on the whole system from the opposite port. I can use the second service valve to then close the vacuum then charge the system.

Chime in anyone... I'm rebuilding for like the fifth time next week.

Good to go?
                              1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                              360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• bkilby
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 10, 2016

Wow. You sure have had a lot of problems with your AC. Kinda scares me as I'm getting ready to install AC in mine. Lol.

I can't help much on charging your AC but I know a thing or two about York compressors. Question for you. Is the York standing up or laying down? If laying down, is the suction port on top? The compressors come both ways, just making sure you're putting the correct one in.
                                1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

Working...
                                X