• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GW Fisherman
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 28, 2005

Watching the news and all these new cars with computers

are not stopping, accelerating out of control, air bags deploying, and generaly killing occupants. Sure makes me feel better knowing my wife and family are safe in the GW. Just put a new set of tires on last week and had to replace a wiper motor yesterday. Cost me about $600.00 total or two car payments. Should not have to worry about tires for another 5 yrs and a wiper motor for another 15yrs. Gas mileage sucks but the safety is heads and tails above the new cars.
    Last edited by GW Fisherman; 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM.
    2001 Subaru Outback 3.0 - Mamas assault vehicle
    1989 Grand Wagoneer - DD and Boat Hauler
    1985 Mercury 115hp inline 6 outboard
    1989 Champion 184DCB - Bass boat
  • dajeeps
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 19, 2008

makes me feel safe too.i only own fsj
    82 wagoneer dd
    73 j4000 crewcab project

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by GW Fisherman
      are not stopping, accelerating out of control, air bags deploying, and generaly killing occupants. Sure makes me feel better knowing my wife and family are safe in the GW. Just put a new set of tires on last week and had to replace a wiper motor yesterday. Cost me about $600.00 total or two car payments. Should not have to worry about tires for another 5 yrs and a wiper motor for another 15yrs. Gas mileage sucks but the safety is heads and tails above the new cars.
      And the insurance is not sky high. I would have been SOL if I'd had anything but the GW. The wife wont drive anything else. I have her sold...
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

And at least if the brakes go on the FSJ every car around you is your crumple zone! Replace brakes, buff out a few scratches and get back on the road!
        Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
        77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
        The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

• GW Fisherman
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 28, 2005

Wife just called me and told me it is sleeting at the house. Told her to make sure she is in 4hi and that her wipers are good to go when picking up my boy from school
          2001 Subaru Outback 3.0 - Mamas assault vehicle
          1989 Grand Wagoneer - DD and Boat Hauler
          1985 Mercury 115hp inline 6 outboard
          1989 Champion 184DCB - Bass boat

Comment

• gladman
            232 I6
            • Jan 16, 2010

I've got both. My company car is a prius. Like most stuff, there are knuckleheads and people who pay attention. They do a class for you when you get these new cars and teach you what to do if you have a problem (problems are not unique to any car or device, right)... the problem is most people have the attention span of gnat.

There are several good failover tactics for the new cars, but, at least in my little class, most of the people weren't listening or didn't care, they just wanted to point and drive....

The prius is an interesting car (free is good) and a different kind of 'drive'... It does not provide the joy or thrill of my glad, but, it has its good points... for me, it ain't usually the car that sucks... it is the operator....

the big wreck that started this mess could have been averted if the guy knew how his new fancy car operated.... the equivalent of not knowing what a choke does...

the right driver in either car can get down the road... if I have the choice... I pick the jeep.
            44's/Automatic

Comment

• dajeeps
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 19, 2008

once i hit a stump at 30 mph and almost rolled down a mountian. anyways we got it pulled out the next morning it fired right up and dorve it away.ran great for 7 months afterwards.,until the motor died.the only damage was the front bumper was bent a little.
              same cab is on the crewcab now
              i'll see if i can find the pics and post them.
              82 wagoneer dd
              73 j4000 crewcab project

Comment

• Austin 4x4
                350 Buick
                • Jul 28, 2009

i feel safe driving a giant chunk of iron around all the little tin boxes.
                '73 J4000 4 door longbed http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=120147

'85 Wagoneer

YES i WILL be in ouray in 2013!

Comment

• sappy76
                  327 Rambler
                  • Dec 26, 2007

We got 12" of snow overnight. I hit the road at 5:45am to go to work. The plow trucks hadn't been out yet and the Chief didn't miss a beat. The only thing I was worrying about were the other cars sliding into my rig and causing me to redo the body work. I don't worry about sliding, spinning, or even getting damaged beyond the a crinkle in the panels. I know I may be too confident, but it sure beats driving around in a tin can that cost over $20,000.
                  1976 Chief
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=96753

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
                    350 Buick
                    • May 15, 2009

As much as I love my FSJs, I will have to say that we as drivers/occupants stand to get hurt alot worse than the nitwits in those beer-can rides. I have, for some time pondered an air bag system, but without having to add the body computer needed to run em.
                    I would think that an SRS system in an FSJ would be the ultimate in safety compared to the new stuff. As far as those slow speed fender munching crashes.....all I can say is "Shoulda had an FSJ"!

Jim
                    KY7DX/6
                    76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
                    77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• cfg7613
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 11, 2006

Does anybody remember the amount of recalls we are experiencing today when these vehicles were a year or two or three old ? Heck no...all of these computers have one heck of a lot riding on their "perfect" day to day operation. Sometimes in cars - just like with boats - less is more !!
                      1988 Grand Wagoneer
                      360 V8/ 727 Trans
                      Stock as stock can be !

Comment

• Peter Matusov
                        258 I6
                        • Nov 03, 2002

Originally posted by gladman
                        the big wreck that started this mess could have been averted if the guy knew how his new fancy car operated....
                        Are you talking about a CHP officer killed with his family in San Diego crash?
                        Peter Matusov /68 Wag/95 Range Rovers - SWB & LWB/96 Discovery - white and green/01 XC70
                        AK6PM

Comment

• CJ the noisemaker
                          304 AMC
                          • Nov 28, 2009

But one issue with the FSJ is that it can't pass a car. When I tried doing it, the six barely kept up with the slow car to be passed. And ultimately, an oncoming car got too close, I had to lock the wheels, and get back behind the other car (which in turn decided to do the speed limit). Really scary experience if you ask me.

Sure it is good to think that some accidents, your jeep will drive away. But in some situations, it makes you feel kinda spoiled.

*Please note, passing in an FSJ only works if the transmission downshifts into 2nd, and you get up to 100. CJ tested, mother approved
                          CJ
                          [/COLOR][/SIZE] -1985 Ford LTD Country Squire "Rarity" - 302/AOD

Comment

• Jeepguy77
                            350 Buick
                            • Mar 16, 2008

weve learned at wyotech so far that some of the only reasons cars have computers is mainly for emissions and the yuppie. if it weren't for those things the fsj would still be being produced
                            Last edited by Jeepguy77; 02-10-2010, 10:25 PM.
                            Pierce,
                            77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• KJ Ryu
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 06, 2008

Originally posted by Jeepguy77
                              weve learned at wyotech so far that the only reason cars have computers is mainly for emissions and the yuppie. if it weren't for those things the fsj would still be being produced
                              I bought my KJ (Liberty) because I had 2 kids and needed a "dependable" ride. So far, she's been great. I've had to do some work but it was mostly "voluntary" (ie: upgrades). I did make sure that it did not have ABS, TCS, ECS, DBW, or any of the electronic nannies. It's a nice dependable rig with a weak front end (someday, I need to put a solid axle under there). Given my choice though, I'll take the J10 over that pile o' plastic, any day.
                              Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
                              1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
                              1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
                              1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
                              One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

Working...
                              X