• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BHT
    232 I6
    • May 23, 2001

(TOM) Add-A-Leaf

Let's hear about the various vendors that make Add-A-Leaf lifts for FSJs. Good, bad, price, installation, etc.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Sitting Bull ]

Worst I know of is Procomp 3" AAL's...I had them the first year of owning my FSJ, and they are STIFF!!!!!! almost 3/8" thick and only 28" long. I learned the hard way... after catching air with these (accidentally), I bent the spring above the AAL since they were only 28" long and not full- length. DON'T BUY THEM!!!

Rancho 2.5" AAL's are used by many FSJer's here and arfe full length. Best way to go if yoy ask me....
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• porkchop
      Master of B.S.
      • Apr 17, 2000

I used the Ranchos and I am happy with them. They are very easy to install and came with all the hardware needed. The rear one's are about 30" long, but you can get the front ones that are full length and put them in the back. AAL's make the ride stiffer but I prefer the stiff ride since it helps with axle wrap.

They are pretty cheap. If I can remeber the front ones were about $65 and the rear about $45.

Comment

• WINGO
        327 Rambler
        • May 06, 2000

I installed the Rough Country AAL system and picked up about 2.25" of lift. I purchased the leaves, shocks and boots for $ 215.00 from JCW.

The ride is definitely more harsh, but I don't use my GW for road cruising.
        <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg

Comment

• Michael
          AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

I went with Rancho's. Picked up 1.5" in the front and an amazing 4" in the rear. My rear springs were shot. They are a stiff ride but they ride great on the trail and on the highway. Mine feels much more stable all around since I did them. The cost around $125 for front and rear. This is the way to go. They were very easy to install.
          1994 YJ
          Amc 360
          TF727
          Stak 3 speed
          44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
          Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
          401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually

Comment

• jeepbob
            Jeep Idiot
            • Jan 16, 2001

I have a Full length AAL in the frt along with a couple of extra leaves in the pack and extra leaves in the rear with a shackle flip and my ride is actually pretty good, in fact I could use a little heavier shock in the frt to stop nose dive in the whoops.
            65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• fas2c
              327 Rambler
              • Jan 05, 2001

What about adding leaves to a set of lift springs. I thought that RB had a set under his lift springs, but I was wroong [img]redface.gif[/img] . I am just wondering if it is possible, or too much of a safety risk/PITA.
              fas2c

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: fas2c ]
              EL MENO<br />1974 Wagoneer<br />360-THM 400w/QT<br />Elderbrock intake-Non ERG w/ Q-Jet<br />Elderbrock double roller timing chain<br />31-10.5\'s<br />3\" Body Lift<br />4\" BDS Springs(yet to be installed)<br />135,000 miles<br />Soon to have:<br />New Mud Grips

Comment

• Lindel
                Perfesser of Jeepology
                • Jun 15, 2000

One of the guys on the FSJ-List (Jim Blair) made his own spring packs by combining two sets of FSJ springs for the rear of his Cherokee. I don't remember the details, but it is possible. He got some lift and basically a stock ride out of the deal. He had a case of wag sag with both sets.
                Jeep Grounds
                RRV Homepage
                Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                1987 Grand Wagoneer
                AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                1999 Wrangler Sport
                4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Dive 30
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 31, 2001

I need to ask a question, and this comes from ignorance, so please don't be offended.

The owner of a 4x4 shop in Fort Collins told me that Add-A-Leaf systems had an average life span of a year before they would start to conform to the factory springs. Any truth to this? (This is from the same guy that told me that rear blocks are better than rear spring lifts, so consider the source).

Thanks,
                  Phil
                  "Hooper Drives the Boat, Chief!" from 'Jaws'
                  '85 G-Wag, AMC 360 - Edelbrock Performer Cam and Intake, Megasquirt TBI, TF 727 with TCI Kit, NP-208, 4" Skyjacker Softride, Detroit EZ Locker front and rear.

Comment

• kyjman
                    Banned
                    • Apr 04, 2001

Today I installed a set of the coil springs that sit between the rear axle, and frame on the rear of mu 82 J-10. I also installed a set of shock springs that go over the shocks. After a short test ride it seems to be a lot better ride, and alot stiffer. I'll know better after driving to work and back on Monday because I drive over a very rough road enroute. Cost $48.00....I'm happy with the fix so far. [img]null[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X