• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GWJeeper
    232 I6
    • Mar 28, 2019

The misery continues...hot start problem

So last Saturday after a bit of driving the '91GW wouldn't start after sitting for about 20-30 minutes. It was pretty warm and we had been running the A/C. I fiddled with it for about 1/2 hour and it fired up and we took off for home. Made it to about 1/2 mile from the house and it died just like the key had been turned off.

Suspecting the module I replaced it with a Standard piece from O'reilly' the next morning
    . Engine was fully cooled off and it fired right up. I let it run until it got to operating temp then shut it off for about 20 minutes and it would not start, sounded like it wanted to but no go. Took the module back to O'reilly's and it tested as bad, as did the original one I removed. Ordered a 2nd module and got the exact same results, cold start fine, but no hot start and that module also tested bad.

Ordered third module, but this time when I tried the hot start test I shot a bit of starter fluid in to make sure it wasn't a vapor lock issue. No hot start!

I ordered a 4th module from NAPA and in the mean time I changed out the pickup coil in the distributor. It started cold but was running horribly like it was far out of time, backfire, fart, belch, stumbled and died on acceleration, just ran like crap. I removed and reinstalled the new pickup to make sure I hadn't missed something but no good. I removed the new pickup and reinstalled the old one, started right up and ran like it's supposed to.

I'm now waiting for a module I ordered from BJ's to arrive tomorrow, according to them it's a Crown unit not a Standard. Fingers crossed for hot start fix.

Anyone have any advice on my procedure so far or what other component might be causing the problem. It gets pretty damn old replacing parts with "new" junk parts, thank God I'm not trying to make a living at this
    '91 GW
    2000 TJ
    '41 Ford Real honest to gosh woodie
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

put a new coil on too. maybe you have a bad coil overloading the modules. they're cheap too.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Cliff
      350 Buick
      • Mar 30, 2002

I would agree that something is taking out the modules. I had a similar problem on an older Dodge Ramcharger where a missing ground was killing the ignition module within a few days of installation. Just a simple ground, but it took a while to figure it out.
      Cliff Danley
      1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

NAPA quality especially on electrical components went out the window 10 or more years ago. I had to stop using NAPA parts as they just kept failing. I had three batteries fail in one 10 day period. All of them under two years old. Now it is nothing but Interstate batteries and as for parts, never NAPA and I am fine with Carquest or Federated which is actually my first choice. I never have any problems with Federated parts of any type. And you know what NAPA stands for?
        No Auto Parts Available....
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra
        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• jeepman42
          232 I6
          • Mar 13, 2019

hot start issues!?

GW's are sometimes Murphy in person. you might also check for good contact on coil contacts and even the simple/sneaky good battery contacts. Ask me how I know- several months of not knowing if I could get from point A to point B. other solutions possible. good luck.
          stolen quote - No one ever owns a GW thinking it will be a low maintenance vehicle!!
          Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• GWJeeper
            232 I6
            • Mar 28, 2019

Still trying to get the GW to run. Still starts and run great from a cold start, run until operating temperature, shut it off and wait 15-20 minutes and Zero. I've had my wife crank it while I administered a dose of starting fluid...Zero. Have now run through 4 modules and replaced the ignition coil...still nothing. Have rewired the coil connectons, have checked ground from module to distributor, it's good...continuity from - side of coil to module etc.etc. all looks good.

I'm really stumped, never had a car resist my efforts like this. Weird thing is if you crank it when hot and floor the pedal like you do if flooded the engine kind of gallops like it's trying to start but the timing is off, but when it's cold it starts and runs great. Everyone dig deep for ideas please this thing is kicking my butt.
            '91 GW
            2000 TJ
            '41 Ford Real honest to gosh woodie

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

mine had hard starts after getting hot
              and sitting 15-20 min.

but my problem was that I needed a heat insulating spacer under carb.

because it was boiling gas out of carb when it was hot and turned off.

hope you find problem.

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                232 I6
                • Jan 01, 2019

Just throwing ideas out there. How is the ground from the module to the battery when cold and hot? How are the other connections/continuity when hot? Is the alternator working right? Resistor wire at 1.35 ohms at coil?

I think the module also gets power off the power/accessory pin on the back of the fuse box. Maybe it's shorting?

I also bought a module from O'Reilly's but it never fried.
                '89 Grand Wagoneer
                AW4 Swap

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

what about distributor pickup?
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by babywag
                    what about distributor pickup?
                    I have had module failures from a bad pickup on Motorcraft ignition before.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Also, don't rule out the ty Duraspark wiring connectors.
                      Old plastic and poor design + 30yrs = problematic.
                      I have always converted them to the more modern weatherpak style.
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• mgmann
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 12, 2007

Same problem - pickup unit in the dist. bad

I had an identical problem in my 88GW although the ignition modules didn't keep going bad. I'd drive until it warmed up and then it would die and not start again until it cooled off.

Finally figured out that it was the pickup unit in the distributor. Easy/cheap fix and it has run like a champ ever since.

Probably not your problem, but just wanted to put it out there.

Comment

Working...
                        X