• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

1991 VIN Location - photo?

Hi All,

I've posted about this before but never found anything concrete. I'm looking for a VIN on the frame of my 1991 Grand Wagoneer but can't find one.

I know there's supposed to be one on the front of the passenger side rail, as well as possibly one on top of one of the rails at the rear.

I saw somebody else say that there should be one on the side of the driver's side frame rail, between the spring mount and the axle.

My frame has a pretty heavy coating on it which I don't want to strip off unnecessarily.

Does anybody have a photo of a VIN in any of these locations so I know exactly where to look/scrape?
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

It won't be the full VIN, just last sequential number set of VIN.

It is hard to find and see them.
    Usually front one is right behind the shock tower on top of rail.
    You will not be able to view them with just looking, you'll need a camera.
    They are hidden for a reason, for law enforcement to track stolen vehicles.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Brynjminjones
      258 I6
      • Jun 11, 2017

Thanks Tony, that's the exact kind of info I'm looking for It's only the last 6 digits I'm bothered about finding anyway.

If anyone knows any more locations that info would be much appreciated!
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
      1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

I've had ~5 or 6 down to just frames early & late models.
        Front by shock towers and rear above axle tube is the only place I have found/seen them.
        Left or right side but never both sides..
        Some had front but nothing on rear, some had both front and rear.
        So with all things Jeep...YMMV

On 2 of them a 79 frame & 89 frame damn near invisible with body on...
        Hidden well, very shallow stamping and dirt/grime covering them.

If you NEED for title stuff may need to consult with an inspector who is familiar with finding them??
        Tony

Comment

• Brynjminjones
          258 I6
          • Jun 11, 2017

Much appreciated, thank you!

Getting an inspector is probably out of the question as I think there are a couple of discrepancies from my Waggy's past life!
          I'm looking for my own curiosity as I want to trace its history.

It sounds then like finding the front one will be more likely.
          Just to check, is the top of the frame is this area here where I should be looking?

IMG_20200527_110636 by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr

Thanks again for your help!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Yep behind shock top of rail...however, with that coating it is unlikely you will find/see it?
            Tony

Comment

• Brynjminjones
              258 I6
              • Jun 11, 2017

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I just want to be armed with the right place to look for the day when I decide to start scraping!

Thanks again for all the help

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
              1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                258 I6
                • Jun 11, 2017

I know it's an old post, but I just wanted to update this in case it's helpful for anybody.

I've been looking for the VIN on the frame of my '91 for 4 years, and it turns out it was easy all along.
                I found the whole thing stamped into the side of the frame, right below the drivers door.
                I've been wire-wheeling through the undercoating to prep for paint and found it by accident!

Hope this might be helpful for somebody.

Waggy VIN by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr
                Last edited by Brynjminjones; 03-18-2021, 12:41 AM.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

I'll bet $ that isn't from the factory.
                  Have owned a lot of these things and not a single one of them had the full vin stamped like that on a frame.

Also looks dubious, some letters look crooked, and the double strike on a single digit screams it was done by hand.
                  Tony

Comment

• MysticRob
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
                    ...I think there are a couple of discrepancies from my Waggy's past life!
                    Would you mind sharing those concerns? I know 91s are supposed to be more coveted due to their lower production #s and last year produced, which to my mind would mean they're more likely to have repaired/forged discrepancies like what Tony mentioned about not only seeing your full VIN, but also how it was stamped.

I'll be under mine today so think I'll eyeball the spots on mine too.
                    --Rob--
                    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

I wonders it it was a UK requirement for import and so added after it was built. Maybe when it got off the boat or before it was loaded.

If that were the case I'd expect it to be in the usual place also.
                      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 09, 2014

Don't know where the jeep came from ,but this kind of numbering was standard for registering in Holland back in the days.
                        Have a 80 cj5 with the complete number into the frame and that was done by hand.
                        These days they do it with a mechanical device!
                        My J-4000 was done this way and it was almost impossible to read the numbers after a year ,so I stamped them in myself by hand and painted it.
                        Everybody knows how this kind of thing go ,but it's easier to do it yourself because let someone that is legalized to do it only damages your pride and joy .
                        Even if you have all the paperwork and registrations and a complete bookwork available they still screw things up at the DMV or MOT station.
                        (My J-4000 is registered as a J-20 because they didn't know a J-4000 and had to wait a couple months before getting a title and plates)
                        In Holland they don't accept half of the vin number in the frame ,so they put the complete number in.
                        I guess that it's done this way in the UK to!
                        Have seen a couple Landrovers through the years that came from the UK with this kind of numbering ,so nothing to worry about!
                        If the numbers are correct with the title you have that's all that counts!
                        Last edited by Heep-J4000; 03-17-2021, 08:18 AM.
                        Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
                        73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
                        80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
                        70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
                        85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
                        83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

On my 78 and 79 Chassis's the last 6 digits, date code, and another couple numbers were above my rear axle and slightly behind, on the driver's side of the frame. If I wipe the frame with my finger I can see them.

I bet SJTD is correct, I bet when it was imported, the UK required the full VIN be stamped on the frame in that location. I would not be surprised if there is another spot, with some VIN portions, somewhere on that frame, too. Like babywag suggests.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• MysticRob
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                            On my 78 and 79 Chassis's the last 6 digits, date code, and another couple numbers were above my rear axle and slightly behind, on the driver's side of the frame. If I wipe the frame with my finger I can see them.

I bet SJTD is correct, I bet when it was imported, the UK required the full VIN be stamped on the frame in that location. I would not be surprised if there is another spot, with some VIN portions, somewhere on that frame, too. Like babywag suggests.
                            That sounds plausible to me, considering the whole importation and inspection process. I didn't catch that OP is in the UK so that makes sense now that others have chimed in.

OP, did you find the last 6 of the VINs in the usual places too?
                            --Rob--
                            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                              258 I6
                              • Jun 11, 2017

Several of you have hit the nail on the head!

It's nothing to do with the UK, but it spent its previous life in the Netherlands. I had been wondering why everybody thought it shouldn't have a VIN in that spot, that explains why!
                              I didn't realize that was a rule there, but it makes sense now I know.

I'm just glad to have found a VIN on this thing. I've been looking for years but with no luck, I've always wanted to know its history.

I've now finally managed to trace it so I'm very happy!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                              1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
                              X