• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maybeadinosaur
    232 I6
    • Jul 29, 2015

Catalytic converter and emissions?

Hey everyone,
    PO removed the cat and emissions set up under the hood. My muffler was rusted out so I had it replaced but passed on a new cat, at the time, because of the cost. Now after a few years and a toddler around, we’re getting a little tired of the smell now and, while there’s a chance of a minor exhaust leak somewhere, I’m wondering if it’s worth getting a cat (and possibly have the emissions gear put back in).

I’m also not one for the loud rumble so I’m curious if it will help a little with sound.

What do you all think?
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

Put a cat on, and make sure the exhaust is run all the way out back and all joints are welded or clamped correctly. A good muffler will help with your noise also.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Yes! A CAT will reduce both stink and noise.
      If you don't weld or have access to one exhaust band clamps are the way to go for installing one. Save the labor $$ vs. a shop doing it for you.

The missing emissions equipment won't do anything for noise or smell.
      Fine tuning will also reduce stink, what most folks don't get about emissions is it is primarily for complete combustion which reduces noxious gases/odors.
      A poorly tuned engine will stink worse than one tuned for emissions.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• maybeadinosaur
        232 I6
        • Jul 29, 2015

Thanks for affirming what I thought. I know it adds pressure to the system and slightly slows exhaust but I can only imagine it is minor

I cant DIY this so Ill call around for pricing
        Last edited by maybeadinosaur; 05-25-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• 61Hawk
          258 I6
          • Jul 18, 2009

I just did this on my '89. I removed the air pump and all of the crap under the hood because the air pump locked up for the second time within three years. While I was replacing the muffler I cut off the air tube going to the catalytic converter and folded it over, then realized I should probably replace it with a a modern one. Put it on two weeks ago and between that and replacing the choke pull off I can now stand behind my GW and not tear up like I'm in a gas chamber. The only thing that make me pull away from sniffing the exhaust (seeing how much of a gas smell I could smell) was the heat, I couldn't smell anything. My old catalytic converter was completely gutted, I thought I was going to be able to make a little money off it but it was nothing but scrap metal.

If you're going to do it yourself, pull the muffler off, cut the catalytic converter off where it joins the down pipe (you're not going to beat the two apart), separate the remaining catalytic converter tube from the downpipe with a screwdriver wedged between the two of them. It's nothing I enjoyed doing, but the end results were worth it.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by maybeadinosaur
            I know it adds pressure to the system and slightly slows exhaust but I can only imagine it
            Thankfully, that hasn't really been true for a long time now. It's one of those persistent old rumors that gets repeated until everybody "knows" it must be true, despite being entirely bogus.

Old catalytic converters were, admittedly, notoriously restrictive. Modern cats add so little backpressure that it just isn't worth worrying about. You will not experience any measurable power loss by adding a modern cat. Exhaust noise will also be reduced a little.
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• maybeadinosaur
              232 I6
              • Jul 29, 2015

Well, I called my local muffler shop and they guy was very helpful. He recommended looking at the carb and vacuum first, saying the cat probably wouldn’t fix the smell, but could instead make it worse by heating up the (Possibly rich) exhaust.

My carb was rebuilt about 5k miles ago but hasn’t been tuned up since. Thinking I should start there...but I still want to get the noise down a little, too.

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                Thankfully, that hasn't really been true for a long time now. It's one of those persistent old rumors that gets repeated until everybody "knows" it must be true, despite being entirely bogus.

Old catalytic converters were, admittedly, notoriously restrictive. Modern cats add so little backpressure that it just isn't worth worrying about. You will not experience any measurable power loss by adding a modern cat. Exhaust noise will also be reduced a little.
                Wait, what? Everyone knows back pressure is good for torque so wouldn't and older cat be better?
                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

What what causes the smell? Incomplete combustion.

What do cats do. Oxidize the unburned HC's that stink.

Why wouldn't it help the smell?
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

lol...
                    a cat definitely reduces stank.
                    my youngest HATES exhaust smell.
                    She noticed reduced stank immediately after a new CAT was required on my 90 to pass smog.
                    I didn't notice difference but she did right away.
                    Tony

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                      Shakes hands with danger
                      • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by SJTD
                      Wait, what? Everyone knows back pressure is good for torque so wouldn't and older cat be better?
                      Yep. Pro tip: for heavy towing, shove a few pounds of russet potatoes into your tailpipe. Torque production will go through the roof! Plus, when you arrive at your destination, you'll have a tasty snack, hot and ready for the whole family to enjoy.
                      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                        Yep. Pro tip: for heavy towing, shove a few pounds of russet potatoes into your tailpipe. Torque production will go through the roof! Plus, when you arrive at your destination, you'll have a tasty snack, hot and ready for the whole family to enjoy.
                        I prefer to use burritos
                        Tony

Comment

• SJTD
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 26, 2012

Tailpipe taters?
                          Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• 61Hawk
                            258 I6
                            • Jul 18, 2009

Some people prefer to use expanding foam.

Comment

Working...
                            X