• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FleetFox
    258 I6
    • Apr 04, 2018

New Build Thread 82 J10 Honcho Sport Side

Hello All. New member and I wanted to go ahead and begin a thread on the rebuild of this Honcho I recently bought. I started my teens as a rabid Jeep fan building and driving multiple CJs through high school and college. Budget was always the major constraint in those days and I never really got a chance to build the jeep I really wanted. fast forward 25 years and I know have the patirnce and a little bankroll to build something the way I actually want to. Aftera few years of looking at clapped out, rusted out, cut up and hacked Jeeps; I stumbled on this Honcho in a local listing. I t was in sad shape having sat for years neglected in the seller's back yard. The truck was solid with no rot and some nice features so long and short it ended up coming home with me.
    I am going to be building this truck as a resto-mod, not a restoration. It will not be a cut up rock crawler, and it will not be concours. I plan on rebuilding each component, up grading where necessary, but I am not shooting for a factory new stock truck in the end. I twill not be red. It will be lifted on larger tires, it will not have numbers matching drive train and interior options. It will be pretty, it will be capable, it will turn heads. And I will enjoy (almost) every minute of getting it there. Follow along if you're interested. I will update regularly with pics.

This isn't my first rodeo, but I know there will be questions and I will need some feedback. I value the tech in the forum, i hope I can only add as much as I take.

So, enough of that here's some pics if it arriving on the farm, and the first weekend of real work.

This is about 7 pm Friday
  • scout4bta
    258 I6
    • Apr 26, 2018

Beautiful truck. Looking forward to the progress. A renovation.
    1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

A new thread using PB. Please do everyone a favor and use another site to host your pichers.

Pretty please.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't see the ads on PB but I'm in the minority.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• jeepman1
        258 I6
        • Jul 22, 2015

Watching!

My 83 Honcho is a slow-go... very slow. But I'll watch yours and get re-inspired! Good luck
        Oh, No photobucket plz
        : 98 9er
        '83 Honcho j10
        '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
        '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• FleetFox
          258 I6
          • Apr 04, 2018

SJTD, i agree, it's awful. Can you, or someone else recommend a better alternative please? I am going to put everything in a google drive as well. I can wrench, i can weld, I can do just about anything with my hands, but technology is a little slow for me.

FleetFox

Comment

• Achilles
            350 Buick
            • May 12, 2004

I am in the process of transferring all the photos in my build thread to Flickr. It seems to be working well!
            Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
            MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
            Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• FleetFox
              258 I6
              • Apr 04, 2018

Thank You Achilles, let us try again:

Arrival:

Comment

• FleetFox
                258 I6
                • Apr 04, 2018

Comment

• FleetFox
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 04, 2018

8pm Friday:

Comment

• FleetFox
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 04, 2018

6pm Sunday:

There IS a learning curve!

More updates after this weekend.

FleetFox

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                      304 AMC
                      • May 01, 2004

Looks like a good project. No need to worry about originality, someone already upgraded your axles to 8-lug, maybe from a J20.
                      The J10 came with 6-lug D44's.
                      One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                      http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                      95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                      50 CJ3A
                      77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• lycanthrope
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 26, 2007

I am at the same point. I just picked up a honcho sportside(#3) that needs a complete resto.
                        Mine came partially disassembled . There is some rust, but the body is very straight.
                        tommy
                        '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
                        '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
                        '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
                        '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
                        '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• FleetFox
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 04, 2018

More tear down. This weekend the engine was stripped and the drive train was removed. Things moved slower, but without incident. Once out of the truck the 3 units were separated. The NP208 will get rebuilt, as will the motor. I'm ditching the Torqueflite in favor of a TH400 and adaptor. Next week the cab gets stripped and likely removed from the frame.

Comment

• FleetFox
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 04, 2018

So I'm planning out my suspension and wheel tire size choices. I'm pretty sure I want to run 33s or 35s on 16" wheels. I'm torn on lift height. 4" with BJs front shackles and rear add a leafs or the full BJ's 6". I've read through the lift threads, and viewed all of your pics and it's been helpful. I'm adding a couple of images below. These trucks all have the stance and height I'm looking for. Any idea what suspensions/ tire combos they are sporting please.
                            Last edited by FleetFox; 05-20-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X