power steering fluid or atf? what's best for 88?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

power steering fluid or atf? what's best for 88?

88gwag got funky steering.steers like it has a frozen kingpin(doesn't return) pump could be weak but it's not noisy. doesnt really leak any where. somebody suggested that i flush system and put new stuff back in. what is spec for 88 gwag powersteering fluuid or atf?TIA!!

------------------
    '88 gwag,pure stock
    \'88 gwag,pure stock
  • christopher
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andy d:
    88gwag got funky steering.steers like it has a frozen kingpin(doesn't return) pump could be weak but it's not noisy. doesnt really leak any where. somebody suggested that i flush system and put new stuff back in. what is spec for 88 gwag powersteering fluuid or atf?TIA!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>sounds like you need to adjust your steering gear. its on the box, loosen lock nut, turn screw clockwise until there is only 1/2to 1 inch of play and retighten the lock nut. this should do it. I cant see why the fluid would do this. and its steering fluid definatly not atf. hope this helps

Comment

According to Haynes and my local PepBoys database the PS system uses ATF. This is WRONG! I have since learned that many items in both the above databases are WRONG!

After purchasing a TSM, consulting the FSJ-List members and reading my owners manual I am convinced PS fluid is the correct stuff!

I had to flush the system twice to get rid of all the ATF! I let one month go by between the flushes to let the old, burnt, crusty ATF work it's way out in the fresh PS fluid

------------------
      -Phil
      '91 GW "The Swank Tank"
      360/727/229/+2" lift

Comment

• andy d
        Shade Tree Shaman
        • May 06, 2000

[

I had to flush the system twice to get rid of all the ATF! I let one month go by between the flushes to let the old, burnt, crusty ATF work it's way out in the fresh PS fluid

[/B][/QUOTE]after flushing did the steering ease up?

------------------
        '88 gwag,pure stock
        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

Working...
        X