X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backroadin'
    350 Buick
    • Aug 11, 2004

Hmmm..... Don't know for sure, but I seem to recall something bolted to the back of the Tcase like that which the driveshaft was attached to. I really can't remember if there was a front u-jount or not. Can't know for sure untill I get under there again in a few days. If I have that, am I stuck with it, or can I swap it out? Or do I need a new shaft built/bought? Does it have that up front, too, or are the front shafts less of a problem?
    1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Well, when you get to checking it's time to figure out what transfer case you have also.

I have heard of folks using that rear flange from the B&T joint for a HiAngle rear shaft, I have even sold one just for that purpose, it's not really necessary for most regular wheeling.
      For mine I found a member here with a regular yoke and then had the drive shaft from an '85 GW reworked to the proper length.
      Those measurments will need to be taken after the lift.

The front shaft should be good to go for a 4" lift, at least mine is holding up fine.

I mentioned the transfer case because by 73 you could have a QuadraTrac and although I have seen a few I know nothing about them other than they are a fulltime case in stock form.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• backroadin'
        350 Buick
        • Aug 11, 2004

It's a Dana20. So if I have a B&T, I can switch to regular yoke off the T-case and lengthen up a shaft to fit? I know a guy at a machine shop that extends driveshafts, so that wouldn't be a problem. I will find out exactly what's under there probably tomorrow. (I live in town, so I gotta keep it at a friends house. He loves the FSJ's as well, has owned a few, and we actually had to fight over who would get this one!! He has a wife and two kids and I don't, so I won!!!!!)
        1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• popeye44
          350 Buick
          • Jul 19, 2003

Just an FYI, My 74 had a ball and trunnion as well.. strange setup indeed. It's the t18 with D20 setup. I heard it was unusual for a 74. I blew the trunnion out driving it home from where I bought it. I ended up putting a flush mount yoke onto the plate the trunnion bolted to and put a driveline to that. I'm not happy with the setup but it works. I'll buy a d20 yoke and extend driveliine later. "a j10 driveline would probably work if I could find one" shortening a shaft is much cheaper "about half the cost"

best of luck on new project. There's heaps of knowledgeable folks here and they've been a lifesaver in working on mine.
          MORPHADITE: 1974 360,HEI,t18a, Cherokee S

If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

• backroadin'
            350 Buick
            • Aug 11, 2004

Thanks, popeye. I've got the 3-speed. Good to also know about a J10 shaft if I need it. BTW, I like your quote!! (I'd give ya one of those thumbs up faces, but I ain't figured out how to yet!!)

Comment

Working...
            X