What size Speedbleeders for front calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size Speedbleeders for front calipers?

Russell (Edelbrock) makes speedbleeders that I've used in the past and absolutely think are invaluable. Anyway, I ordered a set from summit based off the measurements for the J10, (since the 62-91 GrandWagoneer wasn't listed), part #639590, a 3/8-24 thread 1" long bleeder.

Well it doesn't fit these new calipers I have ready to go on, (cardone standard remans from rockauto.com @10.79 a piece). I took the standard speedbleeder out and compared it along side the russel parts, thread pitch is more coarse vs. the 639590.

I took the standard bleeder from the remans to home depot and measured on their wall gauge in the bolt isle. Best I can tell its an M10-1.5 thread, and I will need a 1", or 25mm long speedbleeder. Yeah metric, I was supplied too! It was a little loose however....but I did try all the other standard thread sizes!

Has anybody used these before and what thread pitch and length did you get. Better yet can anybody that has a good quality gauge measure one of your bleeders and post. You would really be helping me out. Right now I have one crusty bleeder that twisted off in my right front caliper, and was only able to bleed 3 ends of my brakes system, so the rear locks easily in snow now. Scary!!!

Will really appreciate some help!

[ December 13, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Jeepeta ]

Here Are The Part Numbers:

Originally posted by Jeepeta
    Okay guys, I tried the metric ones and they fit the front perfectly. Rears went in without issue either. (part numbers and prices below from summitracing.com)

Word of advice: Don't be afraid to torque them either, the paste that was coated on the treads causes some resistance and you might think they are in the whole way, but they aren't and will leak. Tighten them down to where you think they are in the whole way and have a partner press the brakes to see if anything comes out, if not then your are ready to proceed with 1 person brake bleeds. Well worth the money in convenience and air free brake system results...Somebody should add this information to the FAQ.

RUS-639530 Brake Bleeders, Speed Bleeders, 5/16 in.-24 Thread, 1 in. Overall Length, Steel, Pair $9.88

RUS-639580 Brake Bleeders, Speed Bleeders, 10mm x 1.5 Thread, 30mm Overall Length, Steel, Pair $9.88
    Thanks for taking the hit on this one Jeepeta.
    Tad
    Last edited by Tad; 01-13-2007, 06:12 AM.
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

1/4" npt?
    \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

Go down to your local store and buy them from the HELP! section. Since you own an FSJ, I'm sure you know where the HELP! section is. LOL!
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• brent
        304 AMC
        • Feb 14, 2003

Wow, if 3/8ths didnt work, and 1/4 is a bust. I would've bet what's left of my paycheck on 5/16ths without a doubt.
        But METRIC??? What the hell happened? I got cardones from Checker, 5/16ths if I did want a speedbleeder but I declined. Wish I could help...almost wondering of there's an adaptor? but that sounds kind of funny (not haha).
        Keep posted how it turns out cause I'm still thinking about speedbleeders.
        Brent
        79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
        -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• nograin
          304 AMC
          • Dec 19, 2000

I think you are right. I was working on this at one time, can't recall what I had figured and where I wrote it down, but I think that is right. If the shop you use has a set of calipers in stock, see if they'll check it for you. NAPA was selling speed bleeders as were some other places. Probably all come from the same one or two manufacturers.

Heck the power steering pump has two metric bolts on it, a few other oddball metrics wouldn't surprise me. Both of these parts (calipers and p/s pump) are GM - AC/Delco I think.
          '85 Grand Wagoneer
          360 727auto, NP229
          body by beer (PO)
          carries wood inside
          no "wood" outside
          My other car is a fish

Comment

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm going to take a quess and return these and get a replacement for the M10-1.5, and hope they are tight enough to seal up. I will abosolutely post my finding for the benefit of the list.

One thing I've been thinking is perhaps remanned calipers are rethreaded as part of the refurb process. Seems to make sense to me. I mean I am sending back my old calipers for core and one has a twisted off bleeder in it. How do they handle that?

[ December 14, 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Jeepeta ]

Comment

• chr1s
              360 AMC
              • Jun 17, 2003

thread Hi-jack in progress:
              Hey man I saw a GWag on Paper Mill this morning I (right where the Springfield Township Bldg is) I thought it was you so I slowed down a bit, wasnt you but it was what looked like a MINT GWag with two OOOLD people in it. Im starting to see alot more around. Maybe its the weather... dunno.
              Anyway hope the Jeep is treating you well and you get your brakes straightened out.

thread Hi-jack complete.
              87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
              88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
              "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

Hey Chris, how you doing? Are you trying to say mine isn't mint? How is your jeep these days. How come I never see you in it. Jeep that takes regular isn't much more expensive to operate vs. BMW with premium, at least that's my justification to keep the mileage of the M, and well I only have summer tires now.

BTW my Jeep is further unique now. I found and installed an oem brush guard up front, I'm sure you'll see me on 309 or paper mill soon. I've been driving the jeep daily now. Listen for the new flowmaster next time I pass you [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• chr1s
                  360 AMC
                  • Jun 17, 2003

NICE !! I drove past you in my wag once but you must have been messing with the radio, lol, I beeped but you didnt look up. You will see my wag more cuz the 330 has been officially *retired* for the winter. I have to put the jeep down again for about a week because its getting re-geared in a couple weeks. After that, the lift goes on. I do want to hear the flowmaster (which series did u get?) I was gonna email ya once i got the lift and all on so we could meet up. Enjoy the crappy weather we're supposed to get today
                  88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
                  "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

Originally posted by chr1s:
                    NICE !! I drove past you in my wag once but you must have been messing with the radio, lol, I beeped but you didnt look up. You will see my wag more cuz the 330 has been officially *retired* for the winter.

-smart!!!

I have to put the jeep down again for about a week because its getting re-geared in a couple weeks. After that, the lift goes on. I do want to hear the flowmaster (which series did u get?)

-70 big block series. I wouldn't get any louder than that, I found a guy on ebay with them that was accepting offers, 90 bucks plus a lil for ship.

I was gonna email ya once i got the lift and all on so we could meet up.

------
                    sounds good!

Enjoy the crappy weather we're supposed to get today

----
                    and I drove the M3 today, silly me.

Comment

• chr1s
                      360 AMC
                      • Jun 17, 2003

you drove the M today...man

*as I look out the window and notice it is indeed snowing*
                      88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE

Comment

Yeahbut maybe I will be okay, as I am carrying extra weight. I have 2" of snow on it that never melted from the last storm cuz I couldn't get it in the garage in time. Can't believe the trip up 309 this morning didn't budge it.

Mandatory Jeep content. I ordered replacement M10-1.5 from summit yesterday, expected delivery tomorrow. I don't mind being the guinea pig for the list.

I will try the M10-1.5 in both my old calipers and the cardone rebuilt ones. Then we will know once and for all guys!

Comment

Okay guys, I tried the metric ones and they fit the front perfectly. Rears went in without issue either. (part numbers and prices below from summitracing.com)

Word of advice: Don't be afraid to torque them either, the paste that was coated on the treads causes some resistance and you might think they are in the whole way, but they aren't and will leak. Tighten them down to where you think they are in the whole way and have a partner press the brakes to see if anything comes out, if not then your are ready to proceed with 1 person brake bleeds. Well worth the money in convenience and air free brake system results...Somebody should add this information to the FAQ.

RUS-639530 Brake Bleeders, Speed Bleeders, 5/16 in.-24 Thread, 1 in. Overall Length, Steel, Pair $9.88

RUS-639580 Brake Bleeders, Speed Bleeders, 10mm x 1.5 Thread, 30mm Overall Length, Steel, Pair $9.88

Comment

• nograin
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 19, 2000

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            '85 Grand Wagoneer
                            360 727auto, NP229
                            body by beer (PO)
                            carries wood inside
                            no "wood" outside
                            My other car is a fish

Comment