• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonthomasfrance
    304 AMC
    • Sep 04, 2001

(TOM) BDS 4" Lift Installation on a '76 Wagoneer TIPS

Items of note when installing the BDS' 4" Leaf Suspension System:

1. Bolts will seize. Use a 12" breaker bar.
    2. You may have to grind the back of the rear springs to get them to fit in the shackles. Take the rear shackles all the way off first to tell if you need too.
    3. The gastank skidplate may need to be taken off to reach a bolt/nut.
    4. I recieved two types of shocks, two long ones and two shorter ones. Check out all shocks, put the longer ones in the back.
    5. I just noticed on the rear spring, the front "clip" holding the leaves together is rubbing on the frame under extreme articulation. Check your's! It many need to be moved.
    6. If possible find a shop with a large lift that can raise the body of the jeep. Makes things wonderfull. And then you can stand under the jeep.
    7. Have a friend help!

I am not a good mechanic. With the proper tools, a shop with a lift, and a friend; we finished in 7 hours. I do realize that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a auto hobby shop. But if you smooze and make friends with mechanics, chances are you could use their shops on the weekends!

Again, I am not a good mechanic. I'm dumb. But if I was able to install a 4" lift, so can you.

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: dippythelovebug ]

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Sitting Bull ]
    jason thomas france
    GoFSJ.com/fsj
    258 I6
    • Apr 19, 2001

Now that you've had a couple weeks or so to break the springs in, how does the BDS lift ride? Have you noticed better flex or is it about the same as stock, and do the BDS lifts come with the millitary wrapped spring eye?
    ~newbie (...by name, not by reputation)<P>\"I figure I make pretty good bucks, so I might as well go all out and pop for the fullsize\" -Ben Stiller (Gaylord Focker) \"Meet the Parents\"<P>*\'91 Ford Explorer (2wd poseur with 30x9.5 BFG\'s)<BR>*FSJ to be named later

Comment

• Ol'Cowboy
      232 I6
      • Aug 20, 2001

I've got the BDS 4" lift on my 83 Wag and it's a great set up. Not a harsh ride and the flex is very good. The kit came with the military wrap rear springs but they would not fit with the shackle. I took a saw saw and cut them off. It took all of about 4 hours to install front and rear springs. Two more hours removing the old pitman arm and pulling the emergency cable to get enough slack to work right. I would recommend the BDS kit.
      PS. The rear spring clip does rub on the frame. Not bad but it does rub.
      83 Wag. Limited<BR>4\" BDS<BR>3\" TrailMaster Body Lift<BR>33-12.50 Yokohama Geolanders

Comment

258 I6
        • Apr 19, 2001

'Ol Cowboy...are the BDS springs as flexy as the stock springs? Does the ride differ much from OE springs?
        ~newbie (...by name, not by reputation)<P>\"I figure I make pretty good bucks, so I might as well go all out and pop for the fullsize\" -Ben Stiller (Gaylord Focker) \"Meet the Parents\"<P>*\'91 Ford Explorer (2wd poseur with 30x9.5 BFG\'s)<BR>*FSJ to be named later

Comment

• Ol'Cowboy
          232 I6
          • Aug 20, 2001

The BDS springs flex quite a bit more than the stock springs. On asphalt I can't tell much difference in the ride quality. The "Tuna Boat" rode like a Cadillac before, rides like a Lincoln now. I haven't checked flex but I would suspect some where in the 500's with the swaybar disconnected. Just a guess. I know my approach angle is much better now with the lift and the 33's. There is several creek crossings on the ranch that I could not cross with anything except my CJ-7 and now I can go just about any place it can and in comfort.
          I can't speek to other lift kits but I'm pleased with the BDS's kit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          83 Wag. Limited<BR>4\" BDS<BR>3\" TrailMaster Body Lift<BR>33-12.50 Yokohama Geolanders

Comment

Working...
          X