So, would an H1 Hummvee be considered an FSJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, would an H1 Hummvee be considered an FSJ?

Ex-military ones are now on sale starting at $10,000

http://govplanet.com./jsp/s/search.i...=0&c=3468&sm=0
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.
  • bufurd
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 13, 2008

NO, they would NOT! Wouldn't mind having one, but a FSJ they will never be
    Current fleet
    Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
    Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
    Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
    Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
    07 JK Wife bought new...
    13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• YJ-4BT
      232 I6
      • May 13, 2010

Originally posted by bufurd
      NO, they would NOT! Wouldn't mind having one, but a FSJ they will never be
      ^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^

Comment

• lkmarsh
        350 Buick
        • Nov 21, 2008

I wouldn't mind hearing about the H1 from someone who owns one and does the work on it. Better than having him hang out with the Escalade bunch...
        Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
        69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
        68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
        68 Impala wagon 327/400
        73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
        04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
        73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• karrarararararar
          232 I6
          • Aug 16, 2014

nah I'd get one of these

or

Last edited by karrarararararar; 12-15-2014, 09:54 PM.
          1979 J10 360/TH400/QT
          1986 Musang SVO
          2014 Focus ST

Comment

• DieselSJ
            304 AMC
            • May 19, 2003

My ex-Father-in-law has a civilian version H1 with the 6.5turbo in it. I drove it once. It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever driven. It was heavy and it drives like it is heavy. It certainly isn't made for long distance driving. Sure, if someone offered to give me one I would take it...then turn around and sell it and buy another Jeep.
            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
            -99 XJ Limited.
            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
            -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• DBX11
              258 I6
              • May 18, 2009

Those are not jeeps. They are almost as cool tho. I worked on them in the Marine Corps and we had tons of fun driving them in the desert. The military versions have water proofed boxes that hold relays and several other doodads that may prove difficult to find or rewire of they go out. Although not impossible. The civilian versions are similar but have their differences as far as anything that requires regulation by DOT like extra wiring around the bolts for the brake rotors and guards skidplates etc. mostly the things you may not replace if it broke unless it was vital to the operation of the component. I remember once on the highway an entire convoy drove over a milk crate that was in the center of our lane without touching it on our diffs , it would take 48" tires to do that with a jeep.

Comment

• thechier86
                327 Rambler
                • Mar 16, 2009

Real jeeps have solid axles and metal bumpers.

That said, a hummer would be neat until I tried to wheel it in Tennessee and couldn't fit between the trees. A waggy barely does it....
                buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

No. But is the Jeep Unlimited really an H4?

I thought AM General had an agreement with the Gov that surplus H1's would never be sold???
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                    Banned
                    • Mar 01, 2009

"Real Jeeps"? Lets not go there.
                    I hate that petty pissing-contest crap. "Real Jeeps have Round Headlights!" "Real Jeeps have flat fenders." You know what: "Real Jeeps are made by Jeep corporation." But that's wrong too, because under Willy's or Kaiser's reign, Mitsubishi was given a contract to build CJs in Japan. Ford built "Real Jeeps" during WW2. And Bantam invented the thing. So stuff it.

The American Motors General built HMMWV is just as much of a Jeep as the Kaiser built M715. Infinitely more capable and refined as well.

Both were made by Kaiser's Government Vehicle division. When AMC bought Kaiser in 1970, they split off American Motors General as its own entity to exclusively build vehicles for government contract. And renamed it. But it was the same essential company, just with a different name. The US Military had an issue with AMG and was not going to buy the HMMWV that AMG offered because they had a "No foreign suppler" policy. And AMC as well as AMG were still partially owned by Renault, the French car company. AMG restructured and became a fully US owned entity, but the manufacturing plant and employoess didn't change. That allowed the US Military to buy their product with a clear conscience and History was made.

You can argue that AMG is not the same as AMC all day long. And you would be right. But they started out related companies under the Kaiser Jeep corporation. And the designers of the HMMWV were Jeep guys. Ever wondered why the HMMWV looks like a squat, widened TJ?
                    Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 12-16-2014, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

Well, never mind my "Real Jeeps have 401s" comment.
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 68glad
                        350 Buick
                        • Jun 01, 2006

Sweet......my amc eagle is now a "jeep".
                        68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
                        78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                          Banned
                          • Mar 01, 2009

according to the original spec for the 1/4 ton 4wd truck, its sure close. And its made by AMC which produced civvy Jeeps for 16 years. So yeah, I guess in some way you could say that. But its not a fullsize "Jeep".

Its also a gremlin.
                          Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 12-16-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 15, 2010

they are selling them but you can not make them street legal, have to sign a contract on that. only for off road/ farm use

Comment

• Fleg
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 13, 2014

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                              they are selling them but you can not make them street legal, have to sign a contract on that. only for off road/ farm use
                              ....in some states.

Comment

Working...
                              X